PPP Seminar - Atlantic City, Nj

carusoam

2013 MAPA SAFETY FOUNDATION PPP

($845.00, schedule your class today. Be proficient in your airplane.)

February 8-10                         Pilot Proficiency Program, Ft. Myers, FL

April 26-28                              Pilot Proficiency Program, Santa Maria, CA

May 31- June 2                       Pilot Proficiency Program, Oklahome City, OK

September 12- 14                   Pilot Proficiency Program, Atlantic City, NJ

October 11- 13                       Pilot Proficiency Program, Owensboro, KY

Anyone going to these???

I wanted to get some "refresher" type training. So, I went to the MAPA site and found this list.

Best regards,

-a-

It is excellent training. Over the years I've attended 8 or so of the events. I will be at Atlantic City this year. You can tailor the flight training to what you need personally. In addition you will receive an ICP, BFR and night currency. This is is addition to the fun and comradirie of working with fellow Mooney pilots. It also provides a discount for many insurance policies.

Me too. I have done three. The main advantage is that you will be flying with some of the best Mooney instructors out there. Generally I have been paired up with an instructor who flies my same model in real life, and has quite a lot of experience with it, so in addition to the training there is a great exchange of operating information.

Typical schedule is a day of classes of Friday, then IFR work one day on the weekend and VFR another day so as noted you get both a BFR and IPC signoff. You will fly a few hours on Sat. and Sun., and the rest of the time you will be in ground school. There is a banquet one evening. They do something special for many of the PPP's, so one year it was in Denver and they had mountain flying available (I landed and Leadville), last year it was in Olathe with a tour of the Garmin factory and classroom work by Garmin at their facility.

I've been twice, first time a month after finishing my insurance dual with a goal of "learning the right way to fly my Mooney." My assigned instructor was Jerry Johnson, who also has a C with about 20 years' time in it compared to my 2 months. He accommodated my ability, showed me what I was not doing right and how it should be done. We skipped the IFR parts for additional VFR work. Really boosted my ability and my confidence.

Went back to Niagara last fall. It was a nice escape with my wife. Seems that I haven't picked up too many bad habits--all that time with a CFII getting my Instrument Rating must still be paying off. The weather rearranged the ground school / flight time schedules and I ended up missing some of the maintenance discussions, but it was still time and money well spent.

All day Friday, class work [8 hours].

Expect two 2-hour flight sessions on Saturday and Sunday, along with twelve hours in the classroom. Topics range from Weight & Balance to Weather Interpretation to Owner Maintenance to many other things.

You will leave with a notebook or two full of good reference material, much of which has been covered with you. You will have logbook signoffs for Flight Review, FAA Wings and IPC [if appropriate]. You will have flown your plane in attitudes you may not have experienced lately [MCA, stall horn buzzing, for several minutes, with turns in both directions; accelerated departure-type stalls; I even had a tower-requested "immediate right turn and  hold over the college" when controller(s) cleared two Mooneys to land on intersecting runways . . . I can only suppose that few controllers are used to handling six or eight Mooneys at the same time.]. Even my simulated engine out landing on a 2400 x 40 strip of pavement went well, even though it was my first one in a couple of years. [Oops! Need to practice those more often.] Good times, good instruction, a good banquet on Saturday to chat with the other pilots/spouses.

I recommend going at least once every few years. The much-vaunted Training Certificate did get me almost 20% rate reduction at renewal last month, too.  :P

Dan B. bravo Gx. 423ps I will be going to my first. Be nice to compare to a few of the other professional courses I have taken usually every couple years. Used Doug C in Beaufort SC a few times but the Mooney in him has left and he is only handleing heavier metal, I asked him since I went a few times but was rejected. Hope Mapa is all every one says. C unguys I. A C. Hold onto your wallets. Dan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ted Corsones has put out an email with the 2015 Atlantic City date for Mapa PPP....

September 11 - 13.

Consider taking the training if you can...

Best regards,

-a-

Ted's email.....

Mooney Pilots:

In an effort to provide you with sufficient time to adjust your schedules I am providing you with this email regarding our upcoming Mooney pilot proficiency program at Atlantic City, New Jersey. It will be held at Atlantic City International Airport (KACY), on the weekend of September 11-13, 2015. New Jersey in late summer has proven to be one of our more popular venues.

If it appears that your schedule will allow you to be with us at Atlantic City call Lela Hughes at MAPA (830-315-8008) or send her an email at lela.hughes@sbcglobal.net and she will register you for the program.

We, like you, are aware of the state of the economy. We have kept it in mind as we negotiated on your behalf. We will be staying at the Homewood Suites by Hilton, 3008 English Creek Avenue, Egg Harbor Twp, NJ 08234. By booking the hotel early, we secured an excellent “high season” room rate of $94– which includes a complimentary breakfast. The hotel has a cutoff date for the reduced group rate. So, if it looks like you may be able to attend this program, please call the hotel at this time at 609-272-7771 and inform the registration clerk that you are part of the MAPA Safety Foundation group and that you are requesting the group rate of $94 a night, and that you will be arriving on Thursday, September 10, 2015 and departing on Sunday, September 13, 2015 (or such other dates appropriate to you). Then, if your schedule changes at a later date, the hotel will allow you to cancel your reservation 48 hours before your arrival date without any penalty. Your early registration also helps us to firm up our instructor corps for the event.

The FBO is Landmark Aviation. The general manager is Mike Agee. His telephone number is 603-383-3993 and his email address is magee@landmarkaviation.com

For those who may be interested, we will be offering night recurrent training on Thursday or Friday, or both, starting at sundown. Send me an email if you are interested in night flying so that I can make certain that I have enough flight instructors for your training.

This Mooney pilot proficiency program has been approved by the FAA. At the completion of the program, each eligible pilot will be endorsed for a flight review, instrument proficiency check, FAA WINGS program, and will receive an FAA recognized Certificate of Successful Completion of a Mooney specific recurrent training program. This certificate will prove valuable to you when it becomes necessary to renew your airplane insurance policy. Many insurance companies are now requiring confirmation that you have completed a recurrent training program prior to quoting you a premium rate or offering you a renewal policy; and many of them are providing pilots a 10% discount on the annual premium upon proof of the successful completion of our program. Here is what John Allen of Falcon Insurance Agency (1-800-880-MAPA) recently wrote in an article published in the MAPA Log:

“MAPA members know the importance that the aviation insurance industry places on recurrent raining for pilots. This is based on the fact that both actual experience and statistics have shown that pilots who are current and well trained are better equipped to handle in-flight emergencies. Further, actual training is intended to prevent bad habits from forming which create hazardous situations. However, the fact of the matter is that the quality of the training pilots get is no better than the course of instructions that they are receiving and the proficiency of the CFI that is providing it. Therefore, it is important to make sure that the training is of good value.

“The Pilot Proficiency program offered to MAPA members through the MAPA Safety Foundation is an excellent source of training and proficient Certified Flight Instructors.”

Come join us. It will be a mini-vacation in this “By the Sea” city. Family members are welcome. Take an extra day of two. There are few places where you can experience so many world-class attractions. It will also be a time to relax and enjoy yourself while you learn more about your Mooney airplane and hone your flying skills with a weekend of recurrent training among Mooney pilots and friends – and skilled Mooney instructors.

Please check our website for more information about our organization at Mooney Safety Foundation.

My best regards to each of you. I look forward to seeing you soon. Always remember, that Safety Is No Accident.

Ted Corsones, ATP, MCFII

Past President & Treasurer

MAPA Safety Foundation, Inc.

Anyone going to AC , might want to fly with Chris , I flew with him to Easton this year and he really taught me a lot about how I fly , Not so much as an instructor from the right seat , but with an EXTENSIVE debrief afterwards , he lives near AC and I felt like I learned a lot....