Ashamed of Mooneyspace (Poll)

201er

65 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ashamed of the fighting on Mooneyspace lately?

• Yes, cut it out, take it outside
    • No, I like stirring up a fight or watching one

...I find it ironic that a person or a group of people could get so worked up over relatively anonymous postings to a web site which you're not even paying to be a member of. I sign on to the site several times a week to look at the pictures mainly. For me its pure entertainment value and maybe a bit of interest in learning more about Mooney's that

keeps me coming back. Life is too short and there are more important things in life then what's said on a public web site by people who most times don't even k ow each other.

Does anyone know how many people died in Afghanistan this week?

Have fun, smoke a cigar, keep your blood pressure low, go fly your

planes LoP and join the Tea Party!

Becca-

I sincerely apologize if you felt I was saying you specifically were unattractive. I have no idea what you look like. I was merely trying to counter the position that Hooters Girls are NOT role models. Why not? I don't like stereotypes or putting everyone into a category. I believe in merits.

I am a former Army Officer. I was uncomfortable with some of the sexist comments, but I did chuckle at a few...but didn't post any other than to say she reminded me of an actress...and my wife.

Hell, I even apologize for making fun of the hyphenated name as YOU took it to my making fun of your given name...which I would never do.

Not ready to say "sorry" to HLD, but I'm sure he will be fine without me in his corner. He has you.

Scott

...I find it ironic that a person or a group of people could get so worked up over relatively anonymous postings to a web site which you're not even paying to be a member of. I sign on to the site several times a week to look at the pictures mainly. For me its pure entertainment value and maybe a bit of interest in learning more about Mooney's that

keeps me coming back. Life is too short and there are more important things in life then what's said on a public web site by people who most times don't even k ow each other.

Does anyone know how many people died in Afghanistan this week?

Have fun, smoke a cigar, keep your blood pressure low, go fly your

planes LoP and join the Tea Party!

Too many (died). Did all those yesterday, need some more :<) ideas...

Love the site for technical info - was a huge help as I searched for and purchased a J.

I get nothing out of the social crap. Don't know what I would of thought if I just opened this for the first time.

Al

I enjoy seeing a passionate argument on technical issues. For me it crosses the line when the personal insults start flying, or when the technical argument becomes a mantra.
Agree 100 percent. I joined this group about a year ago when i purchased a Mooney because of the wealth of information available here from some very experienced pilots, mechanics, and long time Mooney owners. I don't agree with everything I read here, but enjoy the lively discussions and in the end make up my own mind on what suggestions/recommendations to accept. That being said, I don't see any scenario in which I would purposely disrespect a member of this community simply because I thought their point was off, plain wrong, or even bordering on stupidity. At some point you have to accept that there are different points of view, you should not expect others to see things your way just because you think you are right, and under no circumstances should any of us allow a discussion to degrade into personal attacks. If you can't help yourself, then take it off the forum and go to PM and duke it out there and spare the rest of us. Some of us also need to grow a little thicker skin. You don't need to go off the deep end because of a little poking!! It may not have been intended as a personal attack, and even if it was, take the high road brother, it just ain't worth it!!

Nobody, and certainly no forum, is or ever will be perfect. Overall, this site has policed itself much better than the moderators are able to do at Pilots of America, and that is much better than AOPA Forums!

Some people get excited sometimes. After reading the linked articles in the GG thread and not seeing the connection, I just ignored the thread after that and missed the namecalling. Hopefully mine wasn't mentioned.

Whenever I read repeated assertions that LOP/ROP is the only good, safe way to fly; or that night flying is too dangerous to attempt in a single-engine piston aircraft; or that flight in IMC is too dangerous to attempt in a single-engine piston aircraft; or that an occasional touch-and-go will lead to a gear up incident; or some other hooey that I disagree with, I skip those responses and look to see if the thread recovered its original topic. If not, or if that WAS the original topic, I just ignore that thread and move on. Usually. But sometimes I just have to post what I try to make a reasonable, thought-out reply. If that is ignored in favor of dogma, then I ignore the thread and move on.

Every now and then someone will make a too-abrupt reply to someone else's post/question. So what? Sometimes I have a bad day, too.

I'm not perfect, I don't expect my friends to be, either. I heard a good outlook on friends somewhere:  you have to allow your friends to have one serious flaw. So some of my friends are liberals, some won't touch a firearm of any kind, some are vegetarians. I just don't invite them over to watch FOX News, go hunting or grill steaks on the deck. Those are for my other friends!

Every now and then someone will push my buttons. Depending on the day I've had, I'll either fire back or ignore them. Life is better when I ignore them, as it keeps my blood pressure down.

No, we don't need no stinking moderators! We all just need a little self control. Like the ancient Chinese emperors taught their sons:  never answer a letter when you are angry; never make any promises after receiving good news. We're adults, and we do a pretty good job here of acting like that, most of the time. Visit AOPA Forums if you want to see childish behavior, and I'm thankful that we aren't like that!

Let's all go fly our Mooneys! [except me, the weather sucks right now!  :(

• Like 2

So I go out to the airport and drop $100/hour chasing electrical gremlins and someone wants to know if I'm ashamed of MooneySpace. :rolleyes:

Hell no, I'm very proud of MooneySpace!!! I love ya Mike; but I dislike both the title of this thread, and the biased choices of the poll. A newbee complains about several silly GG thread posts and this thread is the reaction. Nonsense. This is about as civil aviation community as can be found, and if some potential aviator finds it offensive....then there's either Tiddly Winks, or (with apologies) growing a pair. :P

I'm just glad it wasn't motivated by me pointing out several of the many foibles of our NJ dent, my artistic Hooters girl picture, my distain for unimproved fields, my respect for CamGuard, etc, etc, etc. ;)

I agree that: "we don't need no stinking moderators!" A bit of self control by putting your posts on hold before getting really nasty and vulgar would help. Did anyone really not see where the GG thread was going? If you can't stand the odor, get out of the bathroom. Mandatory use of real names and locations would, IMHO, encourage better manners.

I've met, shared drinks and had long discussions with Becca and Byron. Both are very nice and people; we focused on what we had in common, not where we know we differed. Scott, who I haven't met, is a good guy also, I think, and maybe the dent is too (but that may be going too far), and I don't know who the heck HLD is. Take a deep breath guys, and try to stick to aviation, because the rest of us don't give a flying rats ass what your political leanings or social causes are. There are other boards for that.

Trash can this offensive thread!

:ph34r:

• Like 3

Woo-hooo!! Common sense is breaking out. I'm fed up with the "social politics" abounding in this country, where the tail wags the dog by yelling the loudest. Seems we have a rational consensus here. Sorry, Mike--you just can't not offend everyone.

Fantom et al, I'm not talking about disagreeing. I love the openness of this forum where different opinions can be expressed even too much. But the name calling, personal attacks, and malice are at focus. It's not just on one thread either. It's becoming more and more frequent and I think it's time some members say enough is enough before this forum starts to look like others that we would not wish to frequent. I ask on behalf of myself and at least 24 others, take it outside guys. Disagree about Mooneys all you want but we don't want to have locked threads or to sift through the personal attacks.

• Like 1

In order to stay civil, I did not reply to this or any of the later posts on the GG thread until at the very end, when someone called me out for my behavior, when I made a short post to remind that person they were confusing me with Byron because our icons have the same tail number.  Apparently this second post or my lack of posting can be described as: Becca  JUST GOT NASTY.  In case you are wondering, here's how "nasty" I got in my second of two total posts on the thread:

That was me of course.  I was the someone who called out Becca.  I already PM apologized directly to Becca, but let me be sure to apologize for that here publicly since I am sorry for mucking that up - it was just as she said - I made an error confusing her icon and Byron's icon as their airplane icons look so similar.  No one confuses my icon eh? I am the only one here with a copilot bear.

Now just to state what was my position in mistakenly calling out Becca, but then correcting to call out Byron and Scott.  I was simply pleading them to stop what I was calling public hate mail.  That brawl was not going to lead to anything but more hate male.  Thank you both Scott and Byron for stopping.  Byron it is my opinion that you made an out of bounds attack back to attacks to you.  But you acknowledged that.  People loose their temper.  Thing is I have also seen what you are describing, which you called a "constant drumbeat" - I have seen that too - at least all summer.  Its bully behavior and it has no place in a grown up forum about airplanes or even in the middle school hallways.  To tell you folks the truth, I would have lost my temper too.  Scott, I don't know if you realize how steady your focus has been to Becca and Byron, but it has been pretty steady across many threads at least all summer.  I ask you to please stop trying to improve them to your image, or to point out to the group of aviators how they are not as you see fit.  Right or wrong, it is not doing anything useful in this setting and over time it is distracting for the rest of us.

I agree that beechtalk has something good going using natural names for posts and it helps lend toward more civil behavior. I do feel people are more likely to post as they would behave if meeting in person, and maybe some of these things would not become so escalated.  I do not know if it will help, but I am sure it will not hurt: can I make a proposition for this website that Mooneyspace be converted to REQUIRE our avatar names to be changed to our true names.

My name is Erik Bollt.  In other words my avatar is "aviatoreb" but on beech talk my posting name is "Erik Bollt".  So it should be here.  Let's do it.  I don't mean one by one since there would be hold outs.  I mean at the administrator level, require people to convert. Anyone who is unwilling will no longer be able to participate. I predict 99% of the people will convert.

Fantom et al, I'm not talking about disagreeing. I love the openness of this forum where different opinions can be expressed even too much. But the name calling, personal attacks, and malice are at focus. It's not just on one thread either. It's becoming more and more frequent and I think it's time some members say enough is enough before this forum starts to look like others that we would not wish to frequent. I ask on behalf of myself and at least 24 others, take it outside guys. Disagree about Mooneys all you want but we don't want to have locked threads or to sift through the personal attacks.

Exactly.  Personal attacks is essentially the summary of the problem, which is quite a different thing from disagreeing.  And personal attacks provoke personal attacks back.  Mooneys, or politics or whatever, personal attacks have no place.

I've tried to be quiet here. I am a member of Navitus (no, you will not find our website) which is made of a group of doctors, engineers, physicists, attorneys, and some really smart people who are passionate in their opinions. We meet about six times a year to debate social issues, someone!s scientific paper, new forms of art, and politics. These debates are more than animated and spirited, and one can see how deeply the various opinions are held. Our purpose is to investigate the various positions, and while we are free to attack ideas, no one attacks the members themselves. It is all self regulated, We believe in comity between individuals, although the beliefs, positions, and opinions are free to vigorous debate using our allotted time to speak. In over twenty years of our existence I have never seen anything like the venom expressed in this thread. The only reason I read, and occasionally post something is because I am always open to learning more about aviation in general, and Mooneys in particular. After flying for more than thirty years, and about twenty in Mooneys, I think I can sometimes answer a question, or make some contribution to the group. I am glad to see that there have been some retractions and apologies, as I was ready to abandon Mooeyspace.com. It's not that I am a prude. I just think this is an aviation forum, and the really raunchy and offensive humor can be handled by emails and PMs.

• Like 5

I've tried to be quiet here. I am a member of Navitus (no, you will not find our website) which is made of a group of doctors, engineers, physicists, attorneys, and some really smart people who are passionate in their opinions. We meet about six times a year to debate social issues, someone!s scientific paper, new forms of art, and politics. These debates are more than animated and spirited, and one can see how deeply the various opinions are held. Our purpose is to investigate the various positions, and while we are free to attack ideas, no one attacks the members themselves. It is all self regulated, We believe in comity between individuals, although the beliefs, positions, and opinions are free to vigorous debate using our allotted time to speak. In over twenty years of our existence I have never seen anything like the venom expressed in this thread. The only reason I read, and occasionally post something is because I am always open to learning more about aviation in general, and Mooneys in particular. After flying for more than thirty years, and about twenty in Mooneys, I think I can sometimes answer a question, or make some contribution to the group. I am glad to see that there have been some retractions and apologies, as I was ready to abandon Mooeyspace.com. It's not that I am a prude. I just think this is an aviation forum, and the really raunchy and offensive humor can be handled by emails and PMs.

Spoken like a statesman... Thank you.

I am not going to vote.  This is exactly what the "Internet Troll" wants.  To disrupt conversation.  Go find an online forum, about anything...say...kitchen utensils, and there will be trolls telling you that rolling pins are useless and you're a jackass for ever using one.  Ignore and move on.

Troll (Internet)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about internet slang. For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).
20px-Padlock-silver.svg.png
220px-DoNotFeedTroll.svg.png

magnify-clip.png
The advice to ignore rather than engage with a troll is sometimes phrased as "Please do not feed the trolls."

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl//ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), eitheraccidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]

While this sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling also used to describe intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[7][8]

I don't understand why this is an issue. The board has an ignore feature, even if it's a little hard to find. Unlike in real life, if someone bugs you, you can make them disappear.

If you don't like a person, ignore them .

If you don't like a thread, don't read it.

If a thread stops being fun, stop going back to it.

I expect this kind of hate-speech-censorship-can't-offend-anyone crap from the dullards who live in the middle of the curve, but surely we can have informed debate and the occasional raunchy thread without getting all butt hurt?

• Like 2