Got a new addition to the Family

Thank you everyone!

I hope to fly her soon with my friend ( he is the check airman for the company I fly for), so that I can fulfill my insurance requirements.

Can't wait, can't wait!

N201MKTurbo,

Then you know how bad it is finding a hanger around here :). Lucky bugger ;)

David

<rant>

There must be factors at work I do not understand. Because hangars are a b**ch to get EVERYWHERE. Take here, fer instance. When I ask it's "Oh, no... 2+ year waiting list". Then I ask "Well, ok, but just curious... what's the rent?" $200. Well, then build more? "Oh, no.. it'd be too expensive."

Ok. I'm not a rocket surgeon, but if you have enough demand to have a multi YEAR waiting list, you find it too expensive to finance the construction of new hangars AND you're only charging $200 each... well, here...take this basic economic text book. Have a look at the "supply / demand" section. You might find it interesting.

Yes, I realize I'm implying that hangar rent should increase. And yes, it'll price some guys out of hangars. So? I'm priced out of biz jets. Waaaa. Double the rent and see what happens to the size of the waiting list. If it's still over a year, triple it. At some point, vacancies will occur. :) Maximize profit while minimizing unused hangars.

(It's like price controls during hurricanes. Forcing prices to remain at pre-hurricane levels guarantees scarcity. But you can't convince anyone of that...)

</rant>

There must be factors at work I do not understand. Because hangars are a b**ch to get EVERYWHERE. Take here, fer instance. When I ask it's "Oh, no... 2+ year waiting list". Then I ask "Well, ok, but just curious... what's the rent?" $200. Well, then build more? "Oh, no.. it'd be too expensive."Ok. I'm not a rocket surgeon, but if you have enough demand to have a multi YEAR waiting list, you find it too expensive to finance the construction of new hangars AND you're only charging $200 each... well, here...take this basic economic text book. Have a look at the "supply / demand" section. You might find it interesting.Yes, I realize I'm implying that hangar rent should increase. And yes, it'll price some guys out of hangars. So? I'm priced out of biz jets. Waaaa. Double the rent and see what happens to the size of the waiting list. If it's still over a year, triple it. At some point, vacancies will occur. :) Maximize profit while minimizing unused hangars.(It's like price controls during hurricanes. Forcing prices to remain at pre-hurricane levels guarantees scarcity. But you can't convince anyone of that...)
Wow! You should own an airport. That logic is exactly what is killing GA. Why not go one step further? Price it so you drive small planes out and cater to the corporate aircraft. That's exactly what happened to me. The reason airports don't build more is funding. If you want hangars, put together a group willing to build them (you know the 2 year waiting list guys) and present the offer to the airport. And BTW -- don't come back here whining that the Mooney part you need is $1,200. It's just supply and demand at work.
  • Like 1

<rant>

There must be factors at work I do not understand. Because hangars are a b**ch to get EVERYWHERE. Take here, fer instance. When I ask it's "Oh, no... 2+ year waiting list". Then I ask "Well, ok, but just curious... what's the rent?" $200. Well, then build more? "Oh, no.. it'd be too expensive."

Ok. I'm not a rocket surgeon, but if you have enough demand to have a multi YEAR waiting list, you find it too expensive to finance the construction of new hangars AND you're only charging $200 each... well, here...take this basic economic text book. Have a look at the "supply / demand" section. You might find it interesting.

Yes, I realize I'm implying that hangar rent should increase. And yes, it'll price some guys out of hangars. So? I'm priced out of biz jets. Waaaa. Double the rent and see what happens to the size of the waiting list. If it's still over a year, triple it. At some point, vacancies will occur. :) Maximize profit while minimizing unused hangars.

(It's like price controls during hurricanes. Forcing prices to remain at pre-hurricane levels guarantees scarcity. But you can't convince anyone of that...)

</rant>

wow, it almost sounds like you're at my airport.  We have a 3 year list, and they actually dumped dirt out there for a 4th row of hangars.  The hangars hold 24 slots, and there are 35 people on the list.....

That logic is exactly what is killing GA.

No, there are lots of problem with generation aviation right now, and many reasons for the cost to be high. But this isn't one of them.

The airport manager I spoke with made it clear that the days of building hangars were over indefinitely due to cost.

Why is this a problem? I've wanted a plane for 23 years. I've been able to afford one for 10. I got on half a dozen waiting lists. No way I was going to spend that much money on something and not put it in a garage. It wasn't until I moved here, and found hangar space that I bought the plane. (The seeming contradiction is that I'm based at Huntsville where there's space due to the stupid TSA stuff you have to comply with to get it, and not at Meridianville where there's none and a long waiting list.)

Keeping prices low ensures scarcity. That's exactly what's happening here.  The $1200 mooney part cost is not due to greed. In many cases it's simply not profitable to produce the part at a lower cost, especially with the regulatory burden. Look around... I don't see anyone making $$$ in aviation right now, do you?

I'd rather pay $500 for a hangar I can get next week than wait 2 years for a hangar I only pay $200 for. I either won't buy a plane at all, or it'll sit outside for 2 years while I wait. Keeping rents low removes any incentive for action. I'll bet you $1 the city budget just sees the hangar revenue as "X units * $200 / month", looks at financing and construction costs and decides there's no reason to increase space. The massive waiting list is ignored or even unknown.

Sorry - end of my rant. I do applaud airports and their management that recognized reasonably priced hangars encourage flying rather than storing a bunch of hangar queens for rich guys.

If the hangars are full, the city shouldn't care. I doubt very much the city has your best interests in mind. In my experience small airports are the red headed step children of the owning city / county. The rents are probably low simply because they started out at that price, haven't been adjusted for inflation, and no one notices the tiny bit of $$$ coming in.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to rents around the country as government revenue at all levels continues to fall. "Oh.. hey... look at this. Why aren't we charging more for these?"

Here a guy is happy about getting his new plane and it breaks into hanger and parts fees.  Don't let the bloom come off your rose.  Have fun with your plane.  There will be some pain, but making it yours will be a blast.  Enjoy the ride!  My partner just flew (first time) with his wife and two young kids...Went to a zoo.  Pretty cool.  Your Mooney will open up a fun world to explore.

• Like 2

Here a guy is happy about getting his new plane and it breaks into hanger and parts fees.  Don't let the bloom come off your rose.  Have fun with your plane.  There will be some pain, but making it yours will be a blast.  Enjoy the ride!  My partner just flew (first time) with his wife and two young kids...Went to a zoo.  Pretty cool.  Your Mooney will open up a fun world to explore.

I was thinking that, too.  We're just giving him a taste of aircraft ownership.  lol

• Like 2

Thanks again,

Well I put 2.5 hours on "Second Chances" this morning. My friend had me do everything I do in the Pilatus PC-12. I kept looking for the autopilot. My left thumb is killing me ;) It was a 135.293 check ride!

I got myself so wound up with all the reading I have been doing for the last few months for nothing. Her landings were a non issue, even with a 15 to 17 knot cross wind. I actually crossed the numbers 5 to 10 kts fast and I didn't float into the fence on the other side of the field :) But now that I'm typing this, I do not think I did a full flap landing! DOH!

I cannot thank you all enough for all the great advice I have absorbed reading all the fun topics. I cannot wait to fly her again, but alas, President Obama will be keeping me from flying tomorrow :(

I REALLY REALLY LIKE MY MOONEY M20C! I want to go out to the field and look at her some more :) Where is that flashlight?

David. (A very happy Mooney owner)

• Like 3

Hangers. We have relatively inexpensive, very nice, T hangers at a field run by the 2 counties and 2 towns who own the airport. The Airport Authority can get low cost money to add more hangers whenever the need is there. We added 8 new units this years. The only issue has been a few folks using their hanger as a storage unit after they no longer have a plane.

Life is good @ KMRN. 

• Like 1

Fly often and fly fast - congratulations on obtaining such a beautiful classic bird!  :rolleyes:

PS. I am with Bob_Bellville - T-hangars-a-plenty here in Albemarle, NC (KVUJ) for $85/mo. or you can go deluxe for $200/mo. Most of the small airports around here will let you build your own hangar(s) with a 10-20-30 yr land lease that is very reasonable.  ;)

• Like 1