ADS-B on the G1000

I have had little luck getting any info on what us Acclaim/Ovation G1000 flyers were going to do to get ADS-B integrated with our G1000s. As you may know, we cannot buy the Garmin 800 traffic system or get AOPA airport directory data because these were introduced after the last Mooney G1000 software certification.

What I want is to use the WAAS GPSs I have (just did the WAA$ upgrade - ouch) along with in-panel ADS-B hardware to meet the 2020 mandate but also to get the full benefits of ADS-B in traffic (and weather of course).

I called Trey Hughes to see if he had the scoop but they were going through a move to their new office so he may not have even gotten my message.

I ended up visiting Mooney and sitting with Bill Eldred back in May when he informed me that they were in process of developing a certification plan for ADS-B in the G1000. I am excited about that but apprehensive as we all know Mooney is operating with minimal staffing, funding and there are always rumors flying around about the future of the company.

Anyway, that is what I know and would love to hear any updates.

• 6 months later...

Doug,

If you don't mind, what was the cost for your WAAS upgrade?  Did you Acclaim already have GFC700 or did you have to do something about that?  With the factory back in operation, hopefully they will figure out a way to get ADS-B on G1000.  My situation is, I am closing to getting a 2005 Ovation 2 GX with G1000 but with S-Tec 55x A/P.  I am concerned if there is an upgrade path for these Ovation to meet the mandate for 2020.

I am trying to get some information from Premier on this and will share what I find out.

Vishnu Raman

The WAAS kit is expensive:

April 2013 prices: (I bought the non-VNAV upgrade)

940171-503 WAAS kit 28,750.28
940171-505 WAAS with VNAV 35,376.48

You have to buy it through Mooney. It took Arapahoe Aero about 8 hours (call it $1,000) and a couple connectors to install it. The GIAs are just slide in LRUs so most of the time was antenna replacement. I believe the new antennas are combo XM weather/GPS antennas.

The kit includes two GIA 63W (GPS navcoms), and the two antennas. The software is just a reload of the same software I am almost certain. They just have to reconfigure it. The G1000 powers up and looks the same, same version on my Acclaim 0401.30.

Upgrading the autopilot is expensive - my guess is over $30,000 now. If the G1000 with GFC-700 is really important to you, I would seriously look hard at a 2007 O3 already including the GFC700 and WAAS. 

good luck

WOW!! that WAAS upgrade is expensive. I got WAAS on my M20J with a GNS 530AW and traffic (ATD-300) for $8K. I think this G1000 prices are outrageous for the actual hardware added. But having no other options they can get away with it. The G1000 is a nice product but with no interchangeability or interfacing with other brands it subject the owner to be stuck with one supplier that can over charge. Not to mention the serviceability issues that may ground the plane for weeks vs steam gauges.

José 

yeah, Garmin does not upgrade the GIA63 (gps navcom) units you have; they replace them leaving the old units for marine use. They have always been willing to upgrade the 430/530. I got my 430's upgraded to WAAS for $1,500 each many years ago. Those days are gone.

Re the G1000, I really like that I have gotten rid of the gyro driven attitude indicator for the solid state ADHRS. I've had my KI-256 fail slowly and drift off taking my autopilot along with it for a ride, a couple times in fact; and I cannot even recall how many times I have had my KI-256s pulled out and rebuilt over 20 years of flying. Glad those days are gone too.

cheers

I would love to hear what you find out about the upgrade cost. I have been told by numerous folks that autopilot upgrade is mandatory, then the WAAS upgrade with the VNAV capability (otherwise why do it) and the cost is around 70k. There will also be costs with updating the G1000 software to get Safetaxi and the airway capability in flight planning.

Doug,

I got to speak with Fred Ahles at Premier and he mentioned that he had spoken with Mooney Engineers recently and they are working on G1000 software upgrade with Garmin which will allow the G1000 Mooney to be able to interface with GDL88 and meet the ADS-B mandate for 2020.  This software will be retrofitted into 2005+ Mooneys. This however does not provide WAAS and that would be a seperate upgrade.

You mentioned in your post on 2/9 that there was a O3 with GFC700 and WAAS, I don't see it on Controller.  Let me know what you are referring to.

Thanks,

Vishnu Raman

That's good to hear that Mooney is still working on the ADS-B software upgrade. I should be ready once they certify it.

As far as the O3 with WAAS and GFC-700, sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that I would look for an Ovation that already has the WAAS and GFC-700 rather than buy one and upgrade it. I assumed it would have to be a 2007 or later to have the autopilot, but maybe some owners have upgraded their '05 or '06 Ovations to the GFC-700 as well. But once the GFC-700 became available, all of the Ovations would have gotten it, so I would look for one of those. The cost of upgrading with new equipment just does not make sense to me. The WAAS upgrade on my Acclaim barely made sense to me! ;-)

good luck

• 1 year later...

A year has passed since there was any comment on this topic. Has there been any progress with software Version 14 for the Mooney G1000?

I am in Australia and there are others like myself who need to get their G1000's updated as here in Western Australia, we will be unable to operate IFR after 7th February 2016 (11 months time) when the mandate is implemented.

I have a 2007 M20R which is TSO129a as it is fitted with GIA63 (non WAAS) units so will have to go to considerable expense to upgrade to the GIA63W units (to achieve TSO146a) but don't want to spend the money unless I can be certain that the upgraded software will be available.

I understand that the ADS-B in the USA uses a different protocol from what we have here as we need to replace the GTX33 transponder with the GTX33E (extended squitter) version so as to be compatible with our system.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy a new Mooney with all of the above fitted & working or will new airplanes be affected similarly.  I have so far been unable to ascertain this from Mooney International.........(not good marketing in my view.)

Regards,

Dave

There is a contact here from the Mooney factory... Stacy Ellis aka Sellis...

On another thread there was a recent update for the G1000 systems.

It may have been more for the WAAS updates...

Try this one...

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/14252-update-for-mooney-waas-ads-b-upgrades-for-stec-equipped-planes/?hl=%2Bg1000+%2Bwaas

Welcome aboard,

-a-