GIA-63 (2) non-WAAS GPS/nav/coms for G1000

--- From 2013 ---

I just did the WAAS upgrade on my 2007 Acclaim so I have the original GIA63s. I am not sure what they are worth yet. If Garmin has a flat rate repair cost for the GIA63, that would be a starting point.

Make me an offer on one or both.

Part 011-00781-01

S/Ns 48105453 and 48104918

----- Updated for sale ad ------

SOLD

Doug (showmethemooney)

Edited by Showmethemooney
Sold

The WAAS kit is expensive, even more so than a year ago:

I contacted Mooney last year but did not do the upgrade until this year. I was surprised that they raised their prices substantially in that short time. They quoted me this in June 2012

940171-503 WAAS Kit 23,943.28
940171-505 WAAS with VNAV 33,496.48

and this in April 2013

940171-503 WAAS kit 28,750.28
940171-505 WAAS with VNAV 35,376.48

I complained to Mooney about the price increase. I am not sure who jacked up the prices, Garmin or Mooney. But yes to your question about going through Mooney. They have the STC so you have to buy it from them. Actually, I had to buy it from my shop - Arapahoe Aero. They sent the money to Mooney who sent it to Garmin. It took about a month to get the kit. It took Arapahoe Aero about 8 hours and a couple connectors to install it. The GIAs are just slide in LRUs so most of the time was antenna replacement. I believe the new antennas are combo XM weather/GPS antennas.

The kit includes two GIA 63W (GPS navcoms), and the two antennas. The software is just a reload of the same software I am almost certain. They just have to reconfigure it. The G1000 powers up and looks the same, same version on my Acclaim 0401.30.

The WAAS kit is expensive, even more so than a year ago:

I contacted Mooney last year but did not do the upgrade until this year. I was surprised that they raised their prices substantially in that short time. They quoted me this in June 2012

940171-503 WAAS Kit 23,943.28
940171-505 WAAS with VNAV 33,496.48

and this in April 2013

940171-503 WAAS kit 28,750.28
940171-505 WAAS with VNAV 35,376.48

I complained to Mooney about the price increase. I am not sure who jacked up the prices, Garmin or Mooney. But yes to your question about going through Mooney. They have the STC so you have to buy it from them. Actually, I had to buy it from my shop - Arapahoe Aero. They sent the money to Mooney who sent it to Garmin. It took about a month to get the kit. It took Arapahoe Aero about 8 hours and a couple connectors to install it. The GIAs are just slide in LRUs so most of the time was antenna replacement. I believe the new antennas are combo XM weather/GPS antennas.

The kit includes two GIA 63W (GPS navcoms), and the two antennas. The software is just a reload of the same software I am almost certain. They just have to reconfigure it. The G1000 powers up and looks the same, same version on my Acclaim 0401.30.

Sorry for taking so long to respond. After I read the prices, I passed out! That is unbelievable not only the price increase but the initial price itself. Looks like you will need to change your forum name to "Showthemthemoney"...

Wow I'd heard the upgrade was expensive but you really have no choice if you want Wass. Hopefully it adds substantial resale value to the AC. Imagine calculating the cost per Wass approach over the next couple of years.

When I first read this, I could not understand why you needed a new navcom to get WAAS. So I googled the GIA63 and found that it's the nav/com/GS/GPS receiver. Basically it seems the function of a GTN650 without the display. In that context, the price is not quite as un-expected. It's a lot of new expensive hardware. The unfortunate part is you had to buy a new nav/com/GS radio just to get the GPS upgrade. Too bad you can't get just a new GPS board for your existing GIA63 boxes.

quote:

GIA Integrated Avionics Unit

The GIA unit is a combined communications and navigation radio, and also serves as the primary data aggregator for the G1000 system. It provides a two-way VHF communications transceiver, a VHF navigation receiver with glideslope, a GPS receiver, and a variety of supporting processors. Each unit is paired with a GDU display, which acts as a controlling unit. The GIA 63W, found on many newer G1000 installations, is an updated version of the older GIA 63 which includes Wide Area Augmentation System support.

That's right Larry. It is too bad that I am now the owner of two very expensive boxes that I have no use for. Had Garmin or Mooney been willing to take the old GIA cores and credit me, it would have cost me less and my non-WAAS GIAs might have been used as loaners or parted out or resold as used. My guess is they have a pile of them already and just don't want to bother with it. So I hope someday that someone whose GIA63 fails them can use one of mine. I can probably save them some mooney. <sorry>

That's right Larry. It is too bad that I am now the owner of two very expensive boxes that I have no use for. Had Garmin or Mooney been willing to take the old GIA cores and credit me, it would have cost me less and my non-WAAS GIAs might have been used as loaners or parted out or resold as used. My guess is they have a pile of them already and just don't want to bother with it. So I hope someday that someone whose GIA63 fails them can use one of mine. I can probably save them some mooney. <sorry>

Suggestion: Start calling avionics shops to see if there is an interest. I sold a lot of my old removed equipment this way. The stuff you have is specialized, but worth a shot. I would also include Mooney Service Centers in those calls.

Last year I paid $7K+ for a G530AW and I am really happy with it. Coupled LPV approaches are right on to the point that I disconnect the AP at 100ft AGL. But $35K to get WAAS on a plane that you already paid $500K is absurd. Like my wife said to a Mooney salesman at Sun 'n Fun showing the Acclaim: "$500K and no toilet? For $500K you can get a nice house with four toilets". "José you can live without a Mooney but not without a toilet, do not under estimate the value of the toilet" I could not argue with that. Women! I just upgraded my toilet seat for $25.00. Oh well

José 

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, Gaby Levin said:

Hi,

Any idea how much costs replacement of he KAP 140 Roll motor drive ?

they tend to have short live time due to it's motor roll bearings.

Thanks,

Gaby

Welcome aboard Gaby!

You have appended your question to an ancient and near dead thread about a near dead product….

But, other than that…

You have stumbled into the right area sort of…

There are options to consider…

Getting the servo OH’d is possible…

Let’s see if our autopilot gurus are around here… let me invite @Bob Weber over here…

First thing you may want to do…  get a pic and a part number of the servo you want replaced/updated…

There have been a few come to market as people are upgrading to the new Garmin AP…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 10:31 PM, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Gaby!

You have appended your question to an ancient and near dead thread about a near dead product….

But, other than that…

You have stumbled into the right area sort of…

There are options to consider…

Getting the servo OH’d is possible…

Let’s see if our autopilot gurus are around here… let me invite @Bob Weber over here…

First thing you may want to do…  get a pic and a part number of the servo you want replaced/updated…

There have been a few come to market as people are upgrading to the new Garmin AP…

Best regards,

-a-

I have a few KAP systems... Part # will help

• Like 1