When do you retract flaps on landing (poll)

201er

Flap Retraction  

90 members have voted

1. 1. When do you retract flaps on landing?

• In ground effect prior to touch-down
    • Once the mains plant
    • After the nosewheel comes down
    • On roll out
    • Once off the runway
    • Back at parking, after shutdown, or not at all
    • Don't use flaps on landing

Facinating - I'd have to say it depends.

If it's a short runway - as soon as the mains are planted.

If it's a longer runway, during rollout.

Sometimes I guess it's before the nose is down, other times it's after.

I learned to fly Mooney's on a pretty short strip, so every landing is a short field landing and thus learned to fly the right speeds and retract flaps once the mains are planted.  I tend to fly tight patters because of the original mooney training and also to use less runway. 

I have learned however to let the airplane roll out at my now home airport as I don't really have to use the brakes by the time the turnoff to the taxiway to the main ramp (and hanger area) is achieved when landing in a certain direction.  Less braking needed = longer life on the brakes - I get my short field practice in often however with my former home drone which I still visit often.

Take care,

-Seth

-Seth

I keep my airplane in my own hangar....the flaps are electric, so my answer won't match others.  

I usually land with the flaps at the takeoff/approach setting, so after I land, I leave them there in preparation for my next takeoff.  I don't do operations that require flaps to be retracted upon landing.  I rarely need full land flaps.

When I'm on the road, if strong winds are forecast, I will raise them, but otherwise, even tied down, I leave them at the takeoff position.

A side benefit of keeping them down is that passengers are less apt to step on them getting in/out of the plane.

Basically, the only time the flaps are up is in cruise.

• Like 1

I keep my airplane in my own hangar....the flaps are electric, so my answer won't match others.  

I usually land with the flaps at the takeoff/approach setting, so after I land, I leave them there in preparation for my next takeoff.  I don't do operations that require flaps to be retracted upon landing.  I rarely need full land flaps.

When I'm on the road, if strong winds are forecast, I will raise them, but otherwise, even tied down, I leave them at the takeoff position.

A side benefit of keeping them down is that passengers are less apt to step on them getting in/out of the plane.

Basically, the only time the flaps are up is in cruise.

Actually, interesting concept. I normally retract them as soon as I leave the runway and just before calling ground, with other things like transponder, lean de misture etc.. I just don't like to be distracted. But the idea of keeping them down until my next flight sounds appealing, in particular because that keeps people from stepping on them.

I can hit the Flaps Up toggle while holding the throttle at Idle; to reach the gear switch I have to let go and reach up. It's a much shorter reach from Full Throttle. So I hit the toggle Up to transfer weight to the wheels & dump lift before braking.

I'm in the "wait until you get off the runway and stop unless there's a reason for an early retraction, like a real short field landing" group. 

I don't know the numbers on how many accidental gear retractions there are when intending to retract flaps on the roll, but based on the number of flight schools that are prohibiting touch & goes in retracts and teaching waiting and other anecdotal data, it appears to be significant. And even if its small, it seems to me to be the most unnecessary and most easily preventable form of all types of gear up incidents, with a zero downside. 

Usually when turning off the runway, at touchdown for short fields where stopping is absolutely necessary, and sometimes after I get out of the plane after flying, and realize sheepishly that i forgot to put them up. :rolleyes:

Since we are talking about flap retraction, I have a question. For those of you who have flown into my airport (N57), you have seen firsthand the bumpy condition of the runway on roll out. What impact positive and negative would you expect if I retract the flaps on roll-out? The runway is long enough that I don't need to have maximum braking.

Is it advisable to leave the flaps down and keep the plane light over what bumps I hit or to retract and slow down the plane to go over them slower?

Is it advisable to leave the flaps down and keep the plane light over what bumps I hit or to retract and slow down the plane to go over them slower?

I don't think it would make that much difference. The worst part of your bumps is during the transition speed. At high speed you fly over them. At slow speed you dip in and out of them. At medium speed, it's awful. No matter your flaps, there will be some point when you need to go through that midspeed and feel every bump! I still prefer retracted flaps because it provides better traction by putting weight on the wheels sooner.

I don't think it would make that much difference. The worst part of your bumps is during the transition speed. At high speed you fly over them. At slow speed you dip in and out of them. At medium speed, it's awful. No matter your flaps, there will be some point when you need to go through that midspeed and feel every bump! I still prefer retracted flaps because it provides better traction by putting weight on the wheels sooner.

I have noticed the same thing. I wish they had placed the mid field taxiway a little further down for runway 24 (the prevailing wind runway). Even the Pipers and Cessnas have a hard time making that taxiway. And since it is just before the big bumps, it forces you to ride over them or turn around on them.

I was taught that the pro's clean up the airplane once off the runway.

I cycle the flaps down on preflight to listen to the motor and mechanism, for straining, binding, jumping etc. and I leave them down for passenger loading to keep them from getting stepped on.

If you need to land short field why not just leave the flaps down until stopped but just drag it in slow where nose is about 6 degrees up and control where and when the wheels touch by the throttle. ........aka "draggen it in by the prop". ?

The prop will keep just enough air under the root of the wing that when power is reduced it won't fly anymore.

I doubt retracting the flaps gives any measurable gains.