Encore

I bought my J from the same guy who is now selling N17ME. He asked me if I wanted it but I just can't justify the need for the turbo. I can tell you that he fixed up my J with state-of-the-art (at the time) avionics and all the work was top quality. I've seen the panel he put into 17ME and it looks sweet. There's no way he's getting his money back at the price he's listing it for. Whoever gets that plane will have me as a jealous bystander.

I was on an Encore hunt last July and at that time N17ME and N308MA were on the market. I went to see N17ME and I liked it but it lacked a couple things I really wanted - a flight director (it has the KAP-150 autopilot rather than the KFC-150), and FIKI (flight into known icing certification.)

I see that it got a top overhaul recently. I prefer to acquire an aircraft that has been flying regularly if at all possible. The owner who I met with seemed like a straight shooter but I suspect N17ME has not been flying enough, although that fresh top overhaul alleviates some of my concerns; nonetheless, I have difficulty valuing a low time engine when it is high calendar time - 15 years without the case being split is a long time and something to at least think about. Same is true for accessories, hoses, etc. I would check who is doing the annual inspections. If they are on top of it, maybe it is not a concern. Note that it has a couple GNS 480s in it, which is the original WAAS GPS (actually GNS 480 Garmin's renaming of the acquired Apollo GX-80). I've owned a couple aircraft with those in it; it's a good navcom but some people don't like it. I think maybe it is because they learned Garmin's 430/530 first which has a very different user interface. Still it probably does deduct a bit from the value of the aircraft, just because it is not the 'gold standard' of GPSs. (my opinion)

I cut N308MA from my list because of no FIKI although it does have a flight director, XM weather and mode S traffic. It looks like a solid aircraft with a GNS 530 WAAS and only one owner with Premier maintaining it... Maybe it's the red interior! I don't like red leather or carpet. Maybe other pilots don't either and that is why it is still on the market. I did not look at it.

Watch out for aircraft that do not have the KAS-297B altitude preselect, vertical speed setting. It was an option that most aircraft got but not all of them. It would be disappointing for me to buy an aircraft and find out it did not have that.

I cannot remember now if dual alternators was standard or an option on Encores. The one in Chandler N43PG has that option but the GNS430 does not say it is WAAS. It does have a flight director. The engine is not far from run out 1,675 hrs (even if you look past the 15 years.) But it might be a good airplane to buy if you can buy it right and overhaul it in the next couple years, then redo the panel. 

I really like Encores and I hope the couple hundred of them Mooney built don't get neglected.

By the way, I happened across a damaged Acclaim that was priced right so I stretched a little (ok a lot) and bought that about a year ago. It's been a good airplane so far. 

Good luck

I flew a 1998 Encore, SN 25-2029, for 7 years on the west coast and absolutely loved it. It was very well equipped with FIKI, flight director, Garmin 530/430, etc. I was based in Napa and it was a perfect west coast airplane because I could go nonstop to Seattle, San Diego, Vegas and even Denver with the right tailwinds in the flight levels. The FIKI was essential during the wet CA winters and the turbo rocked for getting above Pacific storms at FL200 or higher. For its amazing capabilities it was also a very reasonable airplane to insure and maintain.

After moving to Denver, which is in the middle of nowhere, I suddenly found myself unable to reach my most common destinations nonstop: Orange County, CA and the Bay Area. My wife and I started (gasp) flying commercially to these locations to visit our respective families. Then it occurred to me that an Acclaim with its 102 gallon tanks and greater speed would solve my problem.  :D

Nevertheless, I was sad to see the Encore go. I put 850 very enjoyable hours on that fantastic airplane and recommend them highly.

• Like 1

I saw the one in Fort Lauderdale that Premier is selling. I was underwhelmed with the exterior condition. The paint seemed like it was dulling from being tied down outside perhaps? I remember thinking to myself that it looked better in the pictures then it did in person. I can't attest to its mechanical condition. I suspect all three have crappy useful loads

Thanks for all of the great responses, everyone.  I have my private and am currently working on my instrument.  My mission will be Houston to Taos, NM and Houston to Flagler County, FL.  Turbo would be nice for the hot summer months, so I think it will have to be an Encore.  

The prices on these seem a little high for aircraft that seem to have not been flown at all recently--I almost think you have to write off the engine if it's been grounded for a year or more (not to mention being ~15 years old.  Not sure what kind of discount you can ask for--I'd be happy to hear any of your thoughts on that.

I also found this guy on the MAPA website: http://www.mooneypilots.com/sales/Watt.html, but it seems priced a little high.

I can't speak to how much each of these aircraft have been flying, but it's sad to see the overall fleet flying so little.

You have selected an excellent aircraft for the routes you want to fly. I just sold my 252 that was converted to an Encore. If you look up N252BH you'll find a lot of TX to FL flying. Unfortunately right now I am sitting in Orlando, FL waiting on an American Airlines flight to DFW.

Get the Encore and take it high & fast!

• 4 weeks later...
For a low time pilot like me, Insurance is sky high for Mooney 252 and Bravos but maybe I need a better insurance referral than Falcon Insurance.
It's more likely that you require more time in type. The 252 can be a handful for low time pilots like you.

N308MA also has long range tanks. TKS is nice to have but when full it takes about 100 pounds of payload. The red interior is a little bit shocking but you may be able to negotiate the price on this. Avionics wise is well equipped. A good wax job will bring the shine to it.

José.