Mooney At Oshkosh

sellis

Great seeing the factory represented and we appreciated the factory updates. Good seeing our brand is standing strong and looking brighter than ever. The forum was very informative and it was great being able to meet some of the forum members and put a face to a avatar handle. To all still going or those heading home we wish safe travel. The wallet is empty, credit cards loaded and a new pair of Nikes worn out...LOL.. This was our first time and a great one. See ya next year or in April :) 

Wanted to share pictures of the Booth. Pictures of the shirt both front and back, Jack Wiegand talking about his solo trip, and the Ovation 2 GX he flew.  I didn't get a great picture of it but there was a wood wing M20A at the show on display as well.

Aviatoreb, the Mooney CFO was very clear at the forum and said nothing is set into stone so please don't think that this is absolutely going to happen, but he said that he did see possibilities for opening the service center again and even doing renovations on aircraft currently flying but never did I hear that Mooney would buy any airplanes.  Frankly, they don't have the money to buy anything.  He also did express there was always possibilities to go out and create a new aircraft and was even asking peoples opinions on things to bring in a new model which he said he heard more about increase max gross weight (I dont agree, M20R set at 60 gallons can take anything I want with 2 people... but thats a different story).  He also brought up possibilities of Mooney being bought and I hear that every time from FBO people in KERV that people keep visiting from China.

My favorite part was when the CFO said thank you to every single Mooney group out there.  He expressed that he was sad that he Mooney Aircraft Company couldn't release a product but that all the groups out there really do a great job keeping everyone informed and that really said a lot to me.  

Really wanted to give a standing ovation to that!

post-10757-0-94255000-1375499762_thumb.j

post-10757-0-89223900-1375499775_thumb.j

post-10757-0-48918400-1375499807_thumb.j

Aviatoreb, the Mooney CFO was very clear at the forum and said nothing is set into stone so please don't think that this is absolutely going to happen, but he said that he did see possibilities for opening the service center again and even doing renovations on aircraft currently flying but never did I hear that Mooney would buy any airplanes.  Frankly, they don't have the money to buy anything.  He also did express there was always possibilities to go out and create a new aircraft and was even asking peoples opinions on things to bring in a new model which he said he heard more about increase max gross weight (I dont agree, M20R set at 60 gallons can take anything I want with 2 people... but thats a different story).  He also brought up possibilities of Mooney being bought and I hear that every time from FBO people in KERV that people keep visiting from China.

I dont understand the whole "We don't have any money to buy anything" line. Mooney was owned by some rich investors, who formed a new shell company then foreclosed on themselves, blowing out all the creditors in the process. 

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2010/October/18/Mooney-sheds-debt-to-appeal-to-investors

Erik, the diesel question was brought up and the answer was that they were not looking into this at this point.

Yves

Huh - I really do think that would be a really good winning line for them if they go that diesel route.

An extra service center would be nice - I guess if the factory becomes simply a service center, but with factory rights to build parts, then they would be comparable to Lasar and that would be good to have another place like that to keep our fleet flying.  Of course we all wish for at least sentimental reasons that they were still building new aircraft.

Eastbound @ 8000? Glad to see the 450 is useful.

I thought that was interesting too.  I had to file for 8 since that was my initial altitude and direction (SW from OSH to DELLS).  They never moved me to 9 as I expected.

VERY useful !!

BILL

Mooney there was nice to see. I stopped by and told them so. Shirts were popular. According to the rep they were long gone (300) in three days. Let them know a lot of folks would be interested in buying if they re-ordered. 300 Mooney drivers at Oshkosh with the proof of registration to get shirt....pretty good turn-out. She called us "passionate owners" :)

Yeah, I would say that is true.

Byron, tried without success to locate you and have you call me a stooge to my face...not successful. Honestly didn't put much effort into it as I was having a blast with my son. You accused me of hiding behind my web anonymity...Personally attacked me on the site...just wanted to give you the opportunity to acknowledge or do whatever you would do face to face...sorry I could not give you the opportunity. Another time perhaps...

your Stooge Neanderthal, Scott

Mooney there was nice to see. I stopped by and told them so. Shirts were popular. According to the rep they were long gone (300) in three days. Let them know a lot of folks would be interested in buying if they re-ordered. 300 Mooney drivers at Oshkosh with the proof of registration to get shirt....pretty good turn-out. She called us "passionate owners" :) Yeah, I would say that is true. Byron, tried without success to locate you and have you call me a stooge to my face...not successful. Honestly didn't put much effort into it as I was having a blast with my son. You accused me of hiding behind my web anonymity...Personally attacked me on the site...just wanted to give you the opportunity to acknowledge or do whatever you would do face to face...sorry I could not give you the opportunity. Another time perhaps... your Stooge Neanderthal, Scott
So post-9886-13756273868037_thumb.jpg post-9886-13756273956361_thumb.jpg When are we going to get a PIREP of your trip out east?

We had a wonderful time on the air-to-air shoot with Jim Koepnick.  The photo plane was Patty Wagstaff's Bonanza.  Jim is an award winning photographer and has four magazine covers this month. What an opportunity this was for us.  Here is one of my favorite shots.

Copyright 2013 koepnickphotography.com

post-6913-0-98013200-1375677894_thumb.jp

Jolie and Mitch posted many more of those AWESOME pics on Facebook!  What a great opportunity to get some photos like that from a real pro.

I made a last-minute trip to OSH with another Wichita Mooney owner and his wife.  We left early Friday morning and returned late Saturday night, so it was short, but fully-packed with aviation goodness!  We visited the Mooney booth for a while and had a nice chat with the current COO (I think that was his title, with duties to include truck driver and custodian!).  Seeing M20 s/n 4 was a treat, as well as Jack W's world-rounder M20R, complete with a relief bottle still stowed behind the pilot seat!  We got to catch up with Jolie and Mitch on Friday evening and it was great to see them again.

The weather was PERFECT for the two days we were there.  We got a great parking spot in GAC row #2, behind the warbirds.  The shower/bathroom facilities seem better than in 2010, but the food quality was worse IMO, even though there were more concession areas it seems.  I spent most of my time in the forums and the vendor exhibit buildings, so I missed much of the two airshows.  I had a nice visit with a friend and former coworker that has created an incredible new wing and control system in conjunction with the inventor's son...

http://lamaviation.com/2013/06/25/lam-aileron-demonstrates-improvements-in-aircraft-performance-aviation-breakthrough-to-be-showcased-at-eaa-airventure-2013/

This breakthrough as demonstrated with a Columbia shows lower stall speed, faster cruise speed (or 4 GPH fuel savings at equivalent cruise speeds) and 100+ lb structural weight reduction.  I also learned the tail is now too big and it could be reduced in size as well yield further weight and drag reductions.  Doing something like this on a Mooney airframe would certainly improve the M20 product line that seems to have reached the end of major evolutionary changes for now.  

Marauder... I do owe a PIREP on my east coast run and will try to do this week at some point before I leave for CO on Thursday or Friday.

• Like 2

I had a nice visit with a friend and former coworker that has created an incredible new wing and control system in conjunction with the inventor's son...

http://lamaviation.com/2013/06/25/lam-aileron-demonstrates-improvements-in-aircraft-performance-aviation-breakthrough-to-be-showcased-at-eaa-airventure-2013/

This breakthrough as demonstrated with a Columbia shows lower stall speed, faster cruise speed (or 4 GPH fuel savings at equivalent cruise speeds) and 100+ lb structural weight reduction.  I also learned the tail is now too big and it could be reduced in size as well yield further weight and drag reductions.  Doing something like this on a Mooney airframe would certainly improve the M20 product line that seems to have reached the end of major evolutionary changes for now.

Simple and impressive! Forget the M20 line, this is the basis of a whole new airplane since you need to change the wing, horizontal stabilizer and vertical stabilizer for maximum effect. This is worthy of a clean sheet of paper. Maybe an M30? Put these wings on a Lancair 360 and I'm sold!!

We had a wonderful time on the air-to-air shoot with Jim Koepnick.  The photo plane was Patty Wagstaff's Bonanza.  Jim is an award winning photographer and has four magazine covers this month. What an opportunity this was for us.  Here is one of my favorite shots.

Copyright 2013 koepnickphotography.com

Stunning photo.  Which of you two is in the Ovation?

Here is a nice and detailed post from one of the 'other' ;) Mooney lists:

"Wednesday, July 31, saw an expanded Mooney Owners' Forum at EAA's Airventure. Organized and hosted by Dave Marten, Operations Director and board member of the Mooney Caravan, this informative question and answer session once again afforded Mooney pilots an opportunity to discuss all things Mooney.

Representing Mooney Aircraft was CFO Barry Hodkin, who thanked Mooney owners and pilots for their strong support of the brand during these years without production. Mr. Hodkin afforded some needed insight into the realities facing any manufacturer re-entering the market, as well as some thoughts Mooney pilots had shared with him during AirVenture about products they's like to see Mooney produce. Mr. Hodkin also discussed Mooney's 96% delivery rate on parts support, something echoed by others as well.

Two medical experts in flying and maintaining Mooney pilots also spoke: Drs. Bob Achtel and Chuck Crinnian (AME) opined on issues about keeping one's medical and maintaining fitness to fly.

In addition to MAJ Marten, an Air Force test pilot at Edwards Air Force Base, other experienced Mooney pilots shared their insights about Mooney-specific flying. Experienced Mooney CFIs Don Kaye and Jerry Johnson discussed type-specific handling traits. Two global circumnavigators, three-time earth-rounder and world record holder CarolAnn Garrett and 20-year old youngest solo circumnavigator Jack Wiegand, each shared their perspectives on solo flight around the world in Mooney aircraft. And Chris Shopperly, President of the Mooney Caravan, excited the pilots in the crowd by previewing a short film of the 2013 Caravan arrival that was shot, arranged, and edited by his eleven-year old son, Mason, who received a rousing Mooney welcome.

Whether it was due to the exciting footage in the short film is unknown, but Ms. Garrett announced she intended to participate in the 2014 Caravan to Oshkosh. Besides Marten, pilots Crinnian, Shopperly and Kaye also participated in this year's Caravan. The Caravan will be holding clinics and practice sessions around the country for Mooney pilots to fly their aircraft over the next twelve months until AirVenture 2014.

Vintage Mooney Group discussed their opportunities promoting Mooney fellowship and creation of new chapters, Mooney Ambassador shirts and thumb drives were offered for sale, and ArtCraft Paint, a Santa Maria, California-based facility, described their expertise in having completed over 50 Mooney paint jobs.

The Mooney Caravan to Oshkosh Education and Safety Foundation is a nonprofit Wisconsin corporation dedicated to active and safe flying of Mooney aircraft, and to organizing and promoting Mooney-related educational and social opportunities. Please watch our website mooneycaravan.com for upcoming events near you, and contact us at mooneycaravan@gmail.com. Share your Mooney pictures and see what other Mooney pilots are doing on mooneycaravan.shutterfly.com.

Larry Brennan"

...and here is a post of mine from 5 years ago that I still believe strongly in:

Posted by fantom on 23 October 2008 - 08:38 AM in General Mooney Talk

Hi All. I sure hope this site takes off. As a long time Mooney list and MAPA list participant, it would be great to have an updated and consolidated place for Moony discussions, without all the wasted time those two take. Hopefully all three can merge.

It's interesting to read the arguments of "senior" aviators on those two lists describe their relative merits. And they wonder why there have been few airframe or engine improvements in decades. ;-)

Anyway, good to be here

• Like 1

Was there any word from the factory reps on the rumors we hear of their buying up, stripping and overhauling as factory new M20Js?  and maybe M20Ks?  And rumors of re-engining STCs to diesel?

A similar question was posed to the Mooney Rep at the Mooney Owner Forum on Wednesday afternoon about refurbishing older Mooneys.  He did acknowledge that was something they were looking at not really some much as a business line but as a means to restart their customer service operations.  He was pretty noncommittal on any details.