Bendix D3000 R&R

wiseng

I had to get my Dual Bendix mag sent in for an internal short that resulted in the right mag being hot.  I.E. No drop in RPM during the mag check.  I was charged 8.5 hours for the R&R.  Anyone have any experience from their favorite mechanics on time to do the job.  Quality aircraft accessories did the 500 hr inspection and repaired for $950. 

when you mean RR that 8hr estimate is if shop overhauls the dual magneto right??If it is for removal ,replacement and retiming....than I would suggust you find a shop that has done one before and can loosen required bolts,remove distributer cap and ship out to mag repair facilty without falling asleep in the middle of it for a 6 hour nap

wiseng,

I had a problem very similar to yours . . . it was caused by an intermittent *open* P-lead within the mag . . . NOT a short!

Back when my Mooney had a D3000, the mag left me in a lurch a couple of times. Seems before I bought the place an overzealous mechanic pulled too hard on the mag cover with ignition leads when servicing the points - - it's awkward getting that cover out of the way and in so doing the wire going to one of the sets of points was over stressed and stretched enough for the P-lead wire to break.

The wire in question is rubber insulated and when the wire broke the insulation remained intact,  pulling  the wires ends back together in contact and essentially hiding the damage. That lasted a couple of years until the wire ends arced and melted hidden within the insulation. Every time the wire went open, it caused the engine to hammer and buck. The magneto guy at Sac Sky Ranch said when it went open, removing the capacitor from the circuit, it effectively advanced the spark.

bumper

Bumper

Waiting on the mag shop report to see what the problem was.  I have had 51Am for 16 years.  The only other problem I have had with the mag was a bad capacitor bout 6 years ago. The plane came out of annual 3 months and what you described is entirely possible..  What gets me is the 8.5 hr for the R&R.  I emailed the mechanic and we are going to have a chat.   

The first time I R&R the D3000 it took forever and caused me to use a lot of foul language. It is quite a puzzle. After 10 years of owning and servicing the dual mag I can put it on and time it in less then 30 min.

If they didn't have any experience with the mag it may have taken that long. You shouldn't have to pay for their education.

• Like 1

These type of post seem to come up every few months, so here is a Lycoming document that shows the hrs they are willing to reimburse shops for who perform labor work.  Perhaps you can show this to the shop who billed 8 hrs to change a mag.

that document is from 2000, it is now 2013 so those numbers do not take into account inflation........if t took 2.5 hours then now it would have to be at least 8 hrs  :D

I would defiantly be questioning the amount of time he took to do the job, even adding in the cowl R&R and maybe pulling the vacuum pump he has a lot of unaccounted for hours. as for the 950 mag repair that is a good price, but where did the the other $244 come from? you could ship them around the world twice for that amount. 

by the way what shop should we be avoiding?

Brian

The previous owners of our plane got banged for a 1000$ charge to R&R a Bendix D2000 dual mag due to "hard starting".  Then a couple months later the whole fuel injection system was overhauled due to "hard starting" and after that, no more repairs in that area.  Perhaps a failure of diagnosis?

OK ,the long version.  Hot right mag.  Brought into West Texas Aero  and specifically told the boys to check the P lead and obvious connections that would cause such.  Was inspected and told it was internal to the mag and got the feeling then.  Shipped off to Quality Aircraft accessories for repair and 500 hr inspection.  Got mag back, installed and its fine.  Got $1800 bill for the mag work I.E. 8.5 hours to R&R mag @ $80/Hr and for the mag rework $1018 with a %20 markup (which is  reasonable not the labor).  Called QAA and asked about what repairs were done.  New points, gears, shaft bearing, condensers, capacitors. and impulse springs.  With the exception of the shaft bearing (which is condition based) this is all standard replacement for a 500 Hr inspection from QAA.  The mag had 360 hrs  and 4 yrs since last inspection.

So i am probably going to bitch some more and see if I can get the labor cost down and pay the bill..

Welcome to the price of ownership and airplanes where everything is one decimal point to the right of what it should cost...

• 3 years later...