Hot Starts IO-360 - now as easy as cold starts!!

2 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

I let it sit in a hanger for 30 mins to cool the starter (after 5-6 attempts) and my frustrations haha. Normal start no boost pump worked after that, thanks for the help! The flight home was exciting with thermals and the generator CB popping. G2 helped me identify a lack of charging first so I turned off some equipment and reset Generator CB, it did not repop, but mooney amps gauge was showing 35-40 amps which seems very high to me. 

Jon, 40 amps (or even more) after you've run the battery down with a lot of starter grinding is reasonable. I assume it gradually returned to a more normal 3-4 amps after an hour or less flying. Are you sure you still have a generator? Most(?) '60s era Es would have been converted to something like a 70a Plane Power alternator.  

1 hour ago, Bob_Belville said:

Jon, 40 amps (or even more) after you've run the battery down with a lot of starter grinding is reasonable. I assume it gradually returned to a more normal 3-4 amps after an hour or less flying. Are you sure you still have a generator? Most(?) '60s era Es would have been converted to something like a 70a Plane Power alternator.  

Yup still rocking the Generator. I was seeing about 18-19 AMPS down to SSI, it's a short flight ~25 mins and I had used the battery the night prior to load NavData so I imagine the battery was in need of some charging on the way down. I know when below 12-1300 RPMs the generator is not producing enough power to supply the aircraft so I imagine it never fully charged on the flight down, then with a decent taxi over to parking (battery draw) and then the 4+ start attempts really took it's toll. 

I plan to head to the aircraft tomorrow AM with my NOCO Genius 12/24 Volt, 7200mA Multi-Purpose Battery Charger and let it trickle charge for 30m-1hour and maybe go up on a short flight after that to check it all out. 

10 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

Yup still rocking the Generator. I was seeing about 18-19 AMPS down to SSI, it's a short flight ~25 mins and I had used the battery the night prior to load NavData so I imagine the battery was in need of some charging on the way down. I know when below 12-1300 RPMs the generator is not producing enough power to supply the aircraft so I imagine it never fully charged on the flight down, then with a decent taxi over to parking (battery draw) and then the 4+ start attempts really took it's toll. 

I plan to head to the aircraft tomorrow AM with my NOCO Genius 12/24 Volt, 7200mA Multi-Purpose Battery Charger and let it trickle charge for 30m-1hour and maybe go up on a short flight after that to check it all out. 

Jon, since you do still have a generator the comment I made about acceptable amps might not be correct. You are correct that a generator won't keep up with energy draw at low rpm like an alternator does.

On 7/14/2013 at 11:04 PM, FlyDave said:

You'll spare your starter and battery from a LOT of wear using this procedure.

Thanks Dave I’m gonna give it a try. Does this work as well when the engine is totally heat soaked like a quick turn around after refueling as it does when cranking 30-60 minutes after shutdown ?

The prop control doesn’t matter on starts.
The full throttle and full mixture forward will drain the fuel lines, if you watch the fuel pressure it will drop, thus you get all fresh cool fuel. Maxwells method works on short stops as he demonstrated in his video, but if stop takes 15 minutes or more, not as well. By draining the fuel lines you will start from a consistent state. My old AP who owns a J taught me this technique.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2018 at 2:15 AM, Bravoman said:

Thanks Dave I’m gonna give it a try. Does this work as well when the engine is totally heat soaked like a quick turn around after refueling as it does when cranking 30-60 minutes after shutdown ?

I wrote this procedure when I had a J.

My hot start for a heat soaked Bravo is mixture full rich, prop full forward, throttle 1,000 rpm and no priming. It should start in a few blades.

My hot start for a heat soaked Bravo is mixture full rich, prop full forward, throttle 1,000 rpm and no priming. It should start in a few blades.

Stranger danger! Either the wife or the music has kept you off of MooneySpace.

I thought you were supposed to watch NotarPilot. He was at it again over the weekend. Installing CiES senders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Stranger danger! Either the wife or the music has kept you off of MooneySpace.

I thought you were supposed to watch NotarPilot. He was at it again over the weekend. Installing CiES senders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ha! Music buddy....music :D.

Wife? Keep me from external activities?  Naw :huh:

I'm trying to keep an eye on Notar but he's a wiley one....you know those egg-beater pilots - they just hover wherever they want...outa sight and all....STEALTH :ph34r:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, FlyDave said:

Mine is slightly different, I keep the mixture at idle cut off or sometimes just give it a real quick shot of fuel and run the fuel pump for a minute or so. Have never had a problem doing that either. I think if your mags and timing  are in good shape that’s most of the battle.