Airliner. Aisiana 777 crashed at SFO at 11:30 today.

Slim, cute, long legs and polished wings. That would do it for me.

Actually, I'm satisfied with what I have.

Your first obsevation belies your second one. ;) But not to worry...I'll never tell.

Will one of you superbly educated logicians please explain the correlation between Flight Crew proficiency and Cabin Crew dress standards? And please use small, pilot-friendly words, I only have two Engineering degrees. But I like nicely dressed, attractive people, and being male, I prefer women. :-)

....explain the correlation between Flight Crew proficiency and Cabin Crew dress standards?

Even an engineer like me can understand how a cute flight attendant with long legs and a short skirt could distract a pilot.

Allowing the distraction to get you low and slow on final approach would require a VERY short skirt, however.

Even an engineer like me can understand how a cute flight attendant with long legs and a short skirt could distract a pilot.

Allowing the distraction to get you low and slow on final approach would require a VERY short skirt, however.

Please clarify, what was low and slow?

I've not been on an airliner since 9-11 that allowed cabin crew on the flight deck anywhere near final approach, if at all below the magical 10,000' when conversation, computers in the back and/or passenger refreshments may destroy navigation and flight control. But I do like cute attendants with long legs, short skirts and nice smiles! Guess I am also not a "typical" engineer . . . .

Please clarify, what was low and slow?

All media reports that I have seen seem to agree that the Asiana flight [see thread title for details] was a couple of hundred feet below glideslope [ = "low" ] and 30 knots below Vref [ = "slow" ]. We don't have a Vref because we have piston engines, but it's the result of a weight-based calculation [ Vref + 5 /-0 knots] to be used at least on short final when landing your favorite airliner.

As good as VASIs and PAPIs in daylight (I would hope).  Now you just need to be able to read English. (Funnier in California where our Department of Motors Vehicles provides interpreters for drivers license applicants who cannot understand English. Makes you wonder about reading regulatory and warning signs).  Driving between my office or home to San Carlos Airport has more close calls than flying in our very dense and complex airspace.  

• Like 1

New lawsuits were filed this week against Boeing claiming they were "deficient" in training the Asiana pilots even though it is not known whether Boeing actually trained them or not. Boeing is also being sued for not having an aural speed warning in place.

As for the later, I feel the stick shaker provides plenty of sound.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a highly placed lala land source said: "we don't want our screw ups filmed anymore".  :rolleyes:

After airliner crash, SF chief bans helmet cams

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A San Francisco Fire Department ban on video cameras now explicitly includes helmet-mounted devices that film emergency scenes, according to Chief Joanne Hayes-White.

The edict comes after images taken in the aftermath of the July 6 Asiana Airlines crash at the San Francisco airport led to questions about first responders' actions, which resulted in a survivor being run over by a fire truck.

Hayes-White told the San Francisco Chronicle ( http://bit.ly/16zguEN) she is concerned about the privacy of victims and firefighters.

"There comes a time that privacy of the individual is paramount, of greater importance than having a video," she said.

The footage recorded by Battalion Chief Mark Johnson's helmet camera shows a Fire Department truck running over 16-year-old Ye Meng Yuan while she was lying on the tarmac covered with fire-retardant foam.

Two other passengers died and 180 people were injured when the Boeing 777 clipped a seawall while approaching the runway and caught fire. Images from the video were published in the San Francisco Chronicle, which reported that the footage indicates that Johnson had not been told that Ye was on the ground.

San Francisco police, the San Mateo County coroner and the National Transportation Safety Board are reviewing the footage.

Hayes-White said her 2009 ban on video cameras in facilities was meant to include emergency scenes, but critics inside and outside of the department question the timing.

"The department seems more concerned with exposure and liability than training and improving efficiency," Battalion Chief Kevin Smith told the newspaper. "Helmet cams are the wave of the future – they can be used to improve communication at incidents between firefighters and commanders."

The attorney for Ye's family also criticized the decision.

"Why would anybody not want to know the truth?" asked Anthony Tarricone.

Hayes-White said she's concerned that the fire department could be liable for violating privacy laws. Houston and Baltimore also ban the use of helmet cameras.

"There's a lot of concern related to privacy rights and the city taping without a person being aware of it while responding to medical calls," she said. "A lot of information is sensitive."

The Associated Press.