Pirep IPad & possibly Tablet electronic checklist

I would like to know if anyone has experience with an electronic check list?  I am looking to clean up the cockpit and since I have both the IPad & a Tablet yoke mounted... yea I know... too much..stuff, but I do use them both and will most likely migrate to the IPad in the end.  I also plan to mount / fix the IPad somehow to a location other than the Yoke in order to maximize the Xavion app use. So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions to mounting the IPad somehow in the center of a Mooney below the main panel, chime in with that as well.

Looking for a app that I can customize and has emergency check list, night / day (bright / dim).

Thanks in advance,

Lacee 

I tried a couple of the "off the shelf" checklist programs and found it is a real disadvantage to need to physically check off each item, i.e. by touching a box or something. It takes far too much time while the engine is running. The slickest thing for me was to create a checklist with everything I wanted on it, including emergency procedures, make it a .pdf and download it to "Documents" in Foreflight. Then I just run my finger down the list as I would with a paper list. I use it every time I fly. I did mine by using a thorough checklist from a local flying school, then going through my POH and putting in everything from the Mooney manual. The model checklist I used creates a little duplication, but for a good cause. There is a "runup" section, and then a "before takeoff" section, and some duplication between the two. The reason for a separate "before takeoff" is so that when doing pattern work, you can taxi to the hold short line and just run the "before takeoff" section, then you are ready to go. Mine is for my 231, so probably somewhat different from yours but I would be glad to send it to you. I would send it in Word format, and you can then change it as you wish and make the .pdf.

• Like 2

I first created a checklist using Pages on the iPad with a written checklist, then tried a couple of electronic checklists.  What I have been happiest with and have been using for over a year is AudioCoPilot.  It is quite different, a sequential electronic checklist where you verbally record the items you want checked into the app on an iPhone.  When you activate the app, it begins playing back each item as if someone were reading you the list.  This allows you to be completely hands free and just follow the verbal prompts.  If your headset will connect via Bluetooth to your iPhone it works even better.  You can break up the checklist into different sections such as Before Start, Engine Start, Before Taxi, etc.  The only time you have to touch the phone is to start each section.  Costs $2.99.

• Like 1

I've been using "roll your own" printed checklists for years. I've tried electronic ones, even those that allowed me to create/edit them but have always gone back to the ones specifically created and formatted to me. Like some of the others, I found the electronic checklists more trouble than they are worth.

Since getting rid of paper in the cockpit, my "paper" checklists are now PDF files ported to Goodreader and as "documents" in ForeFlight. The pdf files are also bookmarked for Normal, Emergency, and some other informational sections to get around easier if I need to.

I've been using an electronic checklist for some time now and it has worked out great.  Checklister XP is a Windows based product that is very simple and fast.  As I complete a section (i.e., preflight) I click on a tab and it compresses that section bringing the next section below it into view.  It took a little while to get used to it but I use it every time so I must prefer it.

I have tried several electronic checklists on my iphone and Ipad. I must say that I am not convinced. They are cumbersome (and I love electronics and gadgets BTW) and at the end of the day not very practical. Also, I have not found an electronic checklist for my M20C...

So I am sticking to my old paper check list, at least for the time being. 

• Like 1

Nothing beats the single page laminated checklist. It's quick and easy, fits on the knee board, and has everything you need. I've never quite figured out the logistics of using a checklist that you actually have to CHECK OFF to move from one thing to the next. Seems like overkill to me, but I'm just sayin'...

• Like 2

I like my 2 sided custom laminated check list that I fold and stow above my head under the lip of the plastic headliner. If I have another pilot beside me I pull up the check list on the GPS 696 that is mounted on the right side of the panel. We can do transport crew - read - acknowledge. The 696 check list is multi-page with all kinds of reference info in addition to emergency procedures, JPI 930 key strokes, cruise power setting, and a left over shopping list for Sun-n-Fun. 

Great feedback, I will check into and see which if any of the above will fit or that I could adjust to.  

Thanks again everyone and if anyone has additional info please send it my way!

I especially think I want to learn more and possibly try the hands free verbal check list option that Wistarmo suggested.

I also think there may be a self learning curve and discipline required (possibly helpful and possibly not) of checking off an item.

One thing it makes me think it will provide a check back that it has been checked and that may be worth the discipline and effort.

Again Thanks, keep it coming, there is hope....yea I know not much hope  for me 

Fly safe,

Rocket On!

Another vote for ForeFlight Checklist Pro.  I have been using it for over three years.  I have it on my iPhone for preflight and walking around and on the iPod Touch attached to the yoke for inflight - this has worked great for me.  In addition to customizing checklists for the aircraft that I fly, I have also created a passenger briefing checklist, AirVenture Arrival, etc.  I like the feature to sync checklists between devices and the ability to edit on the device or on the web.

--Alex