How often do you change your oil?

NotarPilot

On 6/27/2013 at 5:20 AM, PTK said:

I change the oil q 35 hours or 4 months whichever comes first. Like a clock. It's also consistent with Lycoming's recommendations. (q 50 hours or 4 months.)

You could always do an oil analysis. Might find the oil properties are fine after 4 months. I change every 6 months but I’m dojng oil analysis so I know the condition of the old oil. 

-Robert 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

You could always do an oil analysis. Might find the oil properties are fine after 4 months. I change every 6 months but I’m dojng oil analysis so I know the condition of the old oil. 

-Robert 

I agree. The oil doesn't breakdown that fast so I’m not concerned about the oil’s properties. My main goal is to get rid of all the combustion byproducts. Oil analyses always, goes without saying. 

Edited by PTK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hoot777 said:

My m20G has no filter.  So is 25 to 30 hours about right ??   I use Blackstone for an analysis

Lycoming has guidance for engines with and without filters.  I’m pretty sure it’s 50/25 hours and ~4 months but I think you’ll find it if you search for lycoming oil change guidelines.

2 hours ago, Bunti said:

I change the oil and the filter approx. every 25 to 30  hours but never later than every 6 months. 

I think you’ll find little to no benefit to filter changes more than every 50 to 100 hours. I seem to recall Lycoming says 100. Unless you have serious engine problems and are seeing metal in the filter. 

-Robert 

28 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I think you’ll find little to no benefit to filter changes more than every 50 to 100 hours. I seem to recall Lycoming says 100. Unless you have serious engine problems and are seeing metal in the filter. 

Lycoming is clear - oil AND filter every 50 hours or 4 months.

1 hour ago, hmasing said:

Lycoming is clear - oil AND filter every 50 hours or 4 months.

Yea I said 50-100. I see no benefit to 20 hour filter changes. I’ve seen many of them. Honestly if you’re seeing stuff jn your filter at 20 hours you probably have big issues. 

-Robert 

Yea I said 50-100. I see no benefit to 20 hour filter changes. I’ve seen many of them. Honestly if you’re seeing stuff jn your filter at 20 hours you probably have big issues. 

-Robert 

It’s the stuff you don’t see...like acids that can cause corrosion over time. Oil is cheap, overhauls are not. It depends on how long the engine will be bathing in the dirty oil. If you fly 50-100 hours a month vs 50-100 hours a year.

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

It’s the stuff you don’t see...like acids that can cause corrosion over time. Oil is cheap, overhauls are not. It depends on how long the engine will be bathing in the dirty oil. If you fly 50-100 hours a month vs 50-100 hours a year.

You’re talking about oil. I’m talking about the filter. . 
But you should do an oil analysis so you can see the acids that build over time. It’s no mystery. 

-Robert