How often do you change your oil?

NotarPilot

This question is more geared towards the people who fly less than 100 hours a year but if you don't hit 35-40 hours in 4 months, do you still change the oil?  I understand you should change it every 4 months regardless if you hit 35-40 hours.  I think I'm closer to 80 hours per year so I would probably hit 40 hours every 6 months or so.

I change mine every 50 hours. Just finished adding up hours for insurance renewal, I hit 94.2 hours in the last 11 months. Tach time on the engine is somewhat less. I'm just about to change the oil, the first evening we are storm-free, as I'm at about 46-48 tach hours.

I target every 50 hours, but since the plane flies about 250 hours a year, often 25 hours between departure and return to home base, it varies from about 40-60 hours. Every oil change, I send a sample to AVLAB in New Orleans.

-Andrew

What's the harm in not changing the oil for 6 months if you are under 40-50 hours?

no harm from my experience.

however, it is good to keep in mind that engines can be different. Is your engine very dry (ie very low oil consumption) ? 

I have my doubts there is any real downside to extending the time limit if you are not flying, but the gurus say that exposure to the atmosphere will degrade the additives whether it is flying or not.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Every 25 hours oil only, filter every 50. I fly about 120-140 hours per year. I don't bother with oil Analysis (don't know anyone who has done more than "keep an eye on it" in response to an odd reading) but do inspect the filter element.

• 6 years later...