WingX for Dummies

A few of you have been trying to help me with getting WingX working. Rather than dilute Don's ForeFlight thread any further, I thought I would start a thread, correctly named I believed.

The reason I downloaded WingX was to give it a fair shot at competing for my business and more importantly, since they support an open hiearchy with respect to antenna, I thought if I liked it, I would dump my ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot. 

I loaded the app on June 23rd and here 3 days later, I still can't get it to work correctly. This morning after another session of headbutting with it, I uninstalled the app and re-installed it. Now I have different problems. Ugh!

Quick recap:

> I was able to load the app without error, created a log-in to Hilton and was able to download the CONUS databases for everything except what it skipped (fuel and something else).

> I was able to play around with it for a day and everything was working. I started to think I was onto to a winner. Then I went to setup a route and off course I went. I haven't recovered since.

Here are a few screen shots of the stuff I am seeing.

It started with the missing map while trying to do flight planning:

post-9886-0-36925900-1372268011_thumb.pn

It was suggested that I may not have the databases, so I tried downloading them again and got this:

post-9886-0-83912300-1372268070_thumb.pn

Like someone who has been running Windows since it was just called Windows, I took the next logical step; I gave it a damn good thrashing and de-installed it. After re-installing it, it does think it is a new install and asks me to install the databases. When I did, it came back with this:

post-9886-0-93394300-1372268202_thumb.pn

So I here I sit, humbled... UNCLE!

UNCLE!

UNCLE!

UNCLE!

UNCLE!

UNCLE!

UNCLE!

UNCLE!

Any suggestions? I thought it might have been a memory issue so I freed up 2Gb of memory for a total of 4 Gb. I also truncated the database and just selected eastern U.S. No matter, it just doesn't want to move forward.

Is this a memory problem?

Oh, great this email just showed up with something from Hilton:

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2013/06/wingx-pro-tip-charttouch/?utm_source=ipadnews&utm_medium=email

Sure! Rub some salt in the wound... I would love to try chart planning!

I am beginning to wonder if some of my current issues are related to the inability to download the current databases. I have unloaded my ForeFlight and a bunch of other stuff to give me 30 Gb of free space. No reason not to download now. When I do the downloads I get this: post-9886-13722704506883_thumb.jpg

Is this because the download from Hilton is dying on the vine? The new cycle should be out and I wonder if it is a bandwidth issue with their site. The "pending" stuff turns into "timeout".

I have been running it on an Ipad 3 for over a year now.  It has been rock solid.  Early on I had some questions and found calling Hilton was better than emailing.  Give him a call and he should help trouble shoot it. 

I have been running it on an Ipad 3 for over a year now.  It has been rock solid.  Early on I had some questions and found calling Hilton was better than emailing.  Give him a call and he should help trouble shoot it. 

Thanks Dan. When I get home tonight (don't you just hate it when work interfers with things? :) ), I will try one more attempt at resolving this myself, then call.

I run 64g iPad 2 and never had any problems. After looking at your pictures above it looks like you are close to getting everything to download. If you get a timeout just hit download again and it will pick up where it left off. This may be an issue with your server. Mine does this sometimes as well.

I read your comment on Don's thread about it working after using tapatalk. Have you tried turning everything off that is running in the background and then trying the download? I'm sure you know about the four finger swipe from the bottom of the screen toward the top of the screen to enable you to close out everything running in the background.

I run 64g iPad 2 and never had any problems. After looking at your pictures above it looks like you are close to getting everything to download. If you get a timeout just hit download again and it will pick up where it left off. This may be an issue with your server. Mine does this sometimes as well. I read your comment on Don's thread about it working after using tapatalk. Have you tried turning everything off that is running in the background and then trying the download? I'm sure you know about the four finger swipe from the bottom of the screen toward the top of the screen to enable you to close out everything running in the background.
Well, it has been an interesting evening. I was finally able to get the databases to load but now am struggling with it staying connected to my XGPS150. It will pop up with the "No GPS" at the top. I will get the blank screens from time to time also. I can recover by tapping the the show above button and the maps come back. If I can get it stable I will try flying with it this weekend. There seems to be a lot packed into it, but not a very intuitive package.

Yeah, I would just go with one of the others, Chris. At ths point I think that they are all good and they will only keep getting better. No point beating your head up against the wall. Jim
Hi Jim -- I really want to give WingX a fair shake. It is the only app out there (of any credibility) that has an open hierarchy for the antennas. I am hoping that I am dealing with start-up issues and that can be resolved in the next 30 days. You guys are using successfully, right? Unlike FF and Pilot, it is certainly not as easy to use, but I will start going through the help section to see if I can figure out how to make it work correctly.

Chris, as to your Blue Tooth issue, try, Settings, General, Reset, then Reset Network Settings, then repair your XGPS150 and your iPad. You shouldn't have to do this again, but it is where to start whenever you have connection issues. Jim
I've learned that unlike FF and Pilot, WingX does not seem to like having the WiFi on when it is running. Shutting off WiFi seemed to help the connectivity. I also did the location reset thing I found on the web. An issue with WingX an iOS6. I was able to get it running. Will drive in with it tomorrow and see how it does on the road.

WingX worked great for me right away a little over two years ago and was so intuitive that I didn't even need (or have) any instructions. Admittedly, though, there is much more to it now than there was then. Good luck. I admire your persistence. Jim
Well Jim, I'm like many of us, I happened to be wired a certain way. I find FF more cumbersome than Pilot and WingX more than both of them. I work in an industry where we make high end electronic measurement equipment for a variety of industries. I'm not going to let an iPad app beat me this easily. ;) Thanks for the help! I will keep you posted on my progress.

I have 3G iPad 2 and have only used the internal iPad GPS for all of my navigating without any problems. Never have had a need for an external GPS connection. I'm a visual learner and watching all of the Hilton You Tube tutorials really helped.

I have 3G iPad 2 and have only used the internal iPad GPS for all of my navigating without any problems. Never have had a need for an external GPS connection. I'm a visual learner and watching all of the Hilton You Tube tutorials really helped.
I don't have an onboard GPS on my iPad so I need to rely on the XGPS150. Hilton says it is a compatible unit. Just wonder if compatibility means with the iPad WiFi off. I have watched his videos. Just wish they were organized better. One on route making, one on using extrernal devices, etc. would help.

Chris, I used a bluetooth XGPS150 with WingX for two years before recently switching to a SkyRadar GPS/ADS-B receiver, which connects to the iPad via Wi-Fi. No problems with either. Jim
Hi Jim, Well... After trying a few more "rub my belly while hopping on my left foot" things, I think I got it working. When I had the WiFi on and not connected, I would periodically (like every few seconds) see the red "no GPS" message on the main map screen. I turned off the WiFi and it stayed connected longer but would still drop out. I then dropped the Bluetooth pair with the XGPS150 and re-paired it. The connection stayed for the remainder of my ride in to work. I will leave the WiFi on this afternoon and see what happens. My main goal after ensuring stability is to see if I like it. I figured out the route planning and I will see how easy it continues to be. One question I do have is whether the maps will/should show when I do not have the GPS antenna connected. I would think you would want the maps to show so you can do route planning. Mine will sometimes disappear, only to reappear the next time I use it.

Note to self: Add items to checklist....

(1) Plug in and connect to wifi (from ipad settings) and GPS antena.

(2) turn on cloud ahoy (to capture T/O performance).

(3) turn on WingX, check that it is current with flight plan and charts

(4) check connections from within WingX, for ADSB and external antenna etc. (to know weather and traffic are going to be there)

(5) Cloud Ahoy does a nice visual interpretation of the importance of the external antena. The internal antena shows my plane near the runway and may fade away briefly while flying. External antena shows me on the center line and doesn't miss a beat. My external antena is on the glare shield

(6) complete the same above for each back-up Idevice.

It's better to do this on the ground than anywhere else...

How do you guys handle this task?

Best regards,

-a-

Note to self: Add items to checklist.... (1) turn on wifi... (2) turn on cloud ahoy (to capture T/O performance) (3) turn on WingX (4) check connections from within WingX, ADSB etc. (to know weather and traffic are going to be there) It's better on the ground than anywhere else... How do you guys handle this task? Best regards, -a-
It gets even better... Turn on the iPhone 5 and get the Xavion running and go through it's checklist. Setup the Nexus 7 on the yoke to run Garmin Pilot. Mount the iPad on the kneeboard for WingX. It's all simple to do... Just spit the gum out before you begin the process.

I find FF more cumbersome than Pilot and WingX more than both of them. Then why switch, if that's what you're doing? I ask because my FF is up for renewal, so: :)
Because there is madness to my endeavor. WingX is the only of the 3 that supports an open antenna hierachy. And being the cheap b$st@rd, err, fiscally responsible person I am, I am willing to trade off a little in the GUI for the ability to get weather and traffic (with ADS-B out) capabilities at a more reasonable price. Besides -- it's all Jim's fault! He got me started when he started talking about Xavion and the ADS-B out stuff.