Gettelman Lug Bug

Posted Image

Chris let me know if this is good enough. He says he'll go get more pics if you need them.

Thanks Brett! Clears up the mystery a lot. What I thought was a handyman fabrication, is actually part of the original Lug Bug design.

For those following the thread, I have uncovered some other details about the mystery I am working. I got a chance to see a gas powered PowerTow unit in person. After looking it over, I believe the original Gettelman design was most likely bought by PowerTow and incorporated into their product.

The clue comes from the gear box. It is very unique design and appears to be based on a simple snowblower type design, i.e. low forward and reverse speeds without any faster gearing either in forward or reverse direction. In the research I did on Gettelman the man, he was a designer and builder of snowblowers. He "retired" to aviation and built the Lug Bug design. From my original post, he sold off his company and after the buyer retired himself, the trail went cold.

Here is a picture of PowerTow's gear box: post-9886-13936042009074_thumb.jpg

Here is the one on my Lug Bug. The only difference is that the drive shaft has been reversed: post-9886-13936042570224_thumb.jpg

What do you think?

Sent using Tapatalk

Here's the transaxle that would be perfect for a tug. No clutch just smooth hyrdostatic control forward and reverse.

http://www.mowergraveyard.com/transaxles-c-13/peerless-hydro-transmission-vst-205-205031c-1772033-for-ltx14-p-11794.html?zenid=9ec92714afb6d74173da1c4f856638cd

Im waiting for a freebee......hell yes I'm cheap!

Shouldn't a tug/crew transport vehicle have a GEM and mixture control? That way it can be run LOP. Also cowl flaps, open for tow operations, closed for transport operations.

At this point I would settle for motion... :)

Sent using Tapatalk