Any Aspen MFD / Garmin GDL-88 Owners?

As some of you know, I have been working through the portable ADS-B options. In order to get full capability on the portable platforms, I would be spending quite a bit. So much in fact, that it makes the panel stuff look even better.

Since I have an Aspen 2000 setup, my MFD is capable of displaying weather and traffic on it. At this point, I believe only the GDL-88 is available to interface with my Garmin GTN 650. Talking with a couple of avionics shops, it is not clear what, if anything will be displayed on the Aspen. According to these shops, the Garmin GDL-88 will only display on the GTN, not the Aspen MFD. For those of you that have this configuration, is this true?

If this is not true, could you fill me in on a few details?

> Ballpark cost of installed product? I got numbers from the two shops I spoke with, but want confirmation of real world numbers.

> These shop also said that two antennae configurations were available. Something about shading occuring and faster upload speeds with two. If you had the GDL-88 installed, can you confirm any of this?

> How does the GDL-88 function with respect to the MFD's capabilities of presenting textual weather information? (I know that radar uploads and traffic should be displayed, but in the MFD manual, it shows the capabilitiy of panning to an airport and getting the textual description -- does that work as advertised?)

> Is there anything you find you like or dislike with the setup?

Thanks,

B26 aka Marauder

I can't address the Apen display, but I can talk about the antenna for the GDL-88.  I opted (with the advice of my installer; EAM in Scottsdale), to use a single antenna.  Works perfectly, and I have not noticed shading, and upload speed of data seems fast (not noticeable) to me. Hope this helps.  Too many antennas already!  

I can't address the Apen display, but I can talk about the antenna for the GDL-88.  I opted (with the advice of my installer; EAM in Scottsdale), to use a single antenna.  Works perfectly, and I have not noticed shading, and upload speed of data seems fast (not noticeable) to me. Hope this helps.  Too many antennas already!  

Thanks Bennett! I can understand the shading concern, but when they both said it would upload quicker, I started scratching my head. I agree, less antennas would be preferred.

B26, like Bennett I cannot speak to the 2nd Aspen screen, I only have one. But I do have a GDL 88, single antenna, displays on GTN 750. Works fine. (The single antenna was on recommendation of Robbie @ Twin Lakes Avionics who assured me, correctly, that a second antenna was not needed on my Mooney.)

Bob

I called Aspen about this before SNF.  The first person to whom I spoke didn't even know what ADS-B was.  The second said they didn't have the ability to use the Garmin stuff because Garmin wouldn't let them.  Since then, nothing.

I called Aspen about this before SNF. The first person to whom I spoke didn't even know what ADS-B was. The second said they didn't have the ability to use the Garmin stuff because Garmin wouldn't let them. Since then, nothing.
I think there is some gamesmanship going on here. One shop I spoke to today is a big one that does a lot of volume. They told me that Aspen has been the delay in opening up the interface with the GDL-88 to work with the MFD. According to them, the protocol for ADS-B is supposed to be an open format. The Aspen delay is presumably to allow their own ADS-B solution to become available and not to lose the business to early adopters. He said they received hundreds of calls from Aspen owners the day after the March press release announcing Aspen's "future" ADS-B solution (looking for availability). Somewhere in all the truth exists...

B26, I don't think so. At SnF I attended an Aspen event at which Aspen told us they would have their own altitude hold in a few months, we should wait. They have taken on investors and teamed up with an Italian tech company to speed up product development. I had seen the APS4A advertised and asked about it so this is different though they might be using the Germans' technology for all I know. I got the impression that the feature would not require a visible interface, the Aspen software would add the feature. 

Bob

B26, I don't think so. At SnF I attended an Aspen event at which Aspen told us they would have their own altitude hold in a few months, we should wait. They have taken on investors and teamed up with an Italian tech company to speed up product development. I had seen the APS4A advertised and asked about it so this is different though they might be using the Germans' technology for all I know. I got the impression that the feature would not require a visible interface, the Aspen software would add the feature. Bob
The stuff they sell today is indeed German. But does require an interface box from what I can tell. If it is software only, that would be nice. I also heard that the ADS-B stuff they announced is still in FAA approval. I will call them today and get the scoop on all this.

• 2 years later...

Hey Chris,

I am hearing the same thing from my avionics guy.  No one wants to play nice in the sandbox!!  I was trying to plan my panel upgrade  (Aspen & ADS-B) and he told me to hold off for fear one won't talk to the other!!. I was considering getting rid of my 696 and getting a 796 so with the Aspen I would have dual AHRS and Garmin couldn't even guarentee what would talk to what!!

Hey Chris,

I am hearing the same thing from my avionics guy. No one wants to play nice in the sandbox!! I was trying to plan my panel upgrade (Aspen & ADS-B) and he told me to hold off for fear one won't talk to the other!!. I was considering getting rid of my 696 and getting a 796 so with the Aspen I would have dual AHRS and Garmin couldn't even guarentee what would talk to what!!

I'm still in a holding pattern on the ADS-B stuff. I think more and more changes are coming. The GDL-88 output until just this year did not work on Garmin's G500. They did a firmware update to enable it. I think I heard that way back in 2012 when the GDL-88 was introduced.

Considering that a good sized Aspen population exists, I'm holding out to see if Garmin will introduce the GDL-88 to work on an Aspens. That would be my ideal solution. If it doesn't happen before the mandate, I will go with the Aspen ADS-B solution.

I had a WX-500 installed this summer and I found that I spend a lot more time looking at the Aspens than I do the Garmin even though both units will display the StormScope information. My only interest in the -88 is that it would allow me to add a FlightStream 210 and port it over the iPad app and allow me to do flight plan downloads to the navigator.

Let us know what you are doing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A little off topic.

I flew from KFDK to KSMQ yesterday with my new iLevil2-AW displaying traffic on the iPad. Wow. It sure doesn't look like GA is dying........

I ASSUMED all the targets I saw was because someone in my area was triggering the system to reply? Lots of traffic around Philly but..........

I was constantly seeing many, many planes low to the ground, mostly around airports, doing pattern work.

Is this normal for NJ?

My only interest in the -88 is that it would allow me to add a FlightStream 210 and port it over the iPad app and allow me to do flight plan downloads to the navigator.

Actually, the most important aspect of the GDL 88 in my opinion is its TargetTrend capability if you have a compatible display.  Of course the iPad with FlightStream 210 would be a compatible display, if you don't have a GTN or G500.

A little off topic.

I flew from KFDK to KSMQ yesterday with my new iLevil2-AW displaying traffic on the iPad. Wow. It sure doesn't look like GA is dying........

I ASSUMED all the targets I saw was because someone in my area was triggering the system to reply? Lots of traffic around Philly but..........

I was constantly seeing many, many planes low to the ground, mostly around airports, doing pattern work.

Is this normal for NJ?

Welcome to the East coast Tom! You betcha! I think due to the great weather we had this weekend, there were a lot more planes out than normal.

I flew down to Ocean Maryland yesterday and the skies were packed. Both in patterns and along the corridors outside of Philly. So much in fact, that I climbed up to 9,500 to stay away from them. There is usually a high density of airplanes in between Philly and the SFRA as people head to and back from the shore points.

Unfortunately, I am not seeing the whole TIS-B traffic but will occasionally parasite on someone. That is when it gets really scary to watch. On my trip home last night, I decided to fly out towards Lancaster a bit before returning to my airport. My iPad didn't show any traffic but right in front of me I was barreling down on a Cessna 150. When I got to about 2 miles away, they suddenly showed up on my TIS-B although I was only getting a partial traffic.

Actually, the most important aspect of the GDL 88 in my opinion is its TargetTrend capability if you have a compatible display. Of course the iPad with FlightStream 210 would be a compatible display, if you don't have a GTN or G500.

I do like the TargetTrend that I see on my Garmin Pilot. Especially helpful when overtaking a slower plane. I get to see the full potential on occasion as I parasite off of someone's hockey puck. I just wish the products had more cross compatibility.

Can anyone tell me what is different about Garmin's "target trend" than say what is displayed on FLYQ, where it shows trend, direction, vertical deviation and position, using a Stratus, clarity or other ADS-B dual band receiver? I understand unless you have ADS-B out, you get an incomplete pic, but if you have 1090 ES xponder, what else does "target trend" give you that is absent other solutions?, From the G500 w. gdl 88, and the GTN750 w GDL 88 that I have flown, I haven't really grasped the additional features (short of audio alerts). I really like how it is displayed on the G500 but am missing what additional info it gives.

Can anyone tell me what is different about Garmin's "target trend" than say what is displayed on FLYQ, where it shows trend, direction, vertical deviation and position, using a Stratus, clarity or other ADS-B dual band receiver? I understand unless you have ADS-B out, you get an incomplete pic, but if you have 1090 ES xponder, what else does "target trend" give you that is absent other solutions?, From the G500 w. gdl 88, and the GTN750 w GDL 88 that I have flown, I haven't really grasped the additional features (short of audio alerts). I really like how it is displayed on the G500 but am missing what additional info it gives.

Mike, not sure what else you would want.  Is someone in a position to run into you or not?  Relative motion shows that.  I've just spent some time reviewing some of the videos of FlyQ.  The program has some very good features not available in other products  that I have seen.  Their videos are very helpful in determining what it does.  It does appear that it has something similar to the Garmin target trend, so would be another alternative for a non panel mounted solution.  It's the only program that has it that I am aware of.  The cost would probably be about the same as buying the GDL 39 that has TargetTrend built in and using Garmin Pilot.  The benefit of FlyQ is that since the software computes the trend, you can use all of their compatible ADS-B receivers instead of having to rely on the GDL 39 as Garmin Pilot requires.

Mike, which other programs did you investigate before going with FlyQ?