M20J wingtips

Just wondering, I have a M20J with the original(sawed off) wingtips, I would like to find a second hand set of "flared sexy" wingtips that will accept the Ailerons as they are with  the balance weights on the tip. does anyone want to part with the pair sitting in their hangar in some dark corner?

Thanks

Don't hold your breath...I'm afraid.  The tips you are talking about were a mod (can't remember who made them...maybe LASAR) so there won't be nearly as many out there as OEM tips.  For the record, I don't believe they offer any performance benefit beyond nicer appearance, unless you move the nav antennae to the tips and you might gain a knot.  It is an expensive change.

Here is the answer I got from Southwesr Aviation, Inc., a Mooney center in San Marcos, TX.

Russell said that they had an STC to manufacture and fit new wingtips to the M20J. They were made of Fiberglass or a similar composite. They had a wind storm in San Marcos that severely damaged a number of hangars, Russell's included. That damage included the machine that formed the wingtips. Soon after, they were going to repair the machine when the manufacturer of the resin in California indicated that the state of California had made them change the formulation of the resin because of a possible carcinogen being present in the mix. They recalled the resin and sent Southwest Texas Aviation a replacement batch, changed imperceptibly.

In strides the FAA (remember them, the guys who're here to help?) soon thereafter and say, "What's in the can?" Russell relays the story. The FAA says, "Well, you're going to have to re-apply for the STC since you've changed formulas." Ah, kind reader, if only you could have heard Russell's reply. . . . .

I've begged, pleaded, cried, threatened, and tried bribery, but they just aren't being made any longer. Russell has one, but he's not sure where that one is. LASAR apparently isn't going to have any, either.

The only thing I might suggest is to keep an eye out at salvage yards. If you find a supply, by all means let me know.

The great wingtip shortage of 2010!

IMHO, this is one of the few retrofits for early model Js worth the money. LASAR indicated to me that they would have a new batch of wingtips made up in about three months (maybe you have updated information). I've also got an MSC on the lookout at salvage yards, but no hits yet-- I guess our Mooneys are quite airworthy, or the wingtips are easily damaged in a crash (or hangar fire!).

I've also been patiently waiting for the Acclaim "mini-fins" --Bill Eldred from Mooney stated in Plane & Pilot Magazine that they would be available for retrofit on older Mooneys, but the slow economy has certainly stalled this potential STC.

And you could always go with OEM parts, which will cost you a small fortune even before installation.

I may have a pair for sale, I purchased a set from a 81 M20J, and our Canadan DOT may not allow an add on as easy as an FAA field approval. I am trying to get the counterweights included that would be hidden inside. I won't know for a few weeks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Reviving:  

FYI - the Aveo engineering group is attending and looking to give a pair of their new wingtips for a Mooney with the slab wingtips.  They need a donor aircraft for final certification.  Free $2500 tips if you guys know if anyone who wants wingtips.  Embedded LED nav and stobe lights 

PM me and I'll put you in touch with them:

IMG_5490.PNG

• Like 1