Keep non-aviation politics out of AOPA!

Please, just calling it what it is...... She spent three paragraphs attemptig to exhume her personal politics in order to fleece AOPA. We all have one beef or another with AOPA. Her's was political. If AOPA announced a PAC on biodiesel donations on their FB page, Becca wouldn't have started this thread. She didn't like the politics and was soliciting legions of the like-minded. If a few disagree, too bad. Craig Fuller ooozes red. His commentary was to be expected, especially given the end of his tenure. No shocker and no need to hope for a political band wagon. You can't expect to author a thread like this without stark contrast. Sorry, Hon.

Why are you so rude N4352H?  Are you rude like that in person or just when hiding behind an avatar?

• Like 1

X.

Happy to discuss with people who don't call me "hon", "whiney" or insult the name my parents chose for me over beer.

Otherwise, sorry to the otherwise normal Mooneyspacers for such a train wreck thread.

The topic was quite appropriate, but you got the tea party shout down treatment.  Some people just kick and scream if anyone has a opposing opinion.  Stick their fingers in their ears and say NAH NAH NAH real loud to drown it out.

No, I didn't (miss the point) I AGREE with all the problems with AOPA you stated, but they are discussed again and again and again and again-regarding the issues with aviation related concerns. The money, jet etc. are THE areas that Paul B discusses because AOPA won't. They are a problem....

BUT THAT is NOT what ticks you and your wife off...or your wife and you off...AND SHE brought it to MooneySpace...Not a note on concerns with future of AvGas or FAA "picking the winner" there, or issues with medical etc....

No it wasn't "the issues" it was HER issues with one issue...Fuller exercising free speech. You say SS is "a long way off"...2035. 20 years....People like you that put off on our children this train wreck can OWN THIS. YOU and politicians and leaders and those that do not demand change in entitlement programs ARE THE PROBLEM with the #1 issue with our future and our children's future.

You are about the issues one side vs the other. I just want to see the government START fixing a monumental problem. That there is discussion about the largest economic burden of the Federal Government bothers me NOT in the least. It should be talked about and a fix began every morning noon and night.

Scott yours is one of the few posts on this thread that while you are opposing Becca's opinion you are actually saying something rather than attacking the person saying it.

I do have this to say in response to what you say.  I agree of course that It is quite a free country and we do have the freedom of speech, but I hold that the president of the AOPA does not exactly have the right to express his opinion freely, at least without being aware that in his position, and in his paid post, he is representing the members of the AOPA.  Whether those folks like it or not.  Its almost impossible for him to get away from that.  So that is a responsibility that a member of the public like you are me do not need to worry about.

I think it was a fair expression of opinion, and I share it, that the president of the AOPA should be sharp to stay on aviation topics.  The flying community members come from both parties, as does the population of the country, as do the congressman they have successfully lobbied.  You are quite right (in a previous response above) that if we don't like what the AOPA says, or the president of the AOPA says on our behalf, that we are free to stop supporting the organization - I agree, but that would be a shame.  We are such a small community that splitting the community would just reduce our numbers.  I do not agree with this particular statement on his part, and since it is a one time thing I am not about to leave the AOPA this time, but it is worrisome and something to watch.  It would be quite within the free democratic process if the AOPA decides to start leaning in the direction of one party and lobbying more widely in that manner.  And in that case, I and I am sure many others would leave the organization.  If I, or Becca brings that up here, then does not make anyone whiney - or a hon.  ....I mean come on N4352H - you got anything more intelligent than that to sway peoples opinions, or to stand by your opinion.  You are better than that aren't you?

Actually, politics has become almost like religion in that it seems rarely that we change each others opinions lately.  We just get annoyed at hearing each others opposing opinions.  And worse so in Washington.  I do not remember in my lifetime Washington being so dysfunctional in the parties not working with each other.   Please don't pipe in and tell me it is the other party's fault and your favorite party is completely reasonable.

Okay, for the record, and as an example that yes there are people with opposing opinions, here is a small snippet of my opinion - I am not the AOPA prez after all so it is a free country and a free forum to boot! - balancing the budget at all costs alone is not a means to the end goal.  The end goal is a strong economy, with a great part of the population enjoying the wealth.  It is possible to try to balance so quickly that you just end up slowing the economy and slow the tax base faster than you can save on the expenditures end, with a result of being further behind that when you started.  This is a great danger and I worry that not enough people are even talking about that.  An economy is such a complicated thing as a whole, and I get really annoyed when politicians give the tired story to balance the economy is just like you balance your household income by counting the receipts around the kitchen table.  Govt spending well placed pays for all the things that private does not, roads, hospitals, general education, military, etc, that are meant to act as a catalyst to help the economy hum.  Yes, it can go awry too.

• Like 2

I propose a new section on mooneyspace called the toilet... for fascinating political discussions such as this one. I'm out.

201er, I agree completely.

But I like your idea so much I propose that we amplify your idea. I propose we rename Washington DC to be the District of Toilet.  Washington DT.

• Like 2

X.

Otherwise, sorry to the otherwise normal Mooneyspacers for such a train wreck thread.

Actually, this is pretty entertaining, Just wished I made the big bag of popcorn. I'm afraid I'm going to run out before this show is over. :)

I asked for one penny out of 100 for the next ten years to get the budget balanced so we then can work on the debt...Not asking for "balance the budget at all costs"...Talking about the future of the USA. All in Federal Government and Some state governments have recognition that the debt and obligations of entitlement programs and pension commitments must be revised as they are unsustainable...Nothing is being done beyond the pittance that is sequester...which has made the mother-ship VERY unhappy.

I too want AOPA to sell the jet and focus on GA piston pilot advocacy..or have a sub-section that is more assessable for me as a piston owner. I too want the new head of AOPA to stick to GA...and have a Mooney refurb for the Give-Away...I want more positive discussion on utilization of the existing GA fleet and discussion about elimination of 3rd class medical for all Private pilots. I want an association that cuts through bureaucratic red-tape and makes some of the avionics used in experimental's available to certified aircraft.

• Like 1

No, I didn't (miss the point) I AGREE with all the problems with AOPA you stated, but they are discussed again and again and again and again-regarding the issues with aviation related concerns. The money, jet etc. are THE areas that Paul B discusses because AOPA won't. They are a problem....

BUT THAT is NOT what ticks you and your wife off...or your wife and you off...AND SHE brought it to MooneySpace...Not a note on concerns with future of AvGas or FAA "picking the winner" there, or issues with medical etc....

No it wasn't "the issues" it was HER issues with one issue...Fuller exercising free speech. You say SS is "a long way off"...2035. 20 years....People like you that put off on our children this train wreck can OWN THIS. YOU and politicians and leaders and those that do not demand change in entitlement programs ARE THE PROBLEM with the #1 issue with our future and our children's future.

You are about the issues one side vs the other. I just want to see the government START fixing a monumental problem. That there is discussion about the largest economic burden of the Federal Government bothers me NOT in the least. It should be talked about and a fix began every morning noon and night.

Fulller doesnt have the right to free speech via AOPA, my man. No mor than I have the right to come on the intercom as a pilot for Mesa and declare women should stay at home and minorities shouldnt be able to vote. He is the leader of an organization that has a specific purpose, to advocate the threats to GA, let's ignore 100LL and pilot medical issues, and attack Social Security. 

Regarding Social Security, lets see, are you willing to send your Social Security check back uncashed when you get it?

Dude:

jetdriven, on 24 Jun 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:snapback.png

Its what angry old white guys do. Can't help it. Its the Fox News syndrome.

C'mon man. Is that all you have? And since this is the 5th or 6th comment about either the Tea Party or Fox News (default liberal cop-outs when you can't argue on merit), Fox News ratings triple that of CNN and MSNBC---combined, so you have to ask yourself. Are you a genius in a world of lemmings? Or are there really that many reasonable people watching Fox?

There is little the current White House, Congress or FAA are doing to benefit GA directly. This is the worst government in decades when it comes to fostering general aviation. It is 100% Part 121 driven. Next Gen is underfunded by almost a decade, not considering inflation...a monetary boondoggle. LSA is an abject failure. The current administration has been openly hostile towards corporate aviation. And allllllll of this will likely be supported by unreasonably high user fees, within only a few years. So to seem stunned or irritated when social issues become fair game for AOPA, is either naive or intentionally political. Whining about Fuller and political content is drool with issues this big and concerning. Following the money is unavoidable. Craigy is gone...we know this.

You voted for this government and now your solution to these pressing issues is to sterilize APOA to your political point of view. Then whine even more when somebody actually holds you to the carpet?

The current EPA and user fees will be GA's unraveling. Certainly not AOPA commentary on social media.

Why can't we all just get along?  None of us are going to influence anyone here with different political views than our own anyway.  Lets focus on LOP or ROP, IFR or VFR, bladders or reseal, speed or efficiency, or some of the other more interesting topics and leave this political BS for the talking heads on TV who, like politicians, to quote the famous philosopher, Sting, "seem like gameshow hosts to me". 

You, sir, are most definitely NOT an angry old white guy! :) 961411000.jpg

If they can laugh together, why can't we?

They can laugh because one truly is rich and the other can act that way for another 4 years.  After that 4 years he is set for life. Us poor slobs that are stuck paying for it can whine all we want but it wont do any good.

• Like 1

They can laugh because one truly is rich and the other can act that way for another 4 years.  After that 4 years he is set for life. Us poor slobs that are stuck paying for it can whine all we want but it wont do any good.

NOT poor. You have a Mooney MSE.

I can be hated on 3-blade prop thread or here...doesn't matter to me one bit. I don't hate the man or woman...I hate the politics.

• Like 1

NOT poor. You have a Mooney MSE.

I can be hated on 3-blade prop thread or here...doesn't matter to me one bit. I don't hate the man or woman...I hate the politics.

You hate the politics, not the man or woman, yet you ridicule someone because of the hyphen in their last name. WTF?   Scott, I know you well enough to know you're better than that.

Where can I get a hyphenated name. Is there some website or something? How much does it cost? Can I just start being

"Scott Mooney-Thompson...or Scott Thompson-Mooney? Or do I have to fill out forms and pay money? Regardless, they are way cool and I want one..."

C'mon Scott.   About that Social Security check.  Since you are in violent agreement with Craig Fuller on this one, are you going to refuse it?  Since entitlements are such the problem, what are you going to do? Cash it and bemoan those that "get a handout"?  

I joined AOPA to support a GA-centered action group, nothing more than that and nothing less.  Instead we get no action on 100LL, medicals, certification, etc while being told that Social Security is a threat to GA. Perhaps #100 on the list, but what a waste of resources. Why did you join?

I choose to have a little fun with a feminist. I don't like the hyphen. It has nothing to do with a birth name and everything about the perception of not submitting to her man in marriage. It's crap to me. I make fun of others in my family that do it as well. I believe 100% in equality for sexes and races...and success to those that earn it.

Regarding giving my check back. Last I checked I have had my earnings taken as well as my employers being directed to match for 34 years. Yet I fully understand that my benefit will be reduced and when I might draw on the benefit will be delayed. I didn't create the system, but HAVE earned a check for my contributions and those of my employer for work I completed since I was 16 and fried my first hamburger at a Hardee's....YET I would gladly take 50% of what I and my employers have actually paid in and go quietly off into the night...34 years of work without the opportunity to invest and see it accrue...on a PROMISE OF A BENEFIT AT THE END OF MY WORKING CAREER...FAT CHANCE OF THAT.

IS THAT A HATE CRIME? MAN, YOU NEED TO GET YOURSELF A THICKER SKIN IF YOU WANT TO DOLE IT OUT. FEEL FREE TO KEEP IT COMING BYRON, I MEAN KNIGHT IN WHITE ARMOR. KIND OF TRADITIONAL ISN'T IT...STANDING UP FOR YOUR WIFE? KIND OF LIKE THE TRADITION OF TAKING YOUR SPOUSES NAME IN MARRIAGE AND BECOMING ONE IN THE UNION OF MARRIAGE...TRADITION, SADLY LACKING IN THE USA, BUT AS I WAS TOLD IN ANOTHER THREAD...TIME DOESN'T STAND STILL...CHANGE IS CERTAIN.

SIGNED:

SCOTT MOONEY-THOMPSON

IS THAT A HATE CRIME? MAN, YOU NEED TO GET YOURSELF A THICKER SKIN IF YOU WANT TO DOLE IT OUT. FEEL FREE TO KEEP IT COMING BYRON, I MEAN KNIGHT IN WHITE ARMOR. KIND OF TRADITIONAL ISN'T IT...STANDING UP FOR YOUR WIFE? KIND OF LIKE THE TRADITION OF TAKING YOUR SPOUSES NAME IN MARRIAGE AND BECOMING ONE IN THE UNION OF MARRIAGE...TRADITION, SADLY LACKING IN THE USA, BUT AS I WAS TOLD IN ANOTHER THREAD...TIME DOESN'T STAND STILL...CHANGE IS CERTAIN.

SIGNED:

SCOTT MOONEY-THOMPSON

I'll take a wife who keeps her last name but makes the same money I do and flies her own plane. They don't all belong in the kitchen, Scott.  When's the last time your wife flew 600 NM while you slept? :rolleyes: Its pretty nice. I'm sure you have read about it in that glossy magazine AOPA sends you, right behind the article that a brand new G36 Bonanza is an "excellent value" after you subtract the 200K in bonus depreciation the first year.

• Like 1

Okay, I missed a lot of good stuff here.(I was drafting a 20 page motion for new trial that has 21 exhibits--this is WAY more fun). But let's get real: My next writing assignment is a Writ of Certiorari to the US Supreme Court that is on behalf of a gentleman who was injured on the job in Texas where Worker's Compensation Insurance companies promised, in exchange for the darling of the right wing "tort reform" that they would get "lifetime medical benefits". Guess what happens next? The comp carrier cut him off by hiring a doctor to say that his L5-S1 ruptured disc healed all by itself and his uninterrupted string of doctors visits would now become someone else's problem. 

Who's problem do you think they became? 

They became the tax payer's problem. Because of his work related injury, he can no longer work. He has sufficient credits to qualify for some measly income benefits (certainly not enough to have anything in common with anyone on this board).  The tax payer is picking up the tab on Mr. Caldera and all those like him in Texas. Medicare paid over 50k for his surgery when the Insurance Company of the State of Pennsylvania turned their back on him.  

Bottom line: when you talk about where the money is being spent and why, realize that Mr. Caldera is one of tens of thousands of people in just in the state of Texas that can no longer work 3 years after their work-related injury. 

Want another fun fact? For 20 years Texas has had a super majority Republican government that has never met an insurance company it didn't love.  

Think I'm full of it? Fact check me: Google "Caldera v. The Insurance Company of the State of Pennsylvania." And "never bring a knife to a gun fight."

I choose to have a little fun with a feminist. I don't like the hyphen. It has nothing to do with a birth name and everything about the perception of not submitting to her man in marriage. It's crap to me. I make fun of others in my family that do it as well. I believe 100% in equality for sexes and races...and success to those that earn it.

Regarding giving my check back. Last I checked I have had my earnings taken as well as my employers being directed to match for 34 years. Yet I fully understand that my benefit will be reduced and when I might draw on the benefit will be delayed. I didn't create the system, but HAVE earned a check for my contributions and those of my employer for work I completed since I was 16 and fried my first hamburger at a Hardee's....YET I would gladly take 50% of what I and my employers have actually paid in and go quietly off into the night...34 years of work without the opportunity to invest and see it accrue...on a PROMISE OF A BENEFIT AT THE END OF MY WORKING CAREER...FAT CHANCE OF THAT.

So what you are saying is that you earned your Social Security benefit but I didnt, and its my problem, and "I own it".  I get it.

NEXT...

TOO FUNNY. MY WIFE IS A SUCCESSFUL BANKER AND I COOK MOST OF MY MEALS AS BANKERS REALLY DON'T WORK 9-5 IN THE REAL WORLD...AT LEAST GOOD ONES. I CAN BRING WHATEVER GUN IS NEEDED TO THE FIGHT. AS A SAFETY CONSULTANT WORKING IN INSURANCE I KNOW THAT CLAIMANTS ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH AND ARE ALWAYS VICTIMS AND THE BIG BAD STATE OF TEXAS IS A WORRY AS THEY ACTUALLY HAVE A FUNCTIONING PRIVATE SECTOR-OIL THAT MAKES MANY NOT HAPPY.

EVERYBODY HAS AN AGENDA. LAST POST I WILL PM IF YOU WISH TO CONTINUE TO MAKE IT PERSONAL BYRON. WHY DON'T CHA ASK SOME MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT MY CHILDHOOD...I AM SURE THAT IS WHAT MADE ME THE OLD "HATER" THAT I AM. THAT COLLEGE ART TEACHER DAD WAS A SUPER CONSERVATIVE....NOT A HLD LIKE YOU...OR NOT?

St. Louis ATC conversation with pilots ...

St. Louis approach to United: "United 126 best forward speed to the marker, you're number one."

United 126 (male voice): "Roger, balls to the wall."

St. Louis approach to American: "American 4521, you're number two behind the United 737, follow him, cleared visual, best forward speed."

American 4521 (female voice): "Well I can't do balls to the wall but I can do wide open."

-Radio silence-

Unidentified Pilot (male voice): "Is American hiring?"

• Like 2