Keep non-aviation politics out of AOPA!

Does anyone follow AOPA's facebook page.  Both that page, and then cross posted by Craig Fuller, contained a political link regarding entitlement programs.

To limit this thread, I don't want to talk about your general opinion on this political issue, but rather the bigger issue of whether AOPA should be making political commentary outside of general aviation advocacy.  We, as members, give AOPA a pretty big megaphone, and honestly I only feel use of that megaphone is only authorized for aviation advocacy.  I get that greater issues with the government effect everyone, including aviators and the future of aviation, but going down that road is a slippery and divisive slope.  I also get that the majority of AOPA's audience probably leans a certain political direction, but majority isn't all, and we could discuss the racial, economic, educational, and gender demographics of the pilot population all day.  But I didn't join AOPA to join an entitlement reform advocacy org...

I always liked how AOPA magazine's election issue endorsed both Republican and Democratic candidates that were aviation friendly.  I think its important AOPA's partisanship should extend only to aviation issues.

Anyway, the point is, this Facebook post from AOPA really disturbed me, and then Craig Fuller went and re-posted it.  I thought maybe it was a social media intern run amock, but then someone went and even replied to the comments with the initials "CF".  Anyway, I emailed AOPA and commented on the facebook and hopefully more members will do the same. 

post-7976-0-38759700-1371739629_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Having just watched House of Cards and West Wing, I'm now an expert in this sort of thing....

The ONLY reason I can see is that maybe it's a form of political favor trading. Coming out for or against an non aviation related issue might help get some other aviation thing done? Dunno. If not that, then it's just stupid.

Becca, but you're missing the point. It is aviation related. When the govt wastes too much money on entitlement programs, it causes them to run out of money and then mandated spending cuts that affect GA.

Becca, but you're missing the point. It is aviation related. When the govt wastes too much money on entitlement programs, it causes them to run out of money and then mandated spending cuts that affect GA.

(from my post on BT)

But the Facebook post wasn't about those things. It was about preaching to the middle class that their medicare and SS is an "entitlement" and is somehow threatening aviation. Nevermind they are programs funded with payroll taxes. The Airport and Airways Trust Fund pays for GA, it is also a separate, funded program with taxes. One might argue, that hundreds of millions spent paving small airport runways to benefit 600K licensed pilots might be taking away from other government programs as well.

You're missing the point.  That argument could be extended to all federal policy, programs, budget and taxes.  They took aim at entitlement programs this week -- however, if AOPA extends its political interests to anything that effects the future of the federal government because the "bigger picture" impacts aviation, it becomes highly partisan.  You might personally agree with Craig Fuller's opinion on entitlement  stance on entitlement programs, you might not,  it is out of the scope of AOPA's mission and going in the wrong direction for a general aviation advocacy org.

How about AOPA focus on issues that directly threaten GA such as the impending demise of 100LL, user fees, and backing small airports.  And stay out of partisan talking points. You can say any dollar not spent on aviation is a "threat to aviation".  

Like any organization, it becomes like those government agencies you despise so much. The agency itself becomes the focus, they pay themselves lavishly, and give lip service to the members, yet do nothing but stir controversy and ask for more money. I get a magazine in the mail that proclaims a 1.2M$ Cessna Caravan and a 660K Beech Bonanza as an "excellent value", and Fuller gets paid nearly a million a year plus rides around in an AOPA owned Cessna Citation.  Then he tells me to lower my expectations. No wonder he is out. The EAA is in a similar situation.

• Like 1

I happen to agree with Becca. With a little stretching, you can make any issue "aviation related" Just because I may agree with his (or anyone else's) political views, I don't think it is appropriate for the "voice" of aviation to take a side on anything not very closely related to aviation. I also disagee with the view that anyone who disagrees should get out of AOPA. If I dropped every group that sometimes does not do what I want, I would not have a voice anywhere. 

• Like 4

Only problem with this topic is Craig's statements are DEAD on. Unless this country can learn to live within its means it will destroy its self. This is not a Left/Right issue this is a survival issue. Social security IS a Ponzi scheme. NO one every paid in enough to deserve what they get. It is just a way of buying vote with "other peoples money" Well we have run out of "OPM" and we are spending our childrens money and we borrowed it from China..

We, personal aviation, are seen by many as a frivilous way to spend money. If the ship starts to sink we, GA, will get thrown off first.

• Like 1

Only problem with this topic is Craig's statements are DEAD on. Unless this country can learn to live within its means it will destroy its self. This is not a Left/Right issue this is a survival issue. Social security IS a Ponzi scheme. NO one every paid in enough to deserve what they get. It is just a way of buying vote with "other peoples money" Well we have run out of "OPM" and we are spending our childrens money and we borrowed it from China..

We, personal aviation, are seen by many as a frivilous way to spend money. If the ship starts to sink we, GA, will get thrown off first.

So, RJ, if Craig makes an official AOPA statement regarding gun rights, or education, or border patrol, or our country's position in Afghanistan, or religion, and the particular statement is one that you personally happen to agree with, then you are good with him as the head of the AOPA - aviation organization using our aviation dollars-supported pilpit to make the statement?

Well somewhere someone supported the AOPA to advocate...aviation...who may not agree with his particular position, and someday he may support something that YOU do not support.

I am fully with you Becca on your offense.  I am not interested in having the AOPA support any political positions outside of GA whether or not I happen to agree with any one of the individual positions.

• Like 1

Do you think the upside down condition of our governments spending does not affect aviation?

Or do you simply stick your head in the sand when your political flavor fumbles?

• Like 1

Do you think the upside down condition of our governments spending does not affect aviation?

Or do you simply stick your head in the sand when your political flavor fumbles?

I stick my head in the sand when my political flavor fumbles.

• Like 1

You and Byron are flaming dems. You have the White House, the Senate, half your state and free birth control forever.......now you want AOPA? They are a political advocacy. Have you read Craig Fuller's bio? Are you aware of his political service and prominence? Lastly, are you aware of the catastrophic federal agency appointments the President will make, that will literally decimate GA? Finally, with Fuller on the outs, why wouldn't he take a swipe?

• Like 1

This groundswell has been going on a long time. We had an extensive MS thread that was largely negative. I would bump into Phil at Costco every now and again and rib him about the need for a new Citation Jet. Fuller is a cabinet Reganite. He has lost the battle, otherwise he would stick around. He knows what's about to happen to GA across the board. Liberal democratic politics are a jurassic loss for GA. Becca's points are whiny, back-door partisan and nit-picky. Nobody cares.

• Like 2

This groundswell has been going on a long time. We had an extensive MS thread that was largely negative. I would bump into Phil at Costco every now and again and rib him about the need for a new Citation Jet. Fuller is a cabinet Reganite. He has lost the battle, otherwise he would stick around. He knows what's about to happen to GA across the board. Liberal democratic politics are a jurassic loss for GA. Becca's points are whiny, back-door partisan and nit-picky. Nobody cares.

Can any one advice me on how to hide posts by a user?

• Like 1

This is an affliction many liberals have. They say it's not about politics, then promote and solicit multiple points of view, only to be stunned they actually exist. The political orientation of the FB commentary called you to action, Becca. It is the genesis of your discussion.

• Like 1