Cheap Prop Blur Fix

mulro767

Rather than spending the ridiculous $79 for the GoPro aviation filter made by NFlightCam, I decided to make my own.  I ordered a .6 neutral density filter sheet from Amazon for $7 and simply cut a round piece that fits inside the waterproof case in front of the lens. If you want to completely eliminate the prop (blur the prop) and see what the naked eye sees, simply cut two pieces and place in front of lens, or order a 1.5 ND filter.  I also added a the filter inside my iPhone case in front of the lens.  Works great there too!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B73OL4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Neutral-Density-Lighting-Filter/dp/B000B73OM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371733635&sr=8-1&keywords=20x24+1.2+neutral+density+filter

• Like 2

That is exactly what I use on my GoPro Hero2 -- the only difference being that I use a skeleton housing and place 2 little circular discs I cutout between the camera and the housing.

Here is a video I made during a flight lesson last year with it:

• 2 weeks later...

Also cut a small piece and taped inside of iPhone 4S case.  Had to use two back to back to eliminate the bending prop effect.  Works great!  But you have to take back out f you plan to use the camera with a flash or in dark light.

• 7 months later...

Thanks Mulro767!!!!

I just bought a GoPro and I knew someone must have cracked the code with the filters.  The proof is in seeing your demo, so I just ordered my stuff online.  I'm hoping to post a "before" and "after" example too, soon

Cheers!

Yann

1963M20D/C