Engine Break-in

markm20b

Very good video, Mark. Thanks for sharing.

I am not sure "squared" has much to do with break-in, although it does allow easy % power calculations.  We have an FI engine so we could break it in WOT LOP and control power with FF, yours is a C model, so you have to control % power with MP.  Oversquare settings allow more cylinder pressure for a given power setting.

Varying the RPM from 2200-2700 allows the peak power pulse to occur in different places, during the stroke, on the cylinder wall, breaking in the entire cylinder barrel.  We changed RPM every 15-30 minutes in that range to allow it to do so.

I have a friend with a M20G (no cowl flaps) and if he can keep it under 400 CHT in cruise he is doing good. It has ran 1600 hours like that so I suppose O-360s tolerate higher CHT pretty well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments.  I have been changing my RPM every 50 minutes or so.  I'll try changing it a bit more on the next few flights.  The GoPro does not do the NW justice.  I'm flying between the Coast Range and the Cascades.  I could clearly see Mt. Rainer, St. Helens, Adams, Hood, Jefferson, and the Three Sisters.  The GoPro just flattens everything out though.

• 2 months later...

Nice video! It's great to see another B model being kept in the air. I also like how you have your original tail number. I was wondering if you tended to have those hotter CHT temps with your old engine too? I finally sealed a bunch of gaps in the doghouse and the temps went down about 10-20 degs, though they still get up to 440 or so on climb out. I hate that about the B model!

Thanks for the comments.  I have been changing my RPM every 50 minutes or so.  I'll try changing it a bit more on the next few flights.  The GoPro does not do the NW justice.  I'm flying between the Coast Range and the Cascades.  I could clearly see Mt. Rainer, St. Helens, Adams, Hood, Jefferson, and the Three Sisters.  The GoPro just flattens everything out though.

but still a great scenary...

Oscar