New 6 pack instrument cluster for vintage Mooney's

I finally finished the field approval for the Mitchell 6 pack instrument cluster today for the vintage Mooneys. This is a great option for well under $1000. Contact me for a parts list and a copy of the FAA 337 if you'd like another option for your older Mooney.

David

post-7497-0-49696900-1371607346_thumb.jp

• Like 3

The total cost for the cluster including the probes was $775. Add some misc for the installation and it's a good price. I breifly glanced at the Sigma Tek gauges and their price sheet. I think the Mitchell price is much better. As far as how they compare in function, I have no idea. I didn't know Sigma Tek was making something similar. Maybe someone will get a quote from them for the cluster and probes then post it here to compare.

Thanks,

David

• Like 1

I take it that you haven't Tried the Insight G1 yet.... I was wondering how the CHT's  on the Mitchell CHT six pack and Insight  G1 CHT's compare ( assuming that Mithcell uses a single CHT probe on Cyl #3). 

You Panel looks nice. How Light is it compare to aluminum ?

The G1 CHT is much more responsive than the single Mitchell CHT. I doubt I even pay much attention to the single CHT. I was looking for an linexpensive option to replace the 6 pack and didn't want to spend the money for the JPI. Frankly, the older Mooney's just aren't worth enough to warrant that expense.
The panel is actually aluminum with a carbon fiber vinyl overlay. I wasn't able to find the same material that was on my left panel, so I chose to use the carbon fiber vinyl. I'll see how well it holds up.
David

... Frankly, the older Mooney's just aren't worth enough to warrant that expense.
I've never understood this mentality. If you find an aircraft that scratches your itch, and you want to cherry it out, you should do that. It doesn't matter if it's a $12k Cessna 120 or $500k Acclaim it should not matter. What makes a $20,000 RV7 kit turn into a $90k aircraft? Fit/finish, avionics, interior and engine/prop. I know it may be hard form some on this forum but believe it but some folks flying the "older Mooney's" are doing so because we prefer them. Okay... I feel better now. :)
  • Like 3

I've never understood this mentality. If you find an aircraft that scratches your itch, and you want to cherry it out, you should do that. It doesn't matter if it's a $12k Cessna 120 or $500k Acclaim it should not matter. What makes a $20,000 RV7 kit turn into a $90k aircraft? Fit/finish, avionics, interior and engine/prop. I know it may be hard form some on this forum but believe it but some folks flying the "older Mooney's" are doing so because we prefer them. Okay... I feel better now. :)

that makes sense if you're keeping the plane forever, but if you plan to sell down the road you'll recoup less on an older plane IMO.

Older Mooney's are never going to appreciate substantially in value. Even if I were to keep my C model for a very long time, large investments like a $5500 JPI just don't make sense and give me any really appreciable sense of satisfaction that I spent money well. That's a lot of gas money that can be used flying. There's only one item on my dream list and that's an autopilot that has heading and altitude hold.

Ok, I feel better now :)

David

• Like 2

Thankfully, our C had a very nice a/p already installed when we bought it. One of the previous owners spent a small fortune on equipment making this plane his baby. I don't think he had resale value in mind. He probably just wanted all the capability. Right now I'd rather spend money on gas than glass.

• Like 1

Older Mooney's are never going to appreciate substantially in value. Even if I were to keep my C model for a very long time, large investments like a $5500 JPI just don't make sense and give me any really appreciable sense of satisfaction that I spent money well. That's a lot of gas money that can be used flying. There's only one item on my dream list and that's an autopilot that has heading and altitude hold.

Ok, I feel better now :)

David

I hear you, but I am somewhere between BIG TEX Gary and you David. I like your updates, but just a little more bling to make her sing. I wish Brittain would get the altitude hold done already so I too can realize your dream with our Brittain system. Loving the Accu-Flite system.
  • Like 1

The nice thing is that we all have different options and choices we can make. This is just another reasonable option for those who would like something functional and relatively inexpensive. David
Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I love your panel. Hell, I opted to have my engine cluster overhauled for $500 instead of having a $5500 EDM930 installed. But I'm also sending my plane to Aero Comfort next month for a $10k interior. So I'm picking where I speed my dollars, I just have problems with not doing something because you'll not recoup the investment. If homeowners took that approach, no one would ever have pools installed.

Sabremech, do these fuel gauges use the original fuel senders inside the tanks or did you install new ones, dedicated to the Mitchell gauges? Both my tanks were resealed during the last two years, but nothing changed wrt my fuel gauges being themselves - indicating all over the place. apparently, the instruments shop did have a look at my senders and even tried to calibrate them, but without success. It seems that the problem lies with the sender units and I understand that they are sealed units which can't be opened up and fixed?

Although I do have a very accurately calibrated dipstick and a just as accurate fuel flow on my JPI EDM700, I find it extremely annoying to have fuel gauges that are not working properly.

Even though highly unlikely, but should an inflight leak occur, I will have no way to determine this.

Sabremech, do these fuel gauges use the original fuel senders inside the tanks or did you install new ones, dedicated to the Mitchell gauges? Both my tanks were resealed during the last two years, but nothing changed wrt my fuel gauges being themselves - indicating all over the place. apparently, the instruments shop did have a look at my senders and even tried to calibrate them, but without success. It seems that the problem lies with the sender units and I understand that they are sealed units which can't be opened up and fixed?

Although I do have a very accurately calibrated dipstick and a just as accurate fuel flow on my JPI EDM700, I find it extremely annoying to have fuel gauges that are not working properly.

Even though highly unlikely, but should an inflight leak occur, I will have no way to determine this.

you just need to select your inflight music to coordinate to the bouncing...kind of like the old boom box/tape deck analog pulses...

seriously I am a fuel stick fuel computer guy too my tanks do read empty accurately...all I need. yes, it is annoying. i have not heard of a fix...

Hi Lood,

I used the original fuel sending units with my Mitchell gauges. Mine are the 0-30 Ohm sending units. Mitchell does make a 10-180 Ohm gauge and sending units. If you do this cluster gauge change, I'd seriously consider getting the 10-180 Ohm gauges and sending units. They will be more accurate and you'll have all new units  to start off with.

Mine work, but maybe I'm just the lucky one for now. I will most likely swap to the 10-180 units if one of my sending units act up.

David

According to a recent MAPA discussion, " in short body models they are located just forward of the aft seat cushion. You will need to remove the panel/carpeting by the door to get to them. Defuel the wing and remove 5 small screws and it comes right out."

We are in the process of troubleshooting one of our fuel gauges.  We were advised to trace and test the wire to the sender, as this is more likely to be the problem than the sender itself.

• Like 1