Portable ADS-B Solutions -- Moment of Truth!

Did you see it?

If yes, how accurate was the +5???

Best regards,

-a-

Oh I saw him. He started off 600' feet above, descended to 500' (the altitude the picture is showing) and then I think he saw me and leveled off. When he passed by he then continue to descend. I think he was headed into Brandywine.

• Like 1

Who wants the old HSI and paper plates.....?

We have come a long way in a very short amount of time...

-a-

Go back a few years and read some comments on this site. You will find many that said that the government won't get it right and that the program will be a decade behind schedule due to bureaucratic incompetence. 

I can't believe you are bothering to take screen captures of traffic alerts  :o 

...shouldn't you be focus avoiding the traffic

Has anyone bought either the FreeFlight or Aspen version of their new ADS-B hardware. Would like to get my out solution figured out this winter. Another close one yesterday.

• Like 1

Marauder

Impressive pictures. Is there some sort of horizontal or vertical guidance for when doing an approach?. I also noticed that the map showed on final on a 293deg ground course but the text on the bottom of the picture indicates 346deg.

José

José -- the 346 degree course was the direct course to the airport from the flight plan on Garmin Pilot. I was south of the airport and put the airport into Garmin Pilot's flight plan to get it to load up the approach binder for me to select the chart.

I can't believe you are bothering to take screen captures of traffic alerts :o ...shouldn't you be focus avoiding the traffic
I was actually flying a fully coupled approach and monitoring the approach when the warning popped up. I let it stay coupled and began looking for the traffic. Once I acquired him, I saw he leveled off and actually turned a bit more north because he saw me. What the picture doesn't show is how far he was laterally. The resolution was set for 2nm and he was a good quarter mile off and turning further away. If he hadn't turned, I would have switched from missiles to guns. :)

So on these tablet applications there is no TOD (Top Of Descent) or VSR (Vertical Speed Required) or any sort of vertical guidance. Is that right?. I found vertical guidance to be essential on high performance airplanes. Otherwise you may end up over speeding or diving on your approach to the rwy. What puzzle me is that the portable and panel mounted Garmins have it but not the tablets applications. I think they should add this function, I use it on every flight.

José 

• Like 1

So on these tablet applications there is no TOD (Top Of Descent) or VSR (Vertical Speed Required) or any sort of vertical guidance. Is that right?. I found vertical guidance to be essential on high performance airplanes. Otherwise you may end up over speeding or diving on your approach to the rwy. What puzzle me is that the portable and panel mounted Garmins have it but not the tablets applications. I think they should add this function, I use it on every flight.

José

I used the features as well on the certified boxes. Either the tablets have not caught up or they never will by intent.

Another interesting thing I noted. On Garmin Pilot, you do not see the approach waypoints on the map. On ForeFlight, they allow you to overlay the approach plate on the map with georeferencing and on WingX, they put the actual approach waypoints on the map.

Since they are not certified, I guess the decision is up to them.

So on these tablet applications there is no TOD (Top Of Descent) or VSR (Vertical Speed Required) or any sort of vertical guidance. Is that right?. I found vertical guidance to be essential on high performance airplanes. Otherwise you may end up over speeding or diving on your approach to the rwy. What puzzle me is that the portable and panel mounted Garmins have it but not the tablets applications. I think they should add this function, I use it on every flight. José
I wholeheartedly agree they should have VSR. If you are a ForeFlight subscriber, please email and suggest the idea. They are extremely good at listening to their subscribers. team@foreflight.com

So on these tablet applications there is no TOD (Top Of Descent) or VSR (Vertical Speed Required) or any sort of vertical guidance. Is that right?. I found vertical guidance to be essential on high performance airplanes. Otherwise you may end up over speeding or diving on your approach to the rwy. What puzzle me is that the portable and panel mounted Garmins have it but not the tablets applications. I think they should add this function, I use it on every flight.

José

WingX has it and I liked it a lot! I no longer use WingX because I'm in the all Garmin cool aid club now but it is a very good app.

• Like 1

On the Foreflight Pilot's Manual there is a warning on pages 156 and 159 about traffic relative altitude indication. Since all traffic altitude (including ADS-B out) is reported as pressure altitude and the Foreflight uses GPS altitude there could be an error of several hundred feet on the indicated altitude. Above FL200 this error could be +1,000ft. The traffic may be indicated below when is actually above. Be aware of this and restrain from any altitude changes for avoiding traffic. The relative altitude discrepancy does not occur in conventional TAS systems since they all use onboard barometric pressure altitude instead of GPS altitude.

José 

Has anyone bought either the FreeFlight or Aspen version of their new ADS-B hardware. Would like to get my out solution figured out this winter. Another close one yesterday.

Marauder,

Im back looking at the Freeflight ranger, which would integrate into my equipment and wing-x ( not Foreflight) as I heard freeflight just got their traffic resolver up and running last week! which will resolve existing traffic systems through the ranger box. Don't think I'll get traffic trend data though which seems to be locked up by Garmin with a gdl 88 and GTN purchase for a permanent solution. It's impressive that you have an "in" solution without an out solution using your portable Garmin device.