Trailering a disassembled Mooney

Kwixdraw

There were pictures on eBay about six months ago of a E model mooney in Idaho on a 16 or 18ft car trailer. He had hauled it from California to Idaho. Engine and prop were on it but the tail section had been removed and was in the pickup bed. It looked a little too wide a load for my liking but he said he had no problems bringing it home.

There are a couple options, depending on what kind of trailer is used as well as the supporting tools.  I've heard several experienced folks say it is simpler to remove the tailcone and leave the cabin attached to the wing.  Mooney has a special trailer that carries the wing in a cradle above the fuselage/tailcone and the empennage separately.  

I've thought long and hard over the best way to transport a mooney over roads and I firmly think that removing the wing is the best way. Drilling out the tailcone is not only risky but is a major structural piece. The wing is bolted on with 22 bolts if I remember right and fits together with a couple thousands of an inch precision. In my opinion the only way to go

I don't have any pics, unfortunately.  I should've taken some when I saw Mooney factory employees disassemble an Ovation up here 6 years ago.  

IMO, the tailcone is not too awful.  There are 5 discrete locations inside the skin with tension bolt connections (8 bolts total) and ~100 rivets that must be drilled out at the skin joint and on the baggage floor.  There are control and wiring connections inside the tailcone too, of course, but I think it might ultimately be easier than de-mating the wing + systems.

Search for photos on the Internet...

I have seen this method done at an MSC and on the Internet as well. They used a big flat trailer and a fair amount of lumber as supports.

It is not for the faint of heart or ammatures....

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...

Hey thanks for all the replies folks. I was internet deficient for a while and was not able to keep tabs on you all. I will do some calculating and see if I can do it similar to Don Maxwell but on a 23 foot car/utility trailer. That will be a long week on the road I bet.

Saw a '66 on a trailer today....Met them in Iowa City. Was going to buy a flap, but took a pass on it. The plane was gear-upped in CA and he was bringing it back from Idaho...same plane? The wing was still attached to fusalage. Rear of cabin and tail in another section. Nice leather interior...and paint. Guy in CA was drinking and had the gear up...New owner plans to re-build and fly. Gear-up was light damage. Unfortunately in transport there was damage to a wing-tip and elevator...Not by the new owner. Shuld have taken a couple of photos. Trailered very well.