Oxymizer recommendations, comfort and effectiveness over cost

Here are the two types I have seen so far!  Looking for any personal recommendations of what you like best and where do you recommend I get them?   Any Pros or Cons for either of the following?  I have the mustache style now and it is everything but comfortable and easy to deal with in the cabin for both myself and the passengers!

The Pendant Style Oxymizer features a close-coupled reservoir that fills with 20 ml of expired air at the initial phase of expiration, which is enriched or replaced with oxygen during the remainder of expiration.  Pilot's choice for comfort and economy.

The Original Oxymizer, or mustache style, contains an oxygen-conserving reservoir in the face piece, with soft nasal prongs that offer maximum comfort.  It also stores oxygen in a reservoir during exhalation and delivers a bolus of 100% oxygen upon the next inhalation.

Thanks in advance

Mountain High sells an electronic pulse demand system (EDS).

http://mhoxygen.com/portable-pulse-demand

EDS automatically compensates for altitude, delivers a calibrated pulse of O2 and the beginning of the inhalation cycle. More efficient as the O2 goes deep into the lungs (so they say), and uses some 1/5 of the O2. It is pricey, around $600 for just the box, but it is sure does work well. Uses a plain cannula (no bag, or mustache thingy). 

EDS is in wide use  by glider pilots, mountain climbers etc.

bumper 

I'm preparing to launch an aviation oxygen company using medical suppliers (and priced accordingly- no aviation premium).  I'm sorry to say I don't have an oxymizer solution coming any time soon, but it's on my list down the road.  I believe the products are available from wholesalers- I just don't have a source yet.

I'm assuming you have on board oxygen on your rocket.  Based on the research I've done, both the pendant and the mustashe solutions work- it's all personal preference.  Whoever you order from, make sure whatever they send you is plug and play with your on board system.

The MH EDS system is a more challenging question due primarilly to cost.  I have a mountain high EDS system and I really like it.  The MH system makes things very easy in that the system auto adjusts for altitude changes- it's idiot proof (so perfect for me).  I have the EDS attached to the ceiling interior of my plane giving easy access to O2 at all times which is why I added the EDS.  I found a used unit and bought it for ~half price, but they don't show up very often.  The EDS is definately a luxury solution and only you can evalute whether it's worth the cost.  If you decide to go the EDS route give them a call- they'll walk you through everything you need.  In addition to the box, you'll also need a step down regulator to drop the EDS input puressure to 25 PSI.  Most oxygen systems operate at 50 PSI. 

If I were in your shoes, the solution would come down to how much I was flying.  If you're flying at oxygen altitudes very little, then it doesn't really matter and you wouldn't have posted here.  If you're flying a lot, then go with the EDS- the MH unit will save you a lot of oxygen and you're unlikley to need costly FBO fill-ups.  If you're somewhere in the middle go with an oximizer unless you want the luxury of the EDS solution.  I suspect you've already made this decision.

Shameless sales pitch- regardless of which camp you're in, if you're looking into an oxygen transfilling system (for your on board or portable system) or a portable backup for the built in system we should talk.

Scott

• Like 1

Shameless sales pitch- regardless of which camp you're in, if you're looking into an oxygen transfilling system (for your on board or portable system) or a portable backup for the built in system we should talk. Scott
Give us details Scott. I don't fly flight levels, but do carry a portable system for night flight and when I do need to go higher. Would like an easy way to get this bottle filled.

Give us details Scott. I don't fly flight levels, but do carry a portable system for night flight and when I do need to go higher. Would like an easy way to get this bottle filled.

Thanks for your interest.  I'm working through the details right now and I anticipate launching a website in mid June as my real job has me very busy between now and then.

The transfilling system I'm going to sell is very similar to solutions offered by other aviation retailers.  Essentially it's a system that allows you to use one or more large O2 cylinders to fill smaller portable or on board systems.  Mike Caban has done a great write-up of a transfilling system and how it works here: http://csobeech.com/Oxygen-Fill-System.html.  I'm sorry to say it's not an inexpensive solution to filling up your own cylinders, but compared to buying fills at the FBO it's cheap.  If you're not using a lot of oxygen, you may be better off getting fills at a welding supply house.  I keep one tank in the plane full and when it's empty, I rotate a new cylinder into the plane.  However, if I'm going to start selling the transfiller I'll have that setup in my hanger.  If you stop by I'll fill your portable tank ;).

I don't have a price to share at this point on the transfilling system, but I'll give you a good example of what I found.  I work in healthcare finance and I couldn't believe the prices the aviation retailers were charging for cylinders.  I wanted a 22CF oxygen cylinder for my own personal use.  Instead of paying ~$180+ for that cylinder, I'll be selling that same tank ~$90.  The key here is that is has the same valve that tank from "aviation" retailers and it's compatible with aviation regulators.  I use my tank from my supplier with a regulator purchased from Mountain High.  If you don't want the gauge (if, for example, your regulator has a gauge), then I can sell the same tank for ~$70.  There are certainly cheaper options with used cylinders, but for a new cylinder the pricing is very competitive.

I'll definately be in touch with my fellow pilots with details.  We all have to save as much $ as possible for avgas!

Scott

Not to hijack this thread too much; we need more cooperative O2 filling, as the big O2 tanks are expensive. As I have posted before, I am hangared at RBD. I have (and will) fill your tank free. Just call and we will set up a date and time. If I get too many takers, I might have to resort to accepting $10 donations for a fill. 

214 207-6744

I am looking for a good buy on a dual Mountain High, just missed one on Ebay this week! 

Also looking for the filling components necessary to fill my Rocket from tanks.  I use a significant # of tanks at my plant and it would no trouble to take one or two to the hanger.  I would also participate in cooperative O2 filling.  I am based out of 5T6 Dona Anna County (about 10 miles from El Paso TX)

Let me know,

Lacee

As to filling your on-board tank, I would get the fitting to match the valve on your plane and a 2 foot or so flexible line from Aerox or Mountain High. They will know what the fitting is. Get the fitting for your supply tank(s) from your local welding supply. Get a gauge from almost anywhere (welding supply, etc.), and the copper tubing and brass fittings from Home Depot. In aviation terms, these will be miniscule costs.

I don't know what kind of use you have at your plant, but I assume it isn't necessary to have fully charged tanks there. Ordinarily I would want 2 tanks and cascade them filling your plane. However, if it is not too much trouble hauling the tanks back and forth, you might snitch a recently filled one, take it to the hangar and use it till the pressure drops to 1300 psi or so, then take it back and let the plant use the rest of it.