Mooney M20J with all LED exterior lighting.

I love the rear-facing nav light on the wingtip. Although my only gripe is the single Whelen "blink" isn't as cool looking as AeroLEDs' double flash strobe rate. Either way, less draw and less weight.

I’m looking at both sets of nav lights. The triple flash of the AeroLeds would be nice but videos of them they seem really dim compared to the Whelen flash. Have you noticed that or is it just videos I’ve seen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/8/2017 at 1:06 PM, Raptor05121 said:

I love the rear-facing nav light on the wingtip. Although my only gripe is the single Whelen "blink" isn't as cool looking as AeroLEDs' double flash strobe rate. Either way, less draw and less weight.

Gulfstream’s new G650 has the single “longer” blink on the wingtip lights and so does the Pilatus PC-12 and many other high end planes. I’m not saying that had an influence on my purchase buuuuuuut at night you probably can’t tell what I am in the dark.

I just did a second night flight with these long blink LEDs.  A cirrus saw me at 6 miles no issue.  He also had long blink LEDs and was easy to pick out at my 2 o’clock - moreso than the B737 climbing out 6 miles at my 2 o’clock.  So far I am happy with them.  They do induce a small bit of radio (alternator)  noise perceptible on the ground.  Probably the same or less than the old strobes.  I never traced the grounds back to see where they terminated but it’s the original wiring so I’m thinking it’s not back to the battery and creating a little ground loop.  Nothing bothersome however. 

• 7 months later...
On 12/8/2017 at 4:22 PM, bradp said:

Finally got around to the other light installation.  Ready for logbook entry now.  This vid has a bit more detail on the installation (easy) and shows the hole pattern on the old light fixture. 

https://youtu.be/ofJ9BcozXIU

Brad. 

I just bought a set of the 600s as well. But I think from memory that I have Rivnuts in the wingtip but they stick out from the skin slightly and I do not think that the backplate for the Whelens has a recess for those to fit....so the question I have for you is what hardware did you attach the baseplate to the wingtip with and how did you do that?

thanks

byron

18 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I just bought a set of the 600s as well. But I think from memory that I have Rivnuts in the wingtip but they stick out from the skin slightly and I do not think that the backplate for the Whelens has a recess for those to fit....so the question I have for you is what hardware did you attach the baseplate to the wingtip with and how did you do that?

thanks

byron

You happened to catch me in the hangar Byron. I have flush mounted nut plates. 

image.jpg

If you have rivnuts that stick out you could drill out the screw holes to the OD rivnut size and mount with a crew and washer... there may be just enough room created between the light assy flange and the the baseplate flange. 

OK and to top it all off it looks like on my right wing tip I have the Whelen a650 flasher and flush mounted nut plates so I think we’re OK there but what about the Hoskins unit on the other side wonder what it has

Ok progress. I managed to mount the RH side unit. The bolt pattern matches the A650 Whelen unit but a big issue became apparent screwing it down covers up the “Mooney 201” wingtip badge. Moving it forward to clear requires redrilling and countersinking the baseplate. But the rear screw impinges on the raised end of the baseplate so there are limits. Then the 3 mounting screws are so far back that the front of the unit doesn’t contact the end rib anymore, partly because it’s not flat. It’s bowed outward slightly. So another screw and hole in the front of the plate. And a screw and washer and nut to hold that down and a 28” extension and luckily was able to get a socket on the nut. Nothing comes easy with my plane. 

E5BFCA44-E5AD-4E37-8D5E-690B0F5BF1DC.jpeg

0EFC3C30-F05C-4D9C-AA43-E617D8937BFD.jpeg

10F5F25D-5017-4164-A8EA-E41E958F5768.jpeg

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1