Mooney M20J with all LED exterior lighting.

Not sure if I mentioned this but the LED strobes do produce a slight interference in my headset. I've used Bose and Lightspeed. You can literally hear them flashing. Sounds like a very mild high freq beep everytime they flash. But it doesn't bother me but I could see it might bother some more discerning ears. 

Anyone else experiencing this?

16 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

Not sure if I mentioned this but the LED strobes do produce a slight interference in my headset. I've used Bose and Lightspeed. You can literally hear them flashing. Sounds like a very mild high freq beep everytime they flash. But it doesn't bother me but I could see it might bother some more discerning ears. 

Strobes don't, but I get a slight noise w/ my pulse landing/taxi light when in pulse mode.

-Tom

35 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

Nope, but I'm not synced, are you?

44 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

Yes, my wingtips are synch'd but I also hear it, albeit less pronounced, when the belly light flashes too.

It's probably the poor quality of the person who did the installation. :D A poor ground or loose power connection could cause this.

1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Or perhaps the installer disrupted a wire when they were running all those sync wires. emoji2.png

Sorry Steve. My payback for you convincing me at Oshkosh on dropping $1,500 on light bulbs. At least they are shiny. emoji15.png

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Next time I'll convince you to buy 4 Sunspots.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Yes, but my old Whelen rotating belly beacon did it, too, and louder. The Whelen LED belly strobe is not as noticeable. No wingtip LEDs yet, been spending miney fixing the house instead of the plane this year. Plumbing sucks!

• 11 months later...

Digging up an old thread - I just installed a left sided Orion 600 anticollision light from Whelen. It’s for a straight wing (sawed off) 1977 Mooney 20J but the footprint for all the vintage Moonies should be the same. The right is on back order and should be here early next week.   It took me an hour with planning how I wanted to make the connections.  Fortunately the Nav and Strobe functions share a common ground (unlike the power supply for the outgoing strobe that grounds to the wing rib).  These should have a better ground path and thus be quieter in the radios, but I’ll do a full run down before putting the plane back in service.   I’m going to save about a pound putting my UL above the 1000# magic number.  

Theres an STC for C up to F, but these are TSOd - so installed as a minor mod with a signature from my IAs/A&P.  Can avoid the STC issues and the 337s all together. 

A thank you to @LANCECASPER for helping me with the Spruce purchase.  Thanks Lance!

• Thanks 1

Digging up an old thread - I just installed a left sided Orion 600 anticollision light from Whelen. It’s for a straight wing (sawed off) 1977 Mooney 20J but the footprint for all the vintage Moonies should be the same. The right is on back order and should be here early next week.   It took me an hour with planning how I wanted to make the connections.  Fortunately the Nav and Strobe functions share a common ground (unlike the power supply for the outgoing strobe that grounds to the wing rib).  These should have a better ground path and thus be quieter in the radios, but I’ll do a full run down before putting the plane back in service.   I’m going to save about a pound putting my UL above the 1000# magic number.  

Theres an STC for C up to F, but these are TSOd - so installed as a minor mod with a signature from my IAs/A&P.  Can avoid the STC issues and the 337s all together. 
A thank you to [mention=8122]LANCECASPER[/mention] for helping me with the Spruce purchase.  Thanks Lance!

Don’t let NotarPilot know you bought these. He’ll convince you that you’ll need the LED taillight as well. I’m still impressed with these units.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Anyone calculate the amount of power savings going full LED for exterior lights? I just had the Whelen landing light installed. Curious how much more is saved going all LED.
7.0A for nav lights. 16A for the landing light. Not sure the savings on strobes or beacon.
These are savings numbers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1