Stratus Disappointment

I have an Angel Flight scheduled for Tuesday (KGKJ-KLOZ-KOSU-KGKJ), I'm planning on putting my Stratus 2 to the test for the first time along side my trusty GDL 69/XM weather/MX20, the KGKJ-KLOZ leg will take me through an area that doesn't have good ADS-B coverage according to their map so we'll see what happens.

I did do this flight today, the Stratus 2 worked even better then I expected, especially the ADS-B weather, both my destination's (KLOZ and KGKJ) textual METARS updated 9-10 minutes before XM Weather did, on most of the trip it was showing at least some traffic, most of it was jet traffic of course.

post-8897-0-79055600-1368571795_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-53166700-1368571822_thumb.jp

post-8897-0-24209900-1368571840_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Actually, that's the direction the traffic is moving, the number above the traffic is altitude above or below my altitude.

What altitude reference for your own aircraft does Stratus use, barometric or GPS. TCAS always use barometric altitude since all traffic report baro altitude. At 10,000 feet there could be as much as 1,000 feet between the two. This is important since this difference can mislead you on traffic relative altitude.

I noticed on the ADI display that the left speed tape shows ground speed instead of IAS. Be careful and never use this for landing or you may bounce and overshoot your landing. I also noticed that the right tape indicates GPS altitude instead of corrected baro altitude. All ATC assigned altitudes are baro reference so never use this one. 

José

What altitude reference for your own aircraft does Stratus use, barometric or GPS. TCAS always use barometric altitude since all traffic report baro altitude. At 10,000 feet there could be as much as 1,000 feet between the two. This is important since this difference can mislead you on traffic relative altitude.

I noticed on the ADI display that the left speed tape shows ground speed instead of IAS. Be careful and never use this for landing or you may bounce and overshoot your landing. I also noticed that the right tape indicates GPS altitude instead of corrected baro altitude. All ATC assigned altitudes are baro reference so never use this one. 

José

That's an intriguing question about the barometric or GPS altitude on the traffic display.  If the GPS altitude is what's reported then I would assume there would be a big problem.  However, it's the relative altitude, meanting the target's GPS altitude versus your GPS altitude, then I wouldn't think the variation between GPS and baro altitude would be that significant.  I would assume the ADSB system compares GPS altitude to GPS altitude to compute the relative altitude of the traffic.

I don't have a clue what the right answer is, but I really hope I'm right.  If I'm wrong then I need to rethink my plan to add a GDL39 and an ADSB transponder for traffic.

Scott

That's an intriguing question about the barometric or GPS altitude on the traffic display.  If the GPS altitude is what's reported then I would assume there would be a big problem.  However, it's the relative altitude, meanting the target's GPS altitude versus your GPS altitude, then I wouldn't think the variation between GPS and baro altitude would be that significant.  I would assume the ADSB system compares GPS altitude to GPS altitude to compute the relative altitude of the traffic.

I don't have a clue what the right answer is, but I really hope I'm right.  If I'm wrong then I need to rethink my plan to add a GDL39 and an ADSB transponder for traffic.

Scott

TCAS, ADS-B, TIS and ATC all use baro altitude no GPS altitude. On an ADS-B or Mode C out transponder (either 1090 or 978 MHz) all reported altitude data comes from a barometric altitude encoder. This normalize the system and insure that everybody is on the same reference.

José

José

I agree with your caution, I would only use it as a last resort.

Thanks John,

I confused the XM plot and the topic of the post...

I saw (what looks like wind barbs) them all pointing in the same direction, on the edge of the radar depiction and assumed the rest...

Best regards,

-a-

Those arrows are how the MX20 depicts airport METARS (VFR MVFR IFR) by color.

Those are an improvement over what wingX is showing with ADSB...

Things continue to improve over time.

We're going to need a simple portable ADSB out box...

José, is that possible? Simple ADSB out box so my ADSB in and WingX will show all traffic near by?

Best regards,

-a-

Those are an improvement over what wingX is showing with ADSB...

Things continue to improve over time.

We're going to need a simple portable ADSB out box...

José, is that possible? Simple ADSB out box so my ADSB in and WingX will show all traffic near by?

Best regards,

-a-

Anything that transmit over several miles conveying flight critical parameters for collision avoidance would need to be FAA approved. Furthermore it would need to be connected to an FAA approved WAAS GPS and encoding altimeter. Also an external antenna would be required if you want this work beyond 10nm.

José 

Thanks José for the usual deep technical detail!

Thanks Jim for the advanced knowledge of available technology!

Thanks Bret for keeping me feeling like I haven't been left far behind...

You guys are the best!

Now....

Stratus dissapointment, does the stratus have the ADSB-out on their device???

Best regards,

-a-

Well there is some breaking news.  This company is going to be coming out with a transmit only box for those of us that are stuck on Foreflight or Garmin products.  It will be a device that will wake up the ADS-B ground stations so we will be able to see all the ATC traffic!!  They will be announcing this soon!

I've been using the SkyRadar D-2 ADS-B receiver for over two years now and have been very happy with it.  It works great with numerous apps including WingX and has been very reliable.  I have it neatly hidden off the glareshield (found great spots in both my current M20K and my previous M20C) and using external suction cup antennas on the windshield.

www.skyradar.net

Please PM me if you'd like more information, screenshots from previous flights, and if interested I can get you a discount through the referral.

--Alex

Thanks for the offer SkyB.

Iirc, JimR, Dave and I all bought the SkyRadar receiver about two years back...

The weather product has been pretty nice, but the traffic leaves me with a "maybe I don't see what's out there" fealing...

It would definitely be nice to have an ADSB-out, reliable, portable, full picture of traffic as well...

Since the product life cycle is no more than 2 years, I'm staying portable for these non required items...

As far as mounting goes...

Is there a way to mount and plug in the device under a fiberglass cowling, and still be portable?

I think this applies to both skyradar and Stratus. Sorry to go too far outside the thread...

Best regards,

-a-

I am surprised on how many portable ADS-B products are there. Hope there is enough market. As for traffic detection the best and sure way to detect it is from plane to plane. Going through ground UAT station is like looking for the car ahead on a mirror on a pole instead of looking a the car directly. Even if one of these portables is able to transmit the chances of the UAT station on the ground receiving the signal is less than 50% unless you connect to a belly antenna. Like GPS, VOR, ADF, COMM, it works much better with an external antenna. Like on the old TVs, you will always get ghosts with your rabbit ears antenna.

José     

I live in the DFW area and I find my GNS430W/GTX330ES combo with TIS a great safety tool when flying in and around my class Bravo airspace.  That being said, I loose it 30-40 miles outside the mod-c vail.  So I use it (when available) as a second set of eyes, nothing more.

I was all ready to switch to ADS-B last Fall, even suspended my XM account. Well, I ended up reactivating XM & will stick with it for a while. Just a reminder, ADS isn't 'free' either. You can divide the $800 by $37 worth of monthly XM costs to get a ways down the road.

It's also easy to "suspend" your XM account if you won't be doing much longer distance flying for a few months at a time.

Thanks for the offer SkyB.

Iirc, JimR, Dave and I all bought the SkyRadar receiver about two years back...

The weather product has been pretty nice, but the traffic leaves me with a "maybe I don't see what's out there" fealing...

It would definitely be nice to have an ADSB-out, reliable, portable, full picture of traffic as well...

Since the product life cycle is no more than 2 years, I'm staying portable for these non required items...

As far as mounting goes...

Is there a way to mount and plug in the device under a fiberglass cowling, and still be portable?

I think this applies to both skyradar and Stratus. Sorry to go too far outside the thread...

Best regards,

-a-

Carusoam,

The SkyRadar has a remote antenna connection capability that will allow you to hide the box in a convenient location and to simply suction cup the antenna to the windshield.

See the accessories page on their website for more info on the various remote antennas:

http://www.skyradar.net/purchase/skyradar-accessories.html

--Alex