Flying out of Aspen

jackn

Jack,

From an East coast perspective...

How alone do you feel when you look out in all directions and there is nothing but white covered mountains?

Does a log book full of good maintenance entries help?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Jack,

From an East coast perspective...

How alone do you feel when you look out in all directions and there is nothing but white covered mountains?

Does a log book full of good maintenance entries help?

Best regards,

-a-

I can answer this question, as a Rocky Mountain frequent flyer....

Believe it or not, airport coverage in most of Colorado's high terrain is pretty good, and it's not hard to plan flights so you'll always have a field in gliding distance.

However, the stretch between Aspen and Denver is a notable exception. As the crow flies there aren't many options. Mucho pucker factor.

We are based at KGNB (vacation home) and find the front range to be great for flying when the weather is nice. We fly into KGNB from Dallas and its an easy flight.  I cross the front range at 14500 over Corona Pass. For this particular flight I would fly KASE follow SH82 to Carbondale then direct KEGE direct RLG direct KGNB direct Denver if pucker factor is a major consideration. You are always within 25 miles of the next airport.  Its beautiful country and unique from the air.  Get some mountain flight training before you enjoy. Highly recommend!!!

I can't see the video at work, but I agree that it is some of the prettiest harsh terrain anywhere!  My brother lives in Basalt (and works in Aspen) and I've flown into Aspen once, and Rifle a few times, and it is just spectacular.  One trip back east I stopped at Leadville just for the experience as well.

I can answer this question, as a Rocky Mountain frequent flyer....

Believe it or not, airport coverage in most of Colorado's high terrain is pretty good, and it's not hard to plan flights so you'll always have a field in gliding distance.

However, the stretch between Aspen and Denver is a notable exception. As the crow flies there aren't many options. Mucho pucker factor.

Quite true. And a reason we don't generally go as the crow flies in the mountains. Heading around toward Eagle first  is a good lower altitude option although crossing Hagerman after heading to Reudi Reservoir is a beautiful way to go although the options are fewer.

• Like 1