Wingtip Strobes

eft

I have a '79 M20K with Hoskins Nav and Strobe lights.  The power supply and the light/base (PN 7839) are both bad on one wing. It appears that I have three options:

1. Replace the bad power supply ($300) and HOPE that I can find a Hoskins PN 7839 light/base. (see attached picture) So far no luck on the light/base.
  2. Convert the bad power supply ($300) and light/base ($250) to Whelan which requires a 337
  3. Convert everything including NAV lights to LED of which there are two options, both TSO'd and do not require the 337

Any recent experience with any of these options?

post-7073-0-04532100-1367513281_thumb.jp

post-7073-0-78090900-1367513436_thumb.jp

I have tne AVEO's and though expensive they look very cool and are very bright, I would go that way.  Every exterior light on my J is LED and I love them.  I have the full Whelan power supply's, strobes and position lights I took of my J that work perfect, I will sell them for $200 if you want them and decide not to go with the LED's.  Let me know via PM.

Good luck,

Sanjeev

Really hope that the 6-in-one AVEO unit gets an STC soon.  I have them installed in my J, and with the rotary switch I also had installed, will alternate (two speeds), pulse (two speeds) or stay on or off.  I had to go through the 337 process, with a field inspection, and I understands that most FISDOs will not approve the units.  The STC should solve that problem.  I had the back and side bulkheads overlayed with mirrored plastic, and that helps with reflectivity, and brightens the flash, etc. 

post-7730-0-59223700-1367527886_thumb.jp

post-7730-0-71415000-1367528345_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I recently installed the Orion 600 and went through a whole learning process about this. I had different FAA people tell me different things. Here's the final verdict in my opinion.

I consider it a minor alteration and so did my IA AND a guy from the San Diego FSDO I spoke with over the phone. My local Long Beach FSDO and the Van Nuys FSDO think it's a major alteration requiring a 337. Hows that for consistency? I wholeheartedly disagree with that. If you read part 43 I think it's easily arguably that it's a minor alteration. With that, my IA signed my airframe logbook with the changes made and submitted a 337 for the work even though it was only a minor alteration. Keep in mine a 337 form is titled "Major Alteration."

The 337 was submitted so there's a record with the FAA on what was done to the plane in case I sell it someday. This was also what the San Diego FSDO guy said I could do. You don't need to get the 337 approved for a minor or even major alteration (depending on the circumstances for the latter) to do this so don't be worried about doing a 337. I'll even send you mine as an example. Just find yourself an IA with a level head who isn't going to make a minor alteration into an unnecessary major alteration.

• Like 1