LED wingtip and Tail Lights

Due to popular demand, I've posted some pictures of LED lights in my gallery, here is a link to them for sale.

The fit just fine in the mooney tail assembly, and wingtips.  as a bonus they can flash like strobes too.  on/steady/   on/off/on in under 3s they will strobe.

http://www.navstrobelighting.com/products/Aircraft-Wingtip-Navigation--Light-with-constant-%26-fast-white--strobe%2C-7.5w%2C-13550-LM-LEDs.html

http://www.navstrobelighting.com/products/Aircraft-Tailfin-Navigation-Light-with-constant-%26-fast-white-strobe%2C-7.5w%2C-13350-LM-LEDs.html

you can get these at Spruce but skip the middle man.

Just in case this comment gets brought up..

United States (FAA)

FAR Part 43, Appendix A, Paragraph C

Preventive maintenance is limited to the following work, provided it does not involve complex assembly operations:

Replacing bulbs, reflectors, and lenses of position and landing lights.

All the tailfin bulbs meet FAA requirment as per:

AC No: 20-74

Canada (Transport Canada)

CARs 2012-1 Section 17, under Part VI

Navigation Bulb installation is deemed as 'Elementry work' 

"Hence, it need not be performed by a holder of an AME licence. The owner is responsible to authorize who may perform the elementry work."

All the tailfin bulbs meet TC requirment as per:

Part V - Chapter 523, Subchapter F, 523-VLA.1393

• Like 1

Because I have strobes already on the wingtip, I chose to buy a on/steady/strobe LED for the tail and steady always on LEDS for wingtip, that way the tail will strobe and the wingtips will stay steady and use the strobes to strobe.  I got the wintip LED's from a supplier overseas for $12/piece. that are identical in looks, size and specs to the link I posted above

What type of base did you install so the light and be used/plugged into?

Due to popular demand, I've posted some pictures of LED lights in my gallery, here is a link to them for sale.

The fit just fine in the mooney tail assembly, and wingtips.  as a bonus they can flash like strobes too.  on/steady/   on/off/on in under 3s they will strob

A friend installed nav/strobe LED replacement bulbs. They were not as bright as the incandescent bulbs they replaced (note that I'm not sure they were the same as those in Scottaviation's link - - I'll try to find out though).

When using a white LED behind a red or green lens, the lens will block most of the LED's output *except* for the light light wavelenght band that's the lens color (red or green in our case). This filtering will significantly reduce the LED brightness, especially so if the LED is "cool white" (warm white has more red while cool white has more blue).

I believe most of the LED nav light makers are using red and green LEDS with a clear lens for their nav lights - - the AeroLeds on my Husky are made that way. More efficient approach.

bumper

these are 7.5w, how does that compare to standard bulbs?  I'm very interested in replacing mine to lighten the power draw.

The link does say 7.5 watts. But right below that in the specs it states Draws <225ma @ 14.2VDC

Ohm's law (P=IE) says that 225 ma X 14.2 volts = 3.195 watts. There be's a goof somewhere!

If lowering current demand on your electrical system is your goal, the LED bulb uses less. 12 volt incandescent position light bulb is 21 watts.

bumper

The link does say 7.5 watts. But right below that in the specs it states Draws <225ma @ 14.2VDC

Ohm's law (P=IE) says that 225 ma X 14.2 volts = 3.195 watts. There be's a goof somewhere!

If lowering current demand on your electrical system is your goal, the LED bulb uses less. 12 volt incandescent position light bulb is 21 watts.

bumper

It specs at 8 to 30 volts , so 7.5 watts at 14 V and 3.75 at 28 volts ...(or something real close)

It specs at 8 to 30 volts , so 7.5 watts at 14 V and 3.75 at 28 volts ...(or something real close)

I disagree. Depending on the current limiting method used, wattage will either go up with voltage applied (excess power being dissapated as heat), or stay near the same as voltage is increased (more fancy current regulator - see below) . . . wattage will *not* go down with increased voltage as you suggest.

explanation . . .

Watts (or power used) is a measure of voltage across the device (or load), and current through that device. Current X Voltage = Power.

Their spec says 225ma at 14.2VDC and that's 3.195 watts. If that is correct, then that's what the LED is gonna use for full intended brightness. You can apply more voltage than 14.2 volts, but there has to be a current limiter or regulator of some sort involved to allow for the higher voltagte input, or the LED would simply go PFFT!

LEDs are designed to operate at a given forward voltage (e.g. say around 2 volts*). If this voltage is exceeded, the current goes up exponentially as the excess heat lowers the LED's internal resistance and that causes even more current flow (thermal runaway). So LEDs must have some sort of current limiter or regulator.

* LEDs will often be arranged in series or series/parallel circuits to increase working voltage (e.g. six 2 volt LEDs in series would be need 12 volts applied).

Unlike the days of using a simple (and cheap) current limiting series resister, Higher power LED arrays now often use a voltage/current regulator to allow for a broad input voltage range and to protect the LED from over-current. If a simple regulator such as an LM series is used, then any excess power is simply converted to heat. Larger arrays may use a DC-DC converter (current limiting buck or buck/boost) which is more effecient 85 - 95%.

Oh, and just to confirm, my friend confirmed the LED nav/strobe bulbs he purchased were the same, from the same source, as the link at the beginning of this thread. As noted earlier, they were not nearly as bright as the original incandescent bulbs (when mounted behind the red or green position lenses), and so were removed from service.

bumper

• Like 1

Oh, and just to confirm, my friend confirmed the LED nav/strobe bulbs he purchased were the same, from the same source, as the link at the beginning of this thread. As noted earlier, they were not nearly as bright as the original incandescent bulbs (when mounted behind the red or green position lenses), and so were removed from service.

bumper

that's too bad.  I'd really like to switch over to LEDs.

Looked interesting for a minute, then I read this: http://www.navstrobelighting.com/pages/About-Us.html

The wingtip products are sold as non-TSO/PMA. The tailfin products meet the requirements of the FAA and TC and therefore can be legally installed by the owner in any GA aircraft Refer to the Compliance tab on this website.

I saw these at Sun N Fun and almost purchased them but I noticed easily that they were not very bright. By the way, they had two different versions of the bulb with one being slightly larger ( higher wattage), the higher wattage bulb was the one they were doing the demo with and it was somewhat dim, not bright at all.

He has a great idea here.  Like someone said the colored lens does reduce the effective output of the light.  He is fighting a space and heat issue to get the increase the lumen output of the bulbs.  Maybe if someone had clear lenses and he could produce the bulbs in red and green.

My friend will cheerfully sell the LED bulbs he installed and removed for half what he paid and free shipping to lower 48 (or as OB would say,lower 55). I think he has 3 wingtip and 1 tail - - he's gonna get back to me and let me know for sure. In any case, package deal for all. Great deal? You decide. WARNING: Installed LED lights will be significantly dimmer than the bulbs they replace. Half price offer is final, no returns.

There are already bright  red and green bulbs available on ebay for about $13 or so. Here's two red ones that would most likely be too long to fit under the existing red lens (but for those with the later plexi covered wing tips, should work without a lens - - maybe).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-BAY15S-5-5W-30x5050-SMD-LED-Red-Light-Car-Brake-Turning-Reverse-Bulbs-12V-/190782188752?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6b812cd0&vxp=mtr

Clear lenses are also available from Whelen, but like most of the stuff they offer, they are quite proud of them.

I think I'll wait on the nav lights and continue using the old bulbs. I've got spares form my Husky when I replaced everything that lights up with LED fixtures from AeroLeds.

bumper

I just want to chime in and say I bought my LEDs overseas and made sure the lumens were high at at least 900lumens. I have not purchased nav strobe bulbs cause I don't need the flash feature and dont want to pay $40/bulb but I can assure you all 10w 900 lumens are atleast 3-4 times brighter than the incandescent s I pulled out. The tail is crazy bright and so are the wingtip lights as seen in my pics. $12/pop. Link below

http://dx.com/p/1156-10w-900lm-5-led-white-light-car-brake-lamp-10-30v-168835

Tail light base. **** will not fit wingtip lights unless you file off one of the little nipples at base***

I'm not looking for legality comments. You guys are all adults and can make your own calls on what you decide. I think they are incredibly bright and low power demand and something you can leave on all the time with no concern for burnout.

• 3 weeks later...

"you can get these at Spruce but skip the middle man."

According to my experience, I would be very careful to "skip the middle man"...

Orderd a set, for a total of $116 on May 1st. Credit card charged, site has been showing a message "Awaiting shippment" for the last month. After two emails and no reply, this one is going to a third party for resolution!

Update from the company, May 28th

Hello Pierre;

Sorry that I did not see your message. I refunded your money today.

My product was 4 weeks late from my manufacturer, due to product error.

Regards, Chris Winter

I always appreciate a good customer service policy.