Rear seat back removal?

Zulee

I have an 81 J and often carry camping gear, golf clubs, etc and rarely carry anyone in the rear seat. Since my rear seat configuration is bench style (non folding) and connected by 4 bolts, removing just the seat back would cure my space problem.

I understand W&B, required equipment, etc will be offered as concerns but would like to hear some feedback from the group or any experiences with this.

Thanks, Rick

Not much weight involved, the seat back is very light. I am sure it is not on any required list. Taking it out temporarily seems reasonable to me.

I agree it likely weighs less than my flight bag...ha ha. I will check for the stc but knowing lasar they figured how to turn it into a $4,000 modification.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments

I found the folding seat thread and the mod was quoted by one Mooniac at $1800 and another at $3000, go figure. I got a kick out of someone commenting about the seat being part of the structural integrity of the cabin...OMG, I almost p'd my pants. I think it is safe to assume the roll cage engineered by Mooney doesn't need the help of a 20 lb seat to keep things together. LOL

I've taken to leaving the upper bolts out, and remove the seat bottom and fold the rear forward when I carry a lot of cargo.  You have to be careful with the tabs passing by the armrests, but it is doable.  It limits the front seat travel aft and makes ingress/egress a little more difficult, but still possible.

• 4 years later...

Just one fold down rear seat.  Not split seats: I am interested in whether or not anyone has had success in modifying the brackets, on a K model,  so the rear seat back simply folds down. I understand there is a minor, not structural mod out there, but not sure it will fit  my plane. Thanks

• 2 years later...
On 2/17/2018 at 3:48 PM, anthonydesmet said:

231SM,
I posted a backseat mod and have a pdf I can send you on how I worked mine to put a dog carrier in for pilots and paws. pm me if your interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just saw this thread, and also travel with my canines for SAR work. I would be interested in the PDF if it is still available. Thanks, Norm