Intercoolers for 231 - possible source!

M20Kid

I have a 231 with a Merlyn Waste Gate but no intercooler.  I've owned the airplane for about a year and I have been unable to find an intercooler to install.  The one company that lists them for sale stopped making them some time back because demand was low.

If you have a 231 and you want an intercooler there may be hope!  I just spoke to Bill at Airflow Systems and he told me they need to sell a minimum of 10 units to make a production run economically possible.  If 10 people were interested at one time he would try to make a limited production run of intercoolers!

I'm one of the interested people so he needs 9 more.  If you are interested in an intercooler please call Bill at 949-218-9701.  I told him I was posting his name and contact information and so he's expecting some calls.

If you are going to call him, please leave a note on this board so we can follow the actual interest in these units.

• Like 1

FBCK - I tried to access the page for turboplus  but my browsers says that page has been taken over by hackers.  Google tells me the same thing.  I didn't risk going there but if you have a contact number I would be more than happy to speak to them.

Thanks!

Google seem to be flagging alot of site lately. The same happen to another major site in Canada here last week, took a couple of day to clear it up.  If you just type in the address there doesn't seem to be any trouble.

We are 100% interested in one.  I spoke with Bill at Airflow Systems in the past and have given him my name as one of the ten interested persons.  If you can get an order together please let me know.  You can contact me at 904.472.4651 or 954.448.5061.  I was never interested in the turbo plus system because of the extra labor involved and it is not as efficient.

Nick

Nick - glad to hear there's more support!  I would recommend that you give Bill a call just to make sure he remembers you and includes you in our current discussion.  Like you, I've heard the Airflow Systems intercooler is the best so I hope we can make this happen.

Vince I see you on the MAPA list as well and I dont know if the information you are getting about flying the intercooler 231 is correct.  There is actually an MAPA article, I believes it was in their test flight of the 231 and it clearly states, if intercooled fly it like it was a 252.  My standard takeoff is 36 inches when you do the calculations with the turboplus intercooler.  It was on there old website, cant find it mow, but if you call them I'm sure they can dig it out.

I spoke to Bill at Airflow Systems and he told me that there have been two committments so far for his intercoolers.  Eight more are needed before he can talk about proceeding.  If you have any interest please make a note here and call Bill directly at 949-218-9701 to let him know you're interested.

If you have been thinking of adding an intercooler and are sitting on the fence, please get off the fence and join us.  Otherwise this great product will not become available and we will all push on without the benefits.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can put me down for one as well.

Regarding TurboPlus - I haven't been in touch with them, but their website seems fine: http://www.turboplus.com/products.htm. I actually found this thread trying to get a comparison between TurboPlus and Airflow Systems, but like you from the information available it seems that the A/S is the one to go for.

I'll get in touch with Airflow Systems to get me to add them to their list.

Jim Page

N2BL - LFMZ

• 2 months later...

How is the project with the intercooler going...? How many orders are by now?

I do have a 231 but with LB engine (without intercooler), I don't have many issues with the temps...is it such a big difference between an intercooled one vs non-intercooled one? I am considering the posibility to upgrade mine if it's worth...

Manu, the intercooler increases the efficiency of the engine as the inlet air is cooler, and the overall increase in temperature of the air/fuel charge at ignition is increased. This results in your engine developing the same power at lower manifold pressures, and reduced fuel consumption. The lower temperature may also result in longevity improvements. The turboplus website has these bullet points:

• Fuel Savings up to 15%. Pays for itself in fuel savings
  • Increase Cruise (same fuel flow) Up to 10 Kts
  • Same H.P. with reduced M.P.
  • Engine Critical Altitude Increased.
  • More Take-Off Power on Hot Days.
  • Reduce Engine Operating Temperatures.
  • Extended Range and Extend Engine Life.

The airflow systems intercooler is allegedly more efficient, and it's a lot easier and cheaper to install.

Turbo Plus started a thread in the General area: http://mooneyspace.com/topic/10441-m20k-intercooler-systems/ The have yet to respond to my "are they ready to ship" question but having started the thread they might be ready to sell them.

Do you guys have the email address of Bill from Airflow Systems? I am in Europe and it is difficult to call him due to different time zone...but I am interested as well.

The number is +1 949 281 9701. Bizarrely I can't see their address anywhere but from Romania if you call at 6 or 7pm you will be fine. (I am in France)

Email addresses: airflow2@cox.net - but I am not 100% sure about this. I also have had success in the distant past with sales@airflow-systems.com but I haven't had responses from either email for a while. You could also try airflowsystems2@gmail.com which is in their price list. I would try and get him on the phone though.

One thing: if you are on a D- registration, make sure this product has european approval, or if the German authority will accept the US STC, otherwise you may find you have to take it off again to stay legal.

• 3 months later...