Looking for a used tailpipe M20J

papagei

Hi at all,

I'm looking for a used Tailpipe for a M20J.

We have here in Germany sometimes problems with the availability of parts.

Paying with Credit card or paypal is no problem.

If you could help me, please send me an email at lukas-straubinger@gmx.de

Best regards from Germany

Thanks a lot for all the replies !

We want to install a new tailpipe and replace our muffler. I attached an image. The previous owner istalled it in 1999 as a consequence of some stupid german and european regulations in order to achieve a "better" noise certificate. But now we suspect the muffler to cause a corbon monoxide problem. We always have during climb readings on our digital CO - detector between 100 and 200 ppm depending on the duration of climbing. A classical detector card doesn't change its color at these levels. Our mechanic checked and double checked everything ( complete exhaust system, heat exchanger etc ... ). During cruise and descend the carbon monoxide is no problem. If you have any idea or an offer, please let me know!

Best regards

Lukas

post-8889-0-14358500-1366221213_thumb.jp

We tried to remove it, but it's not so easy. Additional to the screw the muffler is fixed with some bolts in the existing pipe. It also would'nt be a problem to fly without it. Maybe we would have to pay some extra dollars landing fees. According to my information the original tailpipe was cut off at the end before the muffler was installed.

But thanks a lot !

Thanks a lot for all the comments !

But now I would have a further question. As you can see in my picture, theres a connection between the fuselage and the muffler. Is this the usual factory condition or do you think it was added later ? Furthermore I have seen on some mooneys with a spring in exactly this position between the fuselage and the tailpipe. Is it needed or would you cut the connection in my case when moving back to a normal tailpipe ?

Regards

The hangar bracket, you are referring to, is necessary for a couple of reasons. First, it's used to keep the tailpipe from hanging down and chafing on the cowl flap - - the tail pipe is connected to the exhaust system via a ball joint connection that allows enough movement for the tailpipe to get into trouble if not supported. Further, the hangar bracket serves to damp some of the vibration that would otherwise have the tailpipe moving pretty good given its moment arm.

A friend of a friend made a nice new bracket out of a strip of tire sidewall. The cord adds strength while still being strong enough to last many years. A stainless hose clamp went around the pipe and through a bracket made from a strip of stainless, folded into a "U", with legs twisted 90 degrees and holes in them to bolt to a hole in the rubber strip.

• 3 weeks later...

We finally went for a new tailpipe. As jetdriven mentioned I ordered the tailpipe by aerospace welding (www.awi-ami.com) for just 399$ and also can highly recommend this shop. Call direct Charlie Feld, he's very friendly, competent and reliable. 

Best Regards

Lukas

• 3 months later...

Lukas, what was the result of the replacement? Does it work? I consider to replace my muffler as well with the original tailpipe. Not because of CO emission but the improve the performance. I suspect the muffler is reducing speed by approx 5kts, not talking about fuel consumption which goes with it. Any ideas? Cheers Wulf

Some here have recommended Dawley Aviation for overhauling exhaust systems and components. Just to be clear, when using Dawley, you send in what you have to get overhauled. What comes back to you is essentially new, or better than new. And at very reasonable prices and exemplary customer service. 

I haven't tested this, but I think you could send them a rusted beer can and they'd send you back a like new exhaust system - - really!

bumper

• Like 1