iPad vs Garmin hand held round 4: ADSB

It does not, unfortunately.  The challenge is that in order to "awaken" the ground stations the aircraft needs to transmit its own position. In order to accomplish that with proper accuracy to FAA standards, since this position report could be used for air traffic control separation, it is not possible with the portable device like the SkyRadar. 

Actually it is possible with a portable unit:

http://www.skyguardtwx.com/UAT_TRANSCEIVER.html

I've been happy with the GDL-39 and aera 500 /iPad solution. It sits on the glareshield and is powered by the airplane, and feeds ADS-B data to the aera, plus bluetooth to the iPad. It is the size of a pack of cigarettes.  Like Jim I always receive several stations at once and have had no data dropouts from Houston to Sedona, Dallas, and almost to the Bahamas.

Byron,

Did you get this coverage in these areas in the Jets (flight levels) or in your Mooney at 8k - 9k ?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding Chris it doesn't matter what kind of ADS/B in unit you have. Its sole purpose is to awaken the ADS/B ground station so you will get the traffic info. Previously you had to hope that there was an airliner or corporate jet nearby that was operating with a squitter that would get the ground station to send out the info but now this is what this unit does.

I am the first one to get this unit and it should be here on Friday. I will post a pirep of the unit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

From my understanding Chris it doesn't matter what kind of ADS/B in unit you have. Its sole purpose is to awaken the ADS/B ground station so you will get the traffic info. Previously you had to hope that there was an airliner or corporate jet nearby that was operating with a squitter that would get the ground station to send out the info but now this is what this unit does. I am the first one to get this unit and it should be here on Friday. I will post a pirep of the unit. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thanks Brett. I will be curious to see how it works out for you. I am getting the Wx/traffic itch and have been debating on my next step. I am running the Garmin Pilot app on my iPad and Nexus 7 as well as a copy of ForeFlight on the iPad. Aspen has brought out their panel mounted ADSB solution that ports over to the portable device. Decisions, decisions...