It's Raining Planes :-(

fantom

Another ugly fatal crash of a plane based at FXE in Ft. Lauderdale. 9 dead - RIP.

No one on board a small business plane that crashed into an apartment building in northeast Ohio survived, authorities said Tuesday.

The Hawker H25 was built to seat 10 passengers. Authorities couldn’t immediately confirm the total number of people on the plane, but did say there were at least two deaths. Sources told WJW in Cleveland that nine people, including the pilot and co-pilot, had died in the crash.

No one was inside the four-unit apartment building or another home that caught fire after the crash, said Lt. Sierjie Lash, an Akron fire department spokeswoman.

Plane owner Augusto Lewkowicz told The Associated Press that two pilots and seven passengers were on the flight. He said he had talked to investigators and was trying to contact the families of the vicitms.

The jet took off from Dayton and planned to land at Akron Fulton International Airport, about 2 miles from where it crashed. Ohio State Highway Patrol Lt. Bill Haymaker said it clipped utility wires on the way down and crashed into the building, which was destroyed by a subsequent fire. The plane then hit an embankment beyond the building, causing a nearby house to also burn.

......and so it goes. Fly safe out there!

20 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Footage that I just saw on the news showed it left wing down as it hit the building. 

Pilots may have been scud running, below the glide scope in bad WX, hunting for the runway. 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/sfl-pilot-procedures-ntsb-20151112-story.html

16 hours ago, fantom said:

Pilots may have been scud running, below the glide scope in bad WX, hunting for the runway. 

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/sfl-pilot-procedures-ntsb-20151112-story.html

Any number of things could have happened to these unfortunate souls. They were on the LOC RWY 25 approach. They were "diving and driving"... They may have had ground contact and mistaken something else for the runway environment.  Who knows...

For an aviation professional, Mr. Breiling does not sound well versed in the vernacular. I've never thought of a aircraft on an IFR approach that may or may not of intentionally busted minimums as "scud running" while trying to find the runway environment so they don't have to make a "go around". Also, I have a close family member that flys charter and I've never heard of them being denied payment for landing at an alternate, as the article suggests.

Canada has instituted a thing called the Stabilized Constant Descent Angle Non-Precision Approach.  Basically, timing the descent from a point before the MDA with a constant descent rate at a given speed (to result in a constant descent angle), to prevent the dive and drive thing we have all done in the past for non-precision approaches.  It sort of gives non-WAAS drivers a tool similar to a WAAS approach without the needles to follow.  

It can be a challenge to master. Approach plates now have them on the approach profile.  See attached.

CDA examples.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

AirAsia Flight 8501 Crash Caused by System Malfunctions, Pilot Response

Crash report depicts confusion and escalating trouble in the cockpit

A combination of system malfunctions and improper pilot responses to electrical and rudder-system problems led AirAsia Flight 8501 to crash in December last year, killing all 162 people on board, Indonesian investigators found. Photo: Getty Images
By 
BEN OTTO in Jakarta, Indonesia, and 
ANDY PASZTOR in Los Angeles
Updated Dec. 1, 2015 5:16 a.m. ET

Indonesian investigators said the crash of AirAsia Flight 8501 last year, which killed all 162 people on board, was caused by a combination of system malfunctions and improper pilot responses to cascading electrical and rudder-system problems.

Investigators from Indonesia’s National Transportation Safety Committee said Tuesday that a cracked solder joint on the Airbus A320 resulted in an electrical interruption that caused computer-generated warnings of a rudder malfunction.

The problem occurred four times during the flight. The first three times, the flight crew responded according to standard procedure, investigators said. The fourth time, however, the flight-data recorder indicated actions similar to those of circuit breakers being reset. That led the autopilot to disengage. 

Soerjanto Tjahjono announces the National Transportation and Safety Committee's findings Tuesday.ENLARGE
Soerjanto Tjahjono announces the National Transportation and Safety Committee's findings Tuesday. PHOTO: GARRY LOTULUNG/REUTERS

Soerjanto Tjahjono, chief of the committee, told The Wall Street Journal that it appeared a member of the flight crew reset the circuit breakers. If a pilot had done that, he would have had to leave his seat, Mr. Tjahjono said. He said that three days before the flight, the captain had encountered the electrical problem on the same jet on the ground ‎and had seen a maintenance crew resolve it by resetting the circuit breakers. Mr. Tjahjono said Airbus Group SE permits resetting the circuit breakers, as long as “you know the consequences.”

The reset turned off both the plane’s autopilot and auto-thrust system and pilots didn’t turn them back on, leaving them to manually fly with a degraded and unfamiliar fly-by-wire system. But with normal flight protections gone, the faulty rudder controls put the plane into a steep bank while pilots flew higher, and investigators said the crew was unable to react appropriately to “a prolonged stall condition” ending in the crash. 

The report depicts confusion and escalating trouble in the cockpit, with pilots deviating from course and asking air-traffic controllers to approve a climb to avoid a storm even as they confronted four separate rudder-system warnings within 15 minutes.

Roughly a minute after the fourth warning, according to the report, the co-pilot pulled the jet’s nose up sharply and that was followed quickly by a stall warning that “continued until the end of the [cockpit voice] recording.” The co-pilot’s control stick remained “mostly at maximums pitch up” until the crash, investigators determined

Reflecting further lack of crew coordination, the report indicates the captain also was manipulating his control stick almost from the instant the stall warning activated to the time flight-data recording ended. In an emergency, cockpit discipline requires one of the two pilots to take over the controls and make all flight inputs.

After six separate orders by the Indonesian captain to “pull down, pull down” the first officer, who was French, replied in his native language: “What is going wrong,” according to the report. 

That rise led to the fatal stall, Mardjono Siswosuwarno, lead investigator for the crash, said.

Investigators found the solder problem had come up 23 times in the previous 12 months, gaining in frequency in recent months. They suggested responses to the problem were inadequate. 

The circuit breakers had been reset three days earlier by mechanics during troubleshooting on the ground.

The report describes a series of discussions between ground staff and the flight’s captain, including an exchange in which the captain was told he could “reset [the breakers] whenever instructed” by computerized warning messages. 

AirAsia Flight 8501 crashed in waters off the coast of Borneo island en route to Singapore from the Indonesian city of Surabaya on Dec. 28. 

Airbus said it had received the final accident report and was carefully studying its contents. “Airbus has provided full technical assistance and expertise to the authorities in charge of the investigation,” the company added.

AirAsia Indonesia said it had introduced several safety initiatives before the release of the report, including upset-recovery training and implementation of an aircraft-maintenance and analysis system to provide real-time monitoring on aircraft fault messages. 

The crash came years after international air-safety authorities recognized the dangers of high-altitude stalls with degraded fly-by-wire flight controls, and urged stepped up training to enhance manual flying skills of pilots so they could cope with precisely such types of emergencies. 

Months ago, safety experts from Airbus and several airlines that operate A320s said that pulling or resetting circuit breakers in midair was considered hazardous and wasn’t part of any Airbus-authorized training program.

Such a move can have unpredictable consequences by causing automated flight-protections to disengage suddenly. 

The global airline industry has been struggling to sharpen flying skills at a time cockpits are becoming increasingly automated. Several accidents have raised concerns pilots lack the skills to respond to emergencies that simulators can’t replicate well. 

An Air France Airbus A330 jet in 2009 crashed after crews lost some of their automatic flight controls and failed to recognize they were in a high-altitude stall. All 228 people on the flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris died.

The same year, a Colgan Air turboprop crashed near Buffalo, New York. Investigators determined the pilot was never properly trained on how to respond to the type of emergency the aircraft encountered. All 50 people on the plane died.

Airbus said last year it was revising its pilot-training policies to place greater emphasis on manual flying skills

Some airlines, including Delta Air Lines Inc., sent a few of their most seasoned instructors back to flight school to learn how to detect and recover for airborne upsets. 

—Anita Rachman and Robert Wall contributed to this article.

Write to Ben Otto at ben.otto@wsj.com and Andy Pasztor at andy.pasztor@wsj.com

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Systems operators struggle when their systems fail. Tragic and sad 

9 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Imagine that.

I recall from the news that this flight was in heavy T-storms as well. The 1st officer was full back on controls all the way down. Reminds me of the findings with the Air France crash off of the Brazil coast. It's hard to believe that professionals can't analyze and recover from a stall, even with system failures and in IMC storms. Makes me wonder what chance I would really have if I encountered something like a  turbulence upset in IMC. I have done upset training under the hood but never gone so far as to go through a stall under the hood. Anyone else done this? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PMcClure said:

I recall from the news that this flight was in heavy T-storms as well. The 1st officer was full back on controls all the way down. Reminds me of the findings with the Air France crash off of the Brazil coast. It's hard to believe that professionals can't analyze and recover from a stall, even with system failures and in IMC storms. Makes me wonder what chance I would really have if I encountered something like a  turbulence upset in IMC. I have done upset training under the hood but never gone so far as to go through a stall under the hood. Anyone else done this? 

I have completed my last 3 flight reviews under the hood - down at 100ft on climb out and up at minimums on approach. It's not so bad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I understand it, there is a major human factors issue with the Airbus in that the controls are not coupled. You and your copilot may both be task saturated with one person realizing the stall and the other pulling back to climb; the computer averages the control input preventing stall recovery and preventing the pilot who is trying to recover from having effective input to break the stall. Furthermore, as I understand it, the Airbus will "autotrim" to relieve control pressure and require manual intervention to remove the trim. If the plane is so damned smart, why the fuck can't it realize that it's stalled? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Antares said:

As I understand it, there is a major human factors issue with the Airbus in that the controls are not coupled. You and your copilot may both be task saturated with one person realizing the stall and the other pulling back to climb; the computer averages the control input preventing stall recovery and preventing the pilot who is trying to recover from having effective input to break the stall. Furthermore, as I understand it, the Airbus will "autotrim" to relieve control pressure and require manual intervention to remove the trim. If the plane is so damned smart, why the fuck can't it realize that it's stalled? 

Read QF32 by Richard de Crespigny. A fascinating read and a lot of great information about the Airbus. I've been on this very airplane and have a new appreciation for the brand.

• 1 month later...

Here's a Diamond that landed on an LA Freeway today.

http://ktla.com/2016/01/12/light-plane-lands-on-freeway-in-moorpark-area/

As a side note, when are phone users going to learn that holding the device horizontally ("landscape") renders more viewing area? Humans view things horizontally and we live in a horizontal world where movie, TV screens and still pictures are wide. Sometimes vertical is required, but not most of the time. How many times have you seen a GoPro video shot from outside a plane that was taped vertically?

Here's a Diamond that landed on an LA Freeway today.

http://ktla.com/2016/01/12/light-plane-lands-on-freeway-in-moorpark-area/

A friend of mine is taking lessons at the flight school this plane is out of. In fact this is one of the planes he has been training in. He sent me this recording - start around 3m30s for the mayday then......he "has a low fuel indication":

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kvny/KVNY-App-Jan-12-2016-0030Z.mp3

Too bad it wasn't raining fuel :P

A friend of mine is taking lessons at the flight school this plane is out of. In fact this is one of the planes he has been training in. He sent me this recording - start around 3m30s for the mayday then......he "has a low fuel indication":

Somebody's got some 'splainin to do.

• 1 year later...

Bummer! My airplane partner had a 145 and 200. Great airplanes!!!

His old 200 was in Iceland a few years ago, now I guess it's back in CA. He did a lot of work at the factory in MI on the 145, they did all the engineering for the continental Io-360 in the 145. 

-Matt

36 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Does anyone know anything about this one from a few weeks ago in Texas?  It looks like it might have been a Missile, and a really nice looking one at that. 

Jim

http://kxan.com/2017/05/28/small-plane-crashes-in-lakeway-no-one-hurt/

I've spoken with the owner a few times. He's fine and uninjured but doesn't want to talk about it publicly right now.

It is/was a very nice Missile.

• 2 months later...

As I get further away from GA, I haven't been posting all the fatal and mostly stupid pilot tricks I read about. Here is a M20C one that happened a few days ago:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/hauppauge-pilot-dies-in-plane-crash-that-killed-race-driver-1.14211684

• 1 month later...

A lot of people will fly to KZPH to buy the cheap gas from KCLW, and since this is the only one that went down, I doubt if it was fuel contamination at KZPH.  This will put still more heat on KCLW to close it I am sure. Keene rd is just to the west of the airpark, and for him to chose it for a landing spot instead of the golf course makes me think the mech issue is after takeoff from KCLW. Another engine issue on takeoff? Happens way way too often in our bullet proof, ultra reliable Lycs and Contis'

• Like 1