Sun n fun

Mooneyjet

My first sun-n-fun was three years ago, shortly after getting my certificate. I rented an airplane and was told to make sure I check the NOTAMs, which I did. I noted a couple tower lights out, et cetera. Either I was not introduced to it, or I had forgotten about published NOTAMs. I was in for a surprise when I tuned in the ATIS heading into LAL and got the five minute instruction. I made it in. The guy who parked next to me I immediately became good friends with; I'm going to Germany to visit him later this month. Apparently somebody cut him off on short final without talking to anyone and the controller sent my friend around. 

An A&P I met in north FL had spent a significant amount of time rebuilding a Navion. A guy landed an Extra 300 on top of him and totaled his plane. 

Be safe and vigilant out there. I'm likely going to drive in unless I'm feeling exceptionally adventurous. 

Sun N Fun 2013 is almost over, and I only live 30 miles away from Lakeland.

However, I think the SNF arrival is totally unsafe and should be revised.  I was at the show (drove from Tampa) on Tuesday and Friday, and there was hardly anyone flying into the show on either day.  I absolutely would never fly into SNF on a weekend, way too dangerous, the arrival pattern is not clear if you haven't done it before (I've flown into SNF about 30 times, many years ago) and most guys haven't read the NOTAM.

The procedure needs to be more precise, and the spacing is always to close, be careful out there.

IMHO

I drove the past two years after flying in on a Friday my first time. I flew in this year, but it was on a Wednesday late in the morning. There was only one other plane with me and I had to work for spacing. It was a taildragger who struggled to maintain speed. 

As I said in another post, an A&P that I met had a guy land on top of him in an Extra 300 and totaled his Navion that he'd spent years restoring. 

Butch, I'm surprised I haven't run into you. I'm often at KTPF with that whole Saturday crew.