A Beautiful Day over the Colorado Rockies

Joe Zuffoletto

nice. :)

Ok... it's beautiful and people do it a lot apparently. But what's going through your mind about "what do I do if the engine quits?" It doesn't look like there's any place to put down. At all.

Also... looked to me like you were at 17,500. If true, was that so you could stay VFR?

nice. :)

Ok... it's beautiful and people do it a lot apparently. But what's going through your mind about "what do I do if the engine quits?" It doesn't look like there's any place to put down. At all.

Also... looked to me like you were at 17,500. If true, was that so you could stay VFR?

Believe it or not, there were airports within gliding distance the whole way, including Montrose, Gunnison, Buena Vista and Leadville. Go to FlightAware and check my track overlaid on the sectional and you'll see what I mean.

I usually depart the LA Basin VFR to save time and then get a popup IFR clearance to Denver once out of the congested airspace. I prefer to cross the Rockies in the 20's but the winds in the flight levels yesterday sucked. Hence 17,500.'

• Like 1

• 6 months later...