Static wicks

Perhaps this has been discussed... I was asked today about static wicks on vintage Mooneys. I do not recall noting radio noise while flying in moisture so I wonder how much of a problem static is with modern avionics or proper antenna installations?  

Bob Belville

Statics wicks were most common in the LORAN and Omega days. It helped keep the static noise down thus improving LORAN reception range. They also help on HF equipped aircraft. But there is no added advantage for VHF NAV/COM frequencies unless you are encountering St. Elmos fire phenomena. 

José

When I had LORAN in my plane it was recommended that I install static wicks to prevent interference. I bought them and was about to have them installed when this thing called GPS became available to the public. Never installed and if ANYONE needs a set, I got them! :)

Oh I see that's why my J has static wips. It had loran, but it got discarded when I put in 650 and other items.

I was wondering for a while why anyone would put them on.

I can't take them off now because what do you fill holes with?

Hank,

Reminds me of guys around the shop transferring pellets from drums to feed hoppers on the IM machines in winter. The static build up / discharge from air flow is incredibly painful if not grounded properly. Have you had this experience?

Comparing the size of a Mooney to a 55gal drum, the charge could be heart stoppingly giant.

I would think that the leather yoke wraps make good sense for personal protection.

My '94 O1 has a full set of factory supplied static wicks. VOR, ILS, ADF and GPS were delivered with the plane.

Cold / dry air would be strongest at building and not dissipating the static charge.

Flying through snow must add an entirely new level of static on top...

My thinking out loud...

-a-

Hank,

Reminds me of guys around the shop transferring pellets from drums to feed hoppers on the IM machines in winter. The static build up / discharge from air flow is incredibly painful if not grounded properly. Have you had this experience? Oh, the joys of modern manufacturing! This is a lesson you learn early. Now we vacuum load from silos into the machine hopper.

Comparing the size of a Mooney to a 55gal drum, the charge could be heart stoppingly giant. It's not the relative size of the object--even a 40-lb. hopper can get your attention. It's the size of the charge that matters. I don't even reach into the plastic-lined Recycle trashcans full of molded scrap. But I do ground my Mooney before pumping gas into her.

I would think that the leather yoke wraps make good sense for personal protection. My yokes are bare powder coat, never had any problems. And the mounting screws show on all three levers, I'm sure I touch them, too.

My '94 O1 has a full set of factory supplied static wicks. VOR, ILS, ADF and GPS were delivered with the plane.

Cold / dry air would be strongest at building and not dissipating the static charge.

Flying through snow must add an entirely new level of static on top... I've only flown through light snow at altitude; flying over it after it's on the ground doesn't count.

My thinking out loud...

-a-

a--see above.

Before removing existing static wicks, I'd talk to your A&P about their continued necessity, and about what to do with the empty holes. Seems like a lot of us never had them.

I have no value to add to the discussion so I figure I should say something   :)

When I began my IFR training my older instructor was pretty insistent that I install wicks on my M20F. The aircraft still had the arrow shaped bases but the wicks had long since departed. His position was that when in snow or other??? situations the static build up could cause radio interference....I have no knowledge or expertise in this area but he was a conservative instructor on most things and keeps his own B brand immaculate and very shipshape.

He also made sure I went through my logs and checked not only hours but age of vac pumps, alternators, starters, etc and get them squared away...needless to say I have taken his advice and spent money many might think is overkill....but when it comes to safety I too am conservative....perhaps my Navy years ingrained preventative measures in me too.   So wicks, to get back on topic, were one of the things this conservative, very safe instructor advised I install.

So for my next service I had my A&P install them....Did the A&P think I should do them....he had mixed reviews and wouldn't recommend either way but since I was paying...Will I ever need them? Can't say but I do have an aircraft with pretty much every component reviewed and replaced if not recent and within specs. and with wicks....

As I said...not much value but one man's experience.

• 1 month later...

GNS 480 primary GPS NAV / COM, no wicks and I have never had an issue with static through weather over the last 5 years and 700hrs of ownership.  Im not planning on installing them. My .02 :-)

I do not have the static wicks on my current Mooney, or on my prior Mooney, but I have seen St. Elmo's fire as a ball rolling across a wing in my former Mooney 261 conversion while in the flight levels at night. Strange, frightening sight, but I have no idea if wicks would have dissipated the phenomenon.  Harmless, but I have no desire to see it again. 

• 4 years later...