Fuel cap O-ring Replacement

AlanA

1 hour ago, paulie said:

The point is not the airplane blowing up, it's if you make a insurance claim and they dig into the books you're giving them a reason to deny the claim. Same reason I pull permits on everything I modify on my house.

Good thing you don't live in The People's Republic of California. "Legally" if you wanted to go down to Home Depot and buy those nice flat light switches to replace the 30 year old ones in your house you are supposed to pull a permit with the county...

The point is not the airplane blowing up, it's if you make a insurance claim and they dig into the books you're giving them a reason to deny the claim. Same reason I pull permits on everything I modify on my house.

I hope you know I was kidding about it causing the engine to burn up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thing you don't live in The People's Republic of California. "Legally" if you wanted to go down to Home Depot and buy those nice flat light switches to replace the 30 year old ones in your house you are supposed to pull a permit with the county...

Lol,they can't even drink out of garden hoses for fear of getting cancer....

Guest paulie

Just pointing out that insurance companies are not in business to pay claims, they're interested in collecting premiums. It's your airplane and money, do as you will.

Just pointing out that insurance companies are not in business to pay claims, they're interested in collecting premiums. It's your airplane and money, do as you will.

Yep, and if I blew up the engine they wouldn't cover that for any reason.

4 hours ago, paulie said:

The only  part of the book they ask to see is the page with the last annual inspecrion   on it 

2 hours ago, paulie said:

IF they weaseled out of paying claims on every plane that has something that failed or wasn't factory new they would never pay. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paulie said:

4 hours ago, jetdriven said:

IF they weaseled out of paying claims on every plane that has something that failed or wasn't factory new they would never pay. 

I agree with Byron. Excessive worry about insurance companies strikes me as a bit paranoid.  But it's probably not the worst thing to worry about. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got the neoprene gaskets and had an A&P install them while I watched. He told me he felt it would fall under owner preventative maintenance. I guess each their own. After seeing it done it's pretty straight forward. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 9:04 PM, paulie said:

Having had a few insurance claims in my years in aviation I"ve never found this to be the case. They only want to see it was annualled. I think the only time this would be an issue is if the FAA found this was a cause. Even when I had a catastrophic engine failure the FAA only wanted to see evidence of annual. Once they saw it was a defect from Lycoming they totally lost interest and 6 months later literally destroyed the records of the investigation (I have a letter from the FAA confirming this).

-Robert

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I just received a self addressed stamped envelope with $5 enclosed from Jared in Ohio, but there were no instructions included.  

If requesting the small fluorosilicone O-rings for the fuel caps they are free (no payment required, but please check with me to make sure I still have them in stock before sending the envelope).

My problem is that I give away a few other things, and also make and sell some small parts for guns and sailplanes. So, Jared, if you are reading this, please let me know what you would like to order.

Thanks much, 

bumper

• 4 years later...
10 hours ago, Aaron Q said:

Thanks for sharing this info, it was very helpful.  I just ordered the o rings from aircraft spruce. 

@OSUAV8TER sells fluorosilicone rings that might last longer.  Feels like I tag him so much I should be getting a commission!  But I'll settle for Whelen making our LED recog and wingtip/rear-facing position lights :) 

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/products.html

• Like 1

The only problem with the fluorosilicone rings is that it is my understanding that the annual inspection requires that they be inspected. They have to be disassembled to inspect, and it is about as easy to replace them as to inspect them. Do the IAs just replace them, and you lose the effect of getting longer-life rings, or do you tell him to leave them in there unless he finds a flaw in them?

31 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

The only problem with the fluorosilicone rings is that it is my understanding that the annual inspection requires that they be inspected. They have to be disassembled to inspect, and it is about as easy to replace them as to inspect them. Do the IAs just replace them, and you lose the effect of getting longer-life rings, or do you tell him to leave them in there unless he finds a flaw in them?

Where would this sort of inspection requirement be documented?  

Edited by DCarlton

27 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Don, AD 85-24-03 only requires an annual visual inspection in accordance with SBM20-229. The Mooney SB only requires visual inspection of the large o-ring, so disassembly is not required. The SB also contains instructions for lubrication, adjustment and pressure testing, but these actions are not referenced in the AD.

SKIP

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PT20J said:

Don, AD 85-24-03 only requires an annual visual inspection in accordance with SBM20-229. The Mooney SB only requires visual inspection of the large o-ring, so disassembly is not required. The SB also contains instructions for lubrication, adjustment and pressure testing, but these actions are not referenced in the AD.

SKIP

So, no disassembly is required? 

I don't think I have ever had the large one leak, but the inside one did once.

If you spray a bit of Tri-flow on the shaft and work it a few times every so often it keeps the center o-ring lubricated and pliable. If you keep some vasiline or DC-4 on the large o-ring, it also makes it last longer. I tried EZ Turn, which lasts longer, but it’s too sticky. A lot of mechanics take the easy way out and just replace them every year. I had the black ones on my first plane for 7 years and kept them lubricated and they never were a problem. You can tell when they’re shot — they develop radial cracks.

Skip