Sun N Fun 2013

Currently planning to come in on Thursday the 11th and leave on Sat the 13th.  Got a hotel in Lakeland...this old bod just doesn't like the camping thing anymore! Hope to see some folks.

Currently planning to come in on Thursday the 11th and leave on Sat the 13th.  Got a hotel in Lakeland...this old bod just doesn't like the camping thing anymore! Hope to see some folks.

I was going to see about bumming a ride with you, but my wife told me we're going to Cordele with some friends that weekend.

He could walk over, and will probably be working the Falcon booth again.

You having identity issues again, Allen? :rolleyes:

I was playing around the with forum configuration stuff. It's a good thing the users here are well behaved. Something like this would not fly on a big forum. 

If you fly in don't forget your tie-downs, if you do the ones they rent for $15 are completely useless.  I was there during the big storm two years ago and I can vouch that 'the claw" worked better than other styles.  Fortunately my airplane was inside inside a Signature hangar at KISM.   Also if it is hot and your airplane tends to overheat during a prolonged taxiing don't try to leave just after the show because it is a long way from the tie-down area to the take off, most of the times from Rwy 9. 

I was planning on a day trip from our home in SE Alabama. Fly down Saturday morning early, spend the day, fly back that night.

Any suggestions on where to park, advice, etc is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

We were planning on leaving Elba early Saturday morning and then fly back Sunday.

I was planning on a day trip from our home in SE Alabama. Fly down Saturday morning early, spend the day, fly back that night.

Any suggestions on where to park, advice, etc is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony, that's an easy trip. I've done the day trip from Atlanta two or three times, and if you get good weather you are treated to a beautiful sunrise on the way there and a great sunset on the way home. You should just fly right in Lakeland, as has been noted in this thread it's really not as challenging and scary as some people make it out to be. Just read the NOTAM and follow it and you'll be fine. Have a printed sign that says GAP (General Aircraft Parking) and you will be directed to your parking area once you land.  It is really easy and a lot of fun.

Too bad the Thunderbirds have canceled their shows...but that's another thread (that I started!).

I was thinking a 0430-0500CDT departure would put us at lakeland around 0800EDT is that early enough to avoid the rush?

We will probably leave around 6:00.  Have you thought about camping Saturday night?  There is usually a night airshow that is pretty good.

Camping by the plane!!! For those who don't think camping is for them, just try it one time. You will really get a lot more out of the experience. For what a hotel cost for 1 night you can buy a camping setup.

There was a couple that came through this way once in a Grumman Goose all decked out like a small camper.  Can you imagine?  A flying camper ready to camp by land or by sea.  That's the way to retire and see the country!

What days are most of you going to be at sun n fun. Maybe we can all meet at one of the pavilions and have a drink and share some stories. I will be there from Thursday thru Saturday. I know there was a large food and drink area across from the Bose pavilion last year.

• 4 weeks later...

So... my buddy who shipped his/our tent and camping stuff to LAL has learned the service (FedEx?) can't find the shipment and does not expect to be able to find in time. We have reserved rooms in Lakeland instead of camping but my plane will still be parked in the VAC area and I'd be happy to see any Mooney folks there. We'll arrive early Wed and leave late Thursday, D.V.

I assume I'll be able to get fueled at my parking space. Anyone have advice on SOP?