Sun N Fun 2013

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn/EventActivitiesAndSchedules/Airshow.aspx

April 9 thru 14...

Getting the discussion started.

Are you going?

Are you camping?

Where is the best $100 hotel room, and how do you get there, by cab or rental car?

I'm thinking Hampton Inn in Winterhaven...

Your thoughts?

Best regards,

-a-

You going Chris????   My friends in the Yaks are going down , and they party hard.....I havent committed yet.....Was offered a ride down in a Yak , but flat out refused......7 hours sitting on a parachute sucks at best!!!!

Will definitely be going.  We will be staying at Lake Roy, about 20 to 30 minutes away.  Will there be any get togethers with all the Mooney pilots?  Post it, if there is.  Thanks.

You going Chris???? My friends in the Yaks are going down , and they party hard.....I havent committed yet.....Was offered a ride down in a Yak , but flat out refused......7 hours sitting on a parachute sucks at best!!!!

I do intend to go. This will be my 1st trip to SnF. I am hoping to determine what type of wass units will be available besides Garmin. Should be lots of hands on. Anyone know the closest hotel to the field? Preferably something like Comfort suites?

Chris , call me we usually have a house ,

Maybe we have have a Mooney party there B) Everybody chips in $10...in advance!

I can't imagine flying in this year if there is no control tower operating or extra controllers on the ground. :mellow:

I should be there, but I'll probably drive since it's in my backyard. I did the arrival one year and that was enough for me. I feel like a day of sun-n-fun is more than enough for me. Then again, it's more like a state fair for me than a camp. 

Hmmm I'm thinking about it. As long as someone promises there won't be any tornados!

I was there that year, but won't be this year. We have a trip planned starting on the 26th, and both just won't work.

Sometimes luck plays a large factor. My plane is in the foreground; my left main rolled forward ~4"; the two planes to my right both rolled forward several feet before the one on my right wing broke loose. Wish I could have seen them lift it off!

post-6921-0-03351500-1362507313_thumb.jp

A person at our airport had spent 15 years building a almost perfect Acey Ducey. It was judged a couple of hrs before the storm came through. It won Grand Champion Plans Built and was flipped upside down and wings torn off about an hr later. He spent the next 1.5 years rebuilding it. Its back flying now. Its the yellow Acey Ducey.

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/FlyIn/EventActivitiesAndSchedules/aircraftJudging/2011-Judging-Awards.aspx

I'm curious why many people are not wanting to fly directly into Lakeland?  I've done it several times and found it to be very well organized and streamlined.  I've never had anything even remotely close.  Just read and understand the arrival procedures ahead of time and don't be trying to figure them out as you are arriving.

I'm curious why many people are not wanting to fly directly into Lakeland?  I've done it several times and found it to be very well organized and streamlined.  I've never had anything even remotely close.  Just read and understand the arrival procedures ahead of time and don't be trying to figure them out as you are arriving.

I'm a 3000 PIC first timer. With a CFII in the right seat so I don't mind busy. But I suppose there are blocks of time when arrivals and departure are permitted? Can you go in for a couple of days and get out? I see my '66E is a "vintage" aircraft in their parking definition. Is that a good parking area?

Bob,

I consider a right-seater imperative for flying the Lake Parker arrival, just as I'm told it is strongly recommended for Osh. I had 430 hours when I left home for LAL, you should do fine.

Print out the NOTAM, highlight the relevant parts, read the whole thing through a few times including just before departure. The field closes daily for the airshow, times are in the NOTAM. We left late while waiting for fog to burn off, so had a leisurely lunch at our fuel stop somewhere in south Georgia [don't arrive at the Lake without lots of fuel] and timed our arrival for just as the field was re-opening.

Heard planes making laps around the lake while descending; as I was leveling off and slowing down ~10 miles east of Lake Parker, the first planes were sent on toward the field. When I heard "Red & white Mooney, drop your gear" as I flew over the power plant, I dropped the gear and was instructed to follow a gaggle of RVs on the approach. [Cool! No holding around the lake! don't count on this.] Just don't expect the planes in front and behind you to fly straight, level or turn at the correct points. The digital photos of the route make it simple.

Most GA planes will land on the colored dots on the taxiway [9L/27R]. While on short final behind the weaving and bobbing RVs, I was instructed to "sidestep to 27R, the wide runway" and flew ~5000' at 20' agl with frequent assurances 'red & white Mooney, you're doing good, don't land yet' until I passed the crosswind runway. Then taxied forever to reach GAC at the approach end of 9. Camped out with friends in the campground instead of behind the plane [our tent mixed well with the RVs and campers!].

Would like to go but work will not let me I'll be in the middle of a major outage.  Have fun and be safe.  When I do finally maek it I'll most likely just go stay with my daughter in ORL and drive down for a day.  Though I'd love to camp next to the plane.

I'm a 3000 PIC first timer. With a CFII in the right seat so I don't mind busy. But I suppose there are blocks of time when arrivals and departure are permitted? Can you go in for a couple of days and get out? I see my '66E is a "vintage" aircraft in their parking definition. Is that a good parking area?

The 1st time I flew in I had 67 hrs. I had flew in a couple of times before getting my license with a friend and new what to expect.  I also had another similar time pilot in the front with me and we had planned out who was supposed to to what.  You basically don't say anything on the radio, just listen and the spotters on the ground will direct you.  The pictures you see in the notom show exactly what you will see in the air.  I don't want to talk anyone in to doing they are uncomfortable with, but we have always been prepared and new what to expect and it was always a non event.  Do you have anyone who could ride down with you.  Perhaps there is another member on here who you could pick up on the way down to help as a spotter?

We have always camped in either the Vintage or GA area.  Leaving is easy, just get in line and wait your turn.  When you arrive you need to have some kind of sign made that tells them what area you need to park in.

II flew into Peter Knight when I had someone pick me up.  THen  I stayed in Bradenton using some Marriott points.  A few years later I flew into Vandenberg and got a rental car.  Still stayed in Bradenton since it was so much cheaper and really not that far from SNF.  Plus the restaurants were not crowded and it was close to the airplane to take my treasures there after purchase.

BILL

I did the lake Parker holding years ago in my 201 and that is the closest I have been to many potential midair collisions.  Several dozens airplanes of all sizes and speeds going around that small lake for more than half an hour was too much for me.  And I was a lot younger then.  I'll be there this year but will land at Kissimmee and stay at one of the nearby inexpensive motels.  Plenty of rental cars at the local FBOs and no need to make a reservation.  If you choose Signature, every year they offer a substantial discount over their regular fuel price but make sure they'll do that again this year.  It is about 35-40' to LKL but with a car full of friends the time goes by quickly.  

I've flown in many times, and it usually isn't too bad, just keep your eyes outside, your head on a swivel, and be familiar with the approach procedures. The worst part is the inexperienced volunteer line people and the extensive grass taxi trips, oh, and sometimes the WX.

Now, how about the MooneySpace get together/party?

I'll be there in N231NJ.  Planning to campout Thurs-Sat. I avoid the first day rush and normal everyday rush-hour right before and after the airshow.  Early morning (8AM) arrivals are hassle free and always a lot of parking space.  Be prepared for bad weather and have a plan to re-position your airplane to another airport if needed. Hope to catch-up with other Mooney jockeys!!!