Airplane Covers - Which one is best?

N601RX

I have cabin covers (with N number embroided !) but I never used them when I travel occasionaly.

Unless you leave the plane outside for an extended period of time, I am not sure you get your money worth. In my case, it is rare when I stay in one place more than an overnight.

I do use a lot those reflectors you put on the inside on the windows. Keeps the interior cool.

I just received my Bruce's cover and it is very well made,heavy duty and high quality! I travel to the hot desert a lot just for the day I like to cover the entire cabin to keep the sun out and so i can leave the little pilot window open and the baggage door popped slightly for ventilation. The cover adds a little security as well. It is a little on the bulky and heavier side than I expected but I have nothing to compare it to. I might have considered something with a little less weight and bulk for my needs but couldn't be happier with the construction and quality.

You can search this site for both. West coast has more experience with Bruce. east coast has the same with planecovers.com

http://planecover.com/low_wing_covers.htm

That's my Mooney after a storm that flipped a couple planes across the tarmac. The ground is still wet. I was impressed by it's performance, so I sent Jim Cancil a photo.

I first bought a cover from Jim for my 65C. It lasted 10+ years. It went back to the factory once to get the seems re-sewn.

I think I spoke with Jim twice, and a few emails at most. But I still remember his name. I've impressed myself!

They were strong enough to last a long time outside. Light and easy enough to use all of the time...

Best regards,

-a-

Bruce's has been great to work with. I've had three covers from them and they fit snug and are very sturdy. Great customer service as well...one of the covers I got from them I inherited with the plane (my old Warrior), and it was starting to come apart at the seams (after 5 years). Even though I was not the original purchaser they took it back and resewed it without any question or charge.

Unfortunately I did not have a good experience with Bruce.  I believe that my experience is not the norm for them and many have received a good product from them. 

My first cover fit very poorly with wings, baggage door handle panel, antenna's and windshield/cowl seam not lining up along with short straps and some straps installed at a odd angle. Basically fitting it on the plane I had to choose what one spot I wanted fit nice while sacrificing fit in many other areas.  I also ordered the extended cover and they sent me an extra-extended cover along with the upcharge.  To be for certain about the poor fit, I asked them to look at it at Oshkosh.  After they looked at it, I was told it was way off and they provided a shipping call tag to send it back.  They tailored it and shortened it to match the original order and got the general fit closer.  Too bad they placed the pocket for the rear antenna 12 inches too far forward.  They also decided to replace some fabric panels and removed the optional Velcro access seam that allows access to enter the cockpit without removing the cover.  This change went against my original order.  So back it went again.

At this point Bruce covers decided to remake the entire cover.  When #3 showed up the boot for the rear antenna was removed and a cutout was placed to wrap around it with a strap to secure it.  I decided to keep the third one to avoid the chance of them causing another problem when trying to fix a previous mistake.  So I basically have a cover that has one antenna boot and one antenna cutout, no cabin door access flap and front straps secured at a odd angle.

A real sad thing I just came across.  Bruce covers has decided to use the pictures, they took at Osh, of my first cover, that they said was "way off", in one of their flyers. 

https://www.aircraftcovers.com/model_pdf.php?p1=M201

FYI Bruce covers, the pictures of my plane have an extra-extended cover on it.  Please correct the picture description.

Hard to see the issues I have stated in the pictures.  Looks good from 25ft away!

I hope others have better luck than me!

I like my Plane Cover. Maybe tomorrow I will remember my camera to attach pictures. I parked beside an Eagle with a Bruce cover, and can't remember how well the Eagle shows up. Side by side, there was no comparison. Hands down, Plane Cover.

Here's a teaser of just mine, while traveling.

post-6921-0-73025300-1361900498_thumb.jp

No door opening in the cover. Would be nice, I seem to forget glasses and/or camera when exiting the plane away from home. The cover came with the plane when I bought it in 07, and holds up well. The plane is hangared at home, and the cover has a very nice zip case; it usually rides atop the luggage heap to hold things down.

P.S.--the windows in the photo are difficult to see out of, thus the different appearance in the avatar, taken during departure.

• 5 years later...

I was really impressed with Bruce.  I had one of their covers from my old C, and tried to fit it on my J.  The fit was good, but an antenna was preventing the cover from sitting correctly.  I called Bruces to see if there was anything I could do.  The had me ship them the cover, and fill out a new worksheet indicating where the antenna was.  They added a zip up portion to the end of the cover allowing proper fit on my J.  They also added snaps to the front straps, and a some screws with the receiving end of the snaps for my cowling.  All for free, within a week, and even covered the cost to ship back to me.  If I ever need a new cover, it'll be one from Bruce.

• Like 1