How to restore wing walk compound?

I used that stuff years ago.  It is really gooey and hard to brush on. Since you have a base i would apply one coat but I would dilute it otherwise the brush strokes show a lot (because it is hard to spread) and the finished product  does not look nice.  Also I would try to test if it can be applied with a stiff roller, perhaps if diluted it will go down more evenly.   If you don't think one diluted coat is enough you then can go for a second one.  Good luck, send pictures of the finished job.

So the black wing walk compound on my 64 M20E is faded and gray.  Can I just paint over it with a fresh coat of compound?  If so, how should I prep the old compound.

Would this work?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/randolphwingwalk.php

Thanks!

I just applied this product to my C as mine was faded as well.  I went to Home Depot and bought the small 4" x 2" roller and applied it without thinning.  I applied one coat onto the existing material and it looked good.  I masked with some high quality masking tape.  I took care to run tape just outside the existing non-skid paint to get as good a seal as possible. 

Don

I just applied this product to my C as mine was faded as well.  I went to Home Depot and bought the small 4" x 2" roller and applied it without thinning.  I applied one coat onto the existing material and it looked good.  I masked with some high quality masking tape.  I took care to run tape just outside the existing non-skid paint to get as good a seal as possible. 

Don

How much of the 1Qt did you use?

you need a lot less than a qt but i believe the minimum you can get is a qt.

it is a very easy job

strip the old wingwalk with paint remover

remove any corrosion

apply / spray primer

paint with a nice quality brush ( that would not shed)

2 things to watch: make sure you protect the paint in the rest of the aircraft and stir the compound very well as the sand tend to settle

I bought that stuff for my mooney.  The old wingwalk was grayed and had a few oily spots.  I used blue painters tape to mark the edges.  Mix it well.  The gritty stuff settles to the bottom.  I didn't dilute mine.  I poured it into a plastic container and used a roller and paintbrush that I planned to throw away.  Pretty simple and looks great.  

As far as prepping, I just washed the old stuff with soap/water to remove any oily and dirt.

My wingwalk was completely redone when I had the tanks resealed. There's an access panel under it near the front, so something needed to be done. While I cannot provide details of the "what," I can say that there is no trace of gaps, cracks or a height difference around that access panel. Before that, it was fairly gray and I had thought about repainting, now I don't need to think about it for several more years.

My wingwalk was completely redone when I had the tanks resealed. There's an access panel under it near the front, so something needed to be done. While I cannot provide details of the "what," I can say that there is no trace of gaps, cracks or a height difference around that access panel. Before that, it was fairly gray and I had thought about repainting, now I don't need to think about it for several more years.

Is that access panel only used when repairing fuel tanks, or is it opened during an annual inspection?

I use this textured spray paint from Home Depot. It has a finer grain than traditional wing walk compound but to me it looks better and less coarse. All you need to do is sand or remove the old coating and apply this one. The grip is as good as the old but the looks to  me is better.

For those non-English speakers I added Spanish labels "NO PISE" on the flaps. I have a couple more like "NO FUME". For the English speakers I have one that says "Se Habla Ingles"

José 

post-6932-0-65167800-1361570324_thumb.jp

post-6932-0-29949100-1361570392_thumb.jp

I'm going to touch up my wing walk. My A&P says use a roller, not a brush.

I re-coated my wing walk this afternoon. Washed, dried, masked around the edges and used a small paint roller. Quick and easy. Be sure to thoroughly mix the grit in the finish since it rapidly settles out.

post-8913-0-82629800-1362024852_thumb.jp

post-8913-0-94164500-1362024905_thumb.jp

post-8913-0-11889000-1362024938_thumb.jp

• Like 1