Mooney Rentals

Cruiser

On 12/15/2016 at 9:47 PM, LmannyR said:

Thanks!! Been lurking for a year....  or so....

Wanting to get into a J or a TN or a K..

Why don't you post a proper hello on the main page, let us know where you are located and some mission info. You will get an earful  

df

22 hours ago, carusoam said:

Insurance statisticians have a way of taking the wind out of some really interesting ideas...

In 2006, business was good, I thought about buying a King Air 200...Insurance agent said if I wanted to fly single pilot even once during the term my policy would go up $17,000 extra per year.  I recognized that to be a statistical clue.  

• Like 1

If you are in the Bay Area of California, we have a 201J w GTN 750, GTX345, firewall forward overhauled or replaced 350 hours ago, new interior, etc, etc for $149/hr wet.  Several local instructors available.  Any questions, just ask.  It's my plane that I have on leaseback to my club.  

Tim

• 3 months later...

Looks like this is the thread to ask in.

Any M20Js available with an instructor(or alternatively an instructor with a plane...) in Oregon or N.California. I'm working on purchasing a plane out in Texas, but as I'll need 6 more hours make and model to meet the insurance company requirements I'd like to find someplace I can do those hours focused on training instead of trying to do them as part of bringing the aircraft back.

On 12/18/2016 at 10:30 PM, helitim said:

If you are in the Bay Area of California, we have a 201J w GTN 750, GTX345, firewall forward overhauled or replaced 350 hours ago, new interior, etc, etc for $149/hr wet.  Several local instructors available.  Any questions, just ask.  It's my plane that I have on leaseback to my club.  

Tim

I haven't rented in years, but that sounds like a great price.

On 2/22/2013 at 10:33 AM, RJBrown said:

Pet peeve warning.

Moonies are the followers of Sun Myung Moon's Unification church.

Mooniacs are probably more cultish than you are willing to admit :blink:

Steve,

Your situation is a common challenge when buying a Mooney.

The thread you are looking for will contain the words Transition Training in it.

The MAPA group publishes a list of Mooney CFIs.  And the list can be found in an online Mooney publication called the Mooney Flyer(?) or something like that.  (Memory challenged)

Searchng around here for those items should yield what you are looking for.

TT is pretty flexible.  You can spend some time around the airport doing the usual takeoff and landing things, Steep turns and go arounds. Then cap it off with the long X-country back home.

If you have your IR, this is a great way of using all the nav equipment in a safe environment.

How does that sound? I brought my O back home this way. What was planned as a two day trip turned into a three day trip with a closed airport while we were getting fuel...  stuff happens. Plan for it.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

That's pretty much what I'm trying to avoid, the problem with having a CFI if I'm delayed who needs to be put on an airline flight or returned to his regular job. Not to mention there are about 6 stops I'd like to make on the way home to see coworkers I never see because I work remote.

So I'm leaning towards finding a local CFI wherever I pick it up and do an additional day there.

On 12/18/2016 at 7:30 PM, helitim said:

Tim

That is amazing!! That's about what the local FBOs normally charge for a 172 in Norcal.

Example...

1 - Cessna 172 (Full IFR, DME, GPS-Garmin GX 55) - $130.00

1 - Cessna 172 (Full IFR, DME, Autopilot, GPS-Garmin GX 65) - $137.00

2 - Cessna 172 (Full IFR; DME, Garmin GNS 430WAAS)- $137.00

1 - Cessna 172 (Full IFR, DME, Garmin GNS 430WAAS) - $142.00

1 - Cessna 172 (Full IFR, DME, Garmin GNS 750WAAS,ADS-B OUT&IN) - $185.00

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

46 minutes ago, Steve W said:

That's pretty much what I'm trying to avoid, the problem with having a CFI if I'm delayed who needs to be put on an airline flight or returned to his regular job. Not to mention there are about 6 stops I'd like to make on the way home to see coworkers I never see because I work remote.

So I'm leaning towards finding a local CFI wherever I pick it up and do an additional day there.

Just be careful to select a CFI with real Mooney experience. Some of the most frightening stories I"ve heard in aviation have been fellow CFIs teaching in Mooneys they didn't have any place being in. 

-Robert

When I bought my first Mooney in '84 I only had 5 hours of Mooney time with an instructor. This consisted of flying one long leg of a trip to Oshkosh with three others and a crazy flight instructor. The plane was about 200 Lbs. over gross. I found this trip on a bulletin board and didn't know any of these people. While sitting in the back seat being bored, I did a weight and balance. I tapped the instructor on the shoulder and told him we were over gross. He told me to shut up and it would be fine.

Anyway, I did a 10 minute flight with the dealer and made an offer. I spent the next two weeks trying to find financing, which I finally did. I called the insurance company and they happily sold me insurance. I had about 400 hours in the last year in a Cardinal RG and they said that was enough along with my two Mooney flights. At this point I had landed a Mooney exactly twice (Both greasers). I picked up the Mooney at the Boulder CO. airport and flew it across town to the Aurora airport. The next day a friend and I left after work for a night flight to Oshkosh! Other than the transponder (which wasn't required at the time) everything worked fine! Oh, to be young and bullet proof again.

I guess the insurance companies are a bit more concerned these days.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve W said:

Any M20Js available with an instructor(or alternatively an instructor with a plane...) in Oregon or N.California. I'm working on purchasing a plane out in Texas, but as I'll need 6 more hours make and model to meet the insurance company requirements I'd like to find someplace I can do those hours focused on training instead of trying to do them as part of bringing the aircraft back.

Here is a viable option, maybe. 

www.florisflightservices.com

Here is a complany that has a nice O2 rental at Midland/Odessa Spacepark in west Texas. Not sure what you are buying, but you could do your concentrated training with Floris and their CFII, have them fly you to your new purchase closing, then fly home. :) 

Good luck. 

55 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

When I bought my first Mooney in '84 I only had 5 hours of Mooney time with an instructor. This consisted of flying one long leg of a trip to Oshkosh with three others and a crazy flight instructor. The plane was about 200 Lbs. over gross. I found this trip on a bulletin board and didn't know any of these people. While sitting in the back seat being bored, I did a weight and balance. I tapped the instructor on the shoulder and told him we were over gross. He told me to shut up and it would be fine.

Anyway, I did a 10 minute flight with the dealer and made an offer. I spent the next two weeks trying to find financing, which I finally did. I called the insurance company and they happily sold me insurance. I had about 400 hours in the last year in a Cardinal RG and they said that was enough along with my two Mooney flights. At this point I had landed a Mooney exactly twice (Both greasers). I picked up the Mooney at the Boulder CO. airport and flew it across town to the Aurora airport. The next day a friend and I left after work for a night flight to Oshkosh! Other than the transponder (which wasn't required at the time) everything worked fine! Oh, to be young and bullet proof again.

I guess the insurance companies are a bit more concerned these days.

! Oh, to be young and bullet proof again.

Ahmen.

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Just be careful to select a CFI with real Mooney experience. Some of the most frightening stories I"ve heard in aviation have been fellow CFIs teaching in Mooneys they didn't have any place being in. 

Yea, the plane being in Texas at least makes that part much easier, being in the middle of Mooneyland-USA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

www.florisflightservices.com

Here is a complany that has a nice O2 rental at Midland/Odessa Spacepark in west Texas. Not sure what you are buying, but you could do your concentrated training with Floris and their CFII, have them fly you to your new purchase closing, then fly home. :) 

The slide deck regarding the operation of the Ovation is interesting. It's not exactly how I'd run my Mooney, but probably very appropriate for a rental.  I'm curious how many pilots are actually checked out to fly rent the Ovation.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

The slide deck regarding the operation of the Ovation is interesting. It's not exactly how I'd run my Mooney, but probably very appropriate for a rental.  I'm curious how many pilots are actually checked out to fly rent the Ovation.

You are right . Kind of makes you go hmmmmm. He is an MS'er. We can ask him. 

On 4/3/2017 at 2:29 PM, Steve W said:

There is an F at wvfc in San Carlos, which should count for hours and a K at advantage, in Palo Alto which will also work for insurance hours.

both of those are in Northern California 

Edited by jrwilson

Thunderbird Aviation at Flying Cloud in Minneapolis (Eden Prairie) had a J and a flight school.  I took some lessons in that J several years ago.  They don't always have it available for rent because, believe it or not, there is not enough demand.  Call ahead and ask.  They have some really excellent instructors by the way, and provide the instruction for one of our local technical colleges.

This poor guy had 186 hours total time and rented a Mooney up north somewhere and it got away from him. I'm not saying that you shouldn't rent or anything like that (that's about how much time I had when I bought my Mooney), but it looks like this guy was not on top of his speeds. He approached too fast, went around too late, and it's pretty apparent he stalled it in the climb with inadequate rudder and augered in. This incident was completely avoidable and I suspect that it was similar to a member here that we lost back in 2012. 

I'm not posting this to be a jerk, but I'm posting it to share the factors that led up to incident so that if you find yourself in a similar circumstance that you might identify it sooner. I suspect that pilot would still be with us if he recognized the situation earlier or didn't attempt to climb as aggressively. 

• 10 months later...