Intro, background and a few questions

Joe Minor

I’ve been reading the forum here for a month or so now and the information has been invaluable and answered a lot of questions.  But like all areas life I’ve found that the more I learn the more I realize I don’t know.

I’m an Army Experimental Test Pilot currently deployed in Afghanistan flying helicopters (UH-60M and AH-64D).  I have about 1800 total hours, but only just over 100 in fixed wing aircraft (30-C172, 30-C182, 30-King Air 200, 25 – misc).  I have my Commercial-Instrument Multi-Engine rating via military equivalency, but still need to pick up my ASEL commercial since I never received a single engine military qualification.

I’m about a month from redeploying back to Huntsville, AL and am planning on purchasing a plane shortly after returning (what else would I do with saved deployment money?).  I’ll be in Huntsville until late summer when I’ll be moving out to the Bay Area to work at Moffett field for the next 2-3 years.   I’ve run the spreadsheets and weighed intangibles and decided that I “need” a Mooney.  My usage would be 300-500NM trips about 1.5 times per month out of the bay area, 70%-solo, 25% 2-adults, 5%- 3 or 4 adults.  Originally I’d thought an early J model would be ideal, but after looking at hanger waits/cost in the Bay Area and then working in a good emergency maintenance fund I think a C/E/F around $50k is better suited for me.   Current list of “must haves” include standard 6 pack instruments, AP with altitude hold, basic GPS, Dual VOR/ILS.

Aside from comments and thoughts about the above logic I have some specific questions:

• Which Airport in the Bay Area would you recommend?

Right now Livermore (LVK) looks like a good choice, it’s a bit of a drive, but has reasonable tie down/hangar /fuel costs and an ILS, also most of my flights will be north to Oregon so it gets me out of the SFO area.  Hayward (HWD) came out second on the spreadsheet.

• I’d like to get a few hours training in a Mooney prior to purchasing, is there anyone who instructs in a Mooney in the Nashville-Birmingham-Atlanta area?

I’m sure I’ll think of more, thank you in advance for the help.

Respectfully,

Joe

Dear Joe,

Welcome to the side...It is indeed a great place to discuss mooneys and to seek advice. I have received great advice from the group. My mission is similar to yours and my bird a M20C (a 1970 model) satisfies it perfectly well. It is a very stable IFR platform and maintenance is not too expensive. It is also fun to mention to other pilots that you cruise at 140kts consuming just 8 to 9 gph... that freaks them out!

On the down side, the back seats are rather small... So if you want to take an adult with you... I would just recommend it for a short trip...

Look at the pictures in the gallery for options on what people have done to their birds.

Once again Joe, welcome, it is a great bunch of people that you have just joined.

Oscar 

Hey, Joe. I'm a software engineer on the arsenal. I work on the OH-58 D/F cockpit procedures trainer. I just bought a Mooney, and the CFII I'm getting instruction from is also a Mooney owner, works on base AND is an instructor at the flying activity. The way I read my insurance, my instructor could take you up in my plane if you want. No instruction could technically take place, but you could certainly get a feel for it.

Reid Hillview is nice, I based my 20C there when i worked at Moffett. No ILS, but the weather is a bit better there and the drive isn't too bad.  Of course, for proximity to Moffett, you can't beat Palo Alto, but again, no ILS and it is a bit pricey. A fun little airport though.   That drive to Livermore would get real old real quick for me...

Joe:

I base my J at KRHV. It all depends on where you are going to live and how you get to work. If you live in Livermore and can fly your plane to Moffett, great. One thing you do NOT want to do is have to commute by car between Livermore and Moffett. The drive is simply awful, and can take well over an hour during commute times.

Years ago, the waiting list for a hanger at KRHV was years long. The economy has reduced that to 0 to 2 months. When I got my plane last year I kept it in a shelter a couple months till a hanger opened up. You can call the airport manager to check on the current hanger situation, 408 918-7700, ask for Chris.

KRHV has a GPS LPV approach.

Larry

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and the feedback. I have a lot to learn before I finally pull the trigger and buy a plane but at least it sounds like I'm on the right track at least. I'll continue to "scrub" the forum for answers before I post new questions.

I think I'll wait on a final base airfield decision until I figure out where I'm going to live. Hopefully getting out there on the ground will make that decision a little easier.

Not that I need another reason to look forward to redeployment, but buying and flying a Mooney is definitely adding to the desire to get back to the States.