Power Settings and Setup For Maneuvers

joegoersch

I'm going to try to get my CFI in my M20J.  I'm starting to practice maneuvers , specifically Steep Turns, Steep Spirals, Lazy Eights, Chandelles, Eights on Pylons, and Slow Flight (clean and dirty).

Can anyone suggest, as a starting point, power (prop setting and manifold pressure) that works well for these maneuvers ? 

Thanks! :)

I do my maneuvers at or below Va. Pick something comfortable in that range. What do you use for an approach? Try that as a starter. For my C, it's typically 2300 and 20" or less when playing at 3000' msl; yours will be different. For instance, top of the white arc is 2300/19" clean, and I reduce to about 16" to slow to 90 knots; drop Approach flaps and I'm back to 19"; drop gear and I'm descending in a very ILS-like manner.

I'm going to try to get my CFI in my M20J.  I'm starting to practice maneuvers , specifically Steep Turns, Steep Spirals, Lazy Eights, Chandelles, Eights on Pylons, and Slow Flight (clean and dirty).

Can anyone suggest, as a starting point, power (prop setting and manifold pressure) that works well for these maneuvers ? 

Thanks! :)

Steep turns: Remember, you need to be below Va for your given weight.  I don't know how much your plane weighs and its limits.  IIRC, I used about 18" and 2500 RPM which yielded me about 110-115 KIAS when heavy.  But it's been awhile and I haven't taught the commercial maneuvers in an M20J in awhile.

Steep spirals are going to be done with the power off, so just use a really low power setting so you can decelerate to speeds appropriate for landing gear extension.

Every airframe is different.  You need to just go up alone and climb to an altitude you plan to maneuver at for your local flying.  Then figure out what kind of power reductions it takes to slow down in an efficient way.  Figure out what power settings give you the speeds you need.