Electric Tug and Tow Bar Recommendations

SkyBound

Bringing my new M20K home for the first time I was surprised by the difference that the extra few hundred pounds makes in moving the airplane compared to my M20C.  Also transitioning from a tie-down to a hangar with an incline, I realized that there was no way I could push the plane up into the hangar on my own without another person or a tug.  The culprit is also a short tow bar that came with the airplane, that makes it very difficult to turn reaching underneath the three-bladed prop. Now I am on a mission to find a tug and a replacement tow bar.

After doing some research I have narrowed it down to a few of these electric tug models.  I believe that the electric tug is most maintenance free compared to a gas powered one and always ready as long as it stays plugged in between uses.  For the non-portable units, batteries can be replaced easily under $100 and are available locally.  In my research I seemed to gravitate towards the two-wheel models, vs. single wheeled Power Tow type design. 

Do the portable tugs that use a drill really work?  What if the tire is wet?  I have seen some posts siting that the best part of the deal is the drill since it can be reused, is that the opinion of most?  There is obvious value to travel with them, however since these cost just as much as the non-portable ones if I am planning to only use it in the hangar, is it worth it? 

I would love to hear your feedback, the model that you use, and recommendations/reviews for these tugs and tow bars if you have experience with them:

Electric Tugs:

Portable Tugs:

The popular Robotow:

http://www.robotow.com/index.php

Sidewinder from Red Line Aviation:

https://www.redlineaviation.com/mooney/sidewinder-mooney-airplanes/

Non-Portable Tugs:

The popular Power Tow Line:

http://www.powertow.com/POWERTOW-LINE-AIRCRAFT-TUGS_ep_28.html

The Aero-Tow E-200:

http://www.aero-tow.com/E200.html

AeroKART:

http://aerokarts.com/index.html

PricelessAviation 701 - the advantage of this one is that it has a swivel and does not have to be lifted to turn the airplane, but costs $1,000 more than the three above:

http://www.pricelessaviation.com/moving-equipment-tug701.html

Lindbergh Aircraft Tug Company - Lindy's AircraftCaddy 4K Jr - Does anyone have this tug?

http://www.lindbergh.com/aircraft-tug/airplane-tug.html

Any other models/recommendations for tugs that I should consider?

Tow Bars:

Simple Deluxe Tow Bar from Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/deluxe_towbars2.php

Bogert Aviation - Bogi-Bar - Seems to be the most logical alternative to what came with the Mooney:

http://bogertaviation.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=3&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=23

Fancy Tow Bar with an optional vehicle attachment from Red Line Aviation. Could be useful should one also tow with a golf cart or tractor:

https://www.redlineaviation.com/mooney/be-3-xl-mooney-airplanes/

Any other models/recommendations for tow bars that I should consider?

Thank you in advance.

--Alex

I use the Robotow, and I am very happy with it.  I have an incline into my hangar, and high hangar door tracks, and there is no problem with getting the airplane in and out.  I added wheels under the unit held on by large cable ties - the idea came from comments in Mooneyspace. Takes all the fight out of rolling it out to the airplane. When not in use I hang it on my hangar wall with a couple of U shaped clips.  Photo of Robotow hooked up to airplane shown below.

post-7730-0-35130400-1361045747_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Alex-

Congrats again on your new bird - can't wait to go flying with you.  

You know my opinions on tugs, but what I didn't mention is that most owners, just like aircraft, will let you know what they picked is what to go with.  Many of the tugs work, and personally I sometimes suffer from paralysis from analysis. 

The reason I like the powertow is because they do well in wet or bad weather as you just have to push down on them some, and physics wise, more weight equals more friction equals more traction (not quite the equation, but the logic).  

My old powertow that you saw was the EZ 35 model - there really is not clutch.  It runs at a constant speed, and you lift if off the ground to slow down progress when pushing.  The reason I use it is it was free and with a little elbow grease and the help of a mechanic, it works again!  I purchased the Mooney hookup for it from Powertow and got it working.  If it breaks, most likely I'll order a new powertow EZ 40.  

When I was in Minnesota Tim Lundquist of Strategic Aircraft showed me his EZ 40 and the improvements are substantial as there is a clutch and it just is much more nimble and easier to use.  I've never used a two wheel model, but probably would like that too.

Last suggestion is what we talked about which is to get an old tractor/lawnmower off craigslist for $100-$350 and then remove the broken cutting deck (why it's being sold cheap) and bolt an attachment point on.  Get a towbar, and boom, you have your own mini tug.  

I think Brett (bnicolette) used to have a similar tug setup - Brett - can you post a pic?   If anyone else has this sort of tug/tractor/riding mower setup, please do post.

Towbar-  The towbar that came with the Missile is adjustable (it expands).  The reason we had the short towbar is because it fits in our baggage compartments.  The long tow bar is good for steering, but is hard to leverage for pushing.  I've thought about getting a long one just for the hanger and leaving the adjustable one in the airplane for trips.

Good luck!

-Seth

• Like 3

Seth I have an ez35 as well, it didn't come with the airplane and I paid way to much for it, from the previous owner, had no clutch and the engine is garbage. Point of the story is I was putting the plane in the hangar one night and almost ran it into the back of the hangar, I called the EZ people and for $80 they sent me the cable and a belt to put the clutch system back together, way to much for what it was, but know the clutch does work. If I where do it all over again I think I would go the lawn tractor route.

I use the Redline Sidewinder. An awesome piece of equipment IMO. It is very light and compact when folded up. Real easy to put in the baggage compartment. It is expensive, no getting around that. I bought mine because I have a bad back and for me it is worth every penny because I can easily take it with me. My only complaint comes from the Milwaukee part of it. The batteries seem to be kind of crappy. I need a new one now as it won't hold much of a charge anymore.

If you do get one, make the mod I did to make taking the drill motor off the unit much easier. Basically, you trade the factory Allen bolt for a handle and you drill and tap a screw to retain the locking collar with a little screw. Below are pictures.

post-7392-0-43458900-1361077449_thumb.jp

post-7392-0-38609700-1361077491_thumb.jp

post-7392-0-91057600-1361077505_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I just push into the hangar, but rather than an incline, the hangars here have a grate at the doorway to prevent water from flowing in when it rains.  It does take a little extra 'oomph' to go over the tracks for the doors, but not insurmountable yet.

I have the aero-tow 200.  It is just OK on dry pavement but not great in snow or on wet surfaces. The batteries last a couple of years and cost less the $100 to replace.  Like the rest, I have an incline and a ridge right at the edge of the hanger that is a struggle when the plane is full of fuel. 

I think you should consider your operating environement and the weight of your particular plane.  I have long range fuel and TKS, so when it is all near full, the plane is heavy.  I would be better off with the lawn tractor or EZ40 option.  If the plane was lighter, I lived in the south, or the incline was modest, my current option may be fine. 

Seth I have an ez35 as well, it didn't come with the airplane and I paid way to much for it, from the previous owner, had no clutch and the engine is garbage. Point of the story is I was putting the plane in the hangar one night and almost ran it into the back of the hangar, I called the EZ people and for $80 they sent me the cable and a belt to put the clutch system back together, way to much for what it was, but know the clutch does work. If I where do it all over again I think I would go the lawn tractor route.

Mine was abandoned in the hanger I took over - it wasn't working and used ot hook up to a 182.  So, I figured I'd put it to use.  With the F, just like Alex's C, I could just muster up the strength to get it in and out of the hanger.  With the Missile, which is just a few hundred pounds more but makes a HUGE difference, I could just get it in my slight includine, but it was a LOT of work.  So, i fixed up the EZ 35.  If it breaks, I will very much get another tug.

-Seth

Now I know what to do with my old craftsman lawn tractor. But the $300 tow bar sound expensive (last entry on Alex's list)

https://www.redlineaviation.com/mooney/be-3-xl-mooney-airplanes/

Best regards,

-a-

When I was looking about a year and half ago, a tug tow bar that fit a Mooney was about $80.  This is the least expensive I could find just now on a quick search for $161.  That's double - tow bars are going up in price.  Maybe e-bay and find a used one?  I would say previously cherished, but tow bars are not treated like good used cars.

http://store.wagaero.com/product_info.php?products_id=9369

-Seth

Dave-

That redline sidewinder looks very cool - how does it do in snow/rain?

-Seth

Snow? What's snow? I know not of this snow you speak of. ;)  Seriously, I have never had the plane in snow, so I couldn't tell you. In the rain however, I can say that the drive wheel does tend to slip, so you have to push down harder. I am contemplating putting adhesive tread tape like they use on stairs and skateboards on the drive wheel. However, I have been cautioned by the Sidewinder people that this may cause premature nose tire wear. I guess it would depend on how much wet weather you would be using it in as to whether or not it would be worth it.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences and your wisdom. 

I had the opportunity to visit the Red Line Aviation facility today, meet the owner, and try the Sidewinder on his Bonanza in the rain.  The product handled very well and I am inclined to give it a try...

--Alex 

When I was looking about a year and half ago, a tug tow bar that fit a Mooney was about $80.  This is the least expensive I could find just now on a quick search for $161.  That's double - tow bars are going up in price.  Maybe e-bay and find a used one?  I would say previously cherished, but tow bars are not treated like good used cars.

http://store.wagaero.com/product_info.php?products_id=9369

-Seth

I bought Bogert's tow bar, about a year ago, and it is very well built and solid. These days, $94.50 at Spruce!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/bogibars2.php

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to visit the Red Line Aviation facility today, meet the owner, and try the Sidewinder on his Bonanza in the rain.  The product handled very well and I am inclined to give it a try...

--Alex 

You won't be sorry. It's a cool little contraption.

My hangar is in back of my house, so I just get my wife to open the hangar door, grab the bar and pull me in while I sit in the plane and make sure she doesn't hit the sides. I tell her it is good exercise. :)
For many......IMPOSSIBLE!
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...

After using Alex's Redline Sidewinder for the second time yesterday on my missile, I'm sold.  It moves the aircraft at a slow but constant pace.

You have to be careful to gently ramp it up and gently come off the drill actuator, It has good control, and moves the Mooney Missile just fine.  It's electric, no gas smell, easy to set up, and you can bring it with you if need be in your airplane. 

My tug is on it's last legs but still working.  It's a fixed up EZ 35 Powertow.  I may sell it soon and get the Redline Sidewinder.  The big negative is that you can't really use it to take your plane around the ramp - such as to self serve fuel or to the wash rack - but then again, you can always simply fire up the engine for that distnace and taxi.

-Seth

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 2/19/2013 at 11:01 PM, SkyBound said:

--Alex 

Alex

Any updates on this? I bought a two wheeled gas tug..could not steer it.  Tried to build one out of an electric wheel chair...it would not work in the rain or on smooth concrete.....so I am nor trying to decide wheather to buy an older Quad (atv) or go witht the sidewinder.   

I had a SuperTug3 which was overkill but great in that it doesn't turn the nose wheel.  With 11hp gas engine and several gears it will tow a Mooney up a vertical wall, almost.  

I use an electric nose dragger on the Ovation now & like it a lot -- but I did buy it used and modified it extensively.  Added big battery, a handle extension, electronic speed control, solar trickle charger.  Reliable, strong, quiet  & starts instantly.  Dual driven wheels with no differential makes it a bit hard to steer smoothly.  Pulls strong even on poor traction surfaces.  

http://dragger.com/nose-dragger-draggers/

8 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I had a SuperTug3 which was overkill but great in that it doesn't turn the nose wheel.  With 11hp gas engine and several gears it will tow a Mooney up a vertical wall, almost.  

I use an electric nose dragger on the Ovation now & like it a lot -- but I did buy it used and modified it extensively.  Added big battery, a handle extension, electronic speed control, solar trickle charger.  Reliable, strong, quiet  & starts instantly.  Dual driven wheels with no differential makes it a bit hard to steer smoothly.  Pulls strong even on poor traction surfaces.  

http://dragger.com/nose-dragger-draggers/

+1 for the 24V Nose Dragger Dragger. I bought mine used from a guy on the field who had sold his plane a couple of years earlier. The battery was bad and I've been using 2 12V old Concordes in series for about 4 years.