Centry IIB autopilot without Altitude Hold.

Highflight

ILS/GPS vertical guidance is overkill for our class of planes IMO, and comes at a much higher cost.  Altitude hold is nice, though.  You can get a STEC altitude hold "add-on" that works with the Century as far as I know, but I don't know the current costs.  In my observation most '77 models didn't come with fancy autopilots unless upgraded later by the owner in the aftermarket.

My '77 J came with an STEC-30 with altitude hold and GPSS, and I think it is a perfect solution.  Sure, I'd like to have vertical capability, but not for an extra $10k or more.  

If you're interested in a project upgrade with a lot of your labor, I have a KFC-200 autopilot from an '81 J that I'm trying to sell as a kit, complete with the computer, servos, wiring harnesses, mounting brackets, etc. for retrofit into another J.  It is a full-featured autopilot but requires input from a KI-256 Flight Director (or Aspen/Garmin aftermarket adapter).

You knew that pitch thing was going to come up some day...now you might have to learn how to control pitch.  Very frightening!

Just kidding.  Get a cheap(ish) altitude hold, and you will be good to go.  Might even have fun controlling pitch!

Highflight, I have a CenturyII B and with a GPS it will fly most routes well. For an ILS or Rnav approach I switch it to the loc mode and it will fly the localizer with the needle pegged in the donut. I do wish I had altitude hold. I had a price from Sarasota for the Stec ah for $8,500. or for the complete Stech 30 w/ hold for $13,500. I can't justify that cost so I consider the altitude hold a bit of a luxury now.

there is no recomendation to be made (sorry to be blunt)

the price probably reflect that it has a 1 axis autopilot.

if that works for you, great ... buy the plane.

if it does not, then you have 2 options:

buy the plane and add the AP of your choice

don't buy it and look for a plane that does have one.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, flying is boring enough, all I have to do up there is control altitude, I would fall asleep if I didn't have that to do.

I flew most of my IFR in my M20F with just a wing leveler. When I got my J with the CIIB I thought I had died and gone to heven!

If you cannot fly hard IFR without an autopilot, you should not be flying IFR....

• Like 1

I think a lot depends on your intended missions. If you are flying IFR a lot and on long flights, I find the altitude hold a welcomed relief and a great assist especially if I am being re-routed with a complex route. It allows me to use it as a CRM tool so I can concentrate on setting up the rest of the panel to accept the new routing. Could I do it without altitude, yep, did it for years with a basic wing leveler that worked half of the time. As for the ILS vertical guidance, as KSM stated above it, for our class of plane it may be a luxury. That said, I have that luxury, including auto trim and I have flown a number of approaches with it engaged. When you are flying single pilot IFR to a low approach, it is just another tool in the box that you can use. I can do everything my autopilot can do (and more, I can think) but will use my AP to its fullest. And for the purist out there, what I said above may be sacrilegious; but I didn't buy it for "in case of emergency, Push HDG & ALT". I bought it to be part of my CRM. APs are not cheap, even the upgrades. If you find you want/need the extra features, factor that into the FMV of the plane you are considering.

I only have a wing lever now and sometimes I wish I had altitude hold for two reasons: first so I can enjoy more the landscape below and second so I do not get busted for altitude deviation leading to loss of separation.  As a result I only file IFR when I have to due to weather.  Flight following gives you almost the same benefits and I'm not stressed out about the altitude.  If the FAA gets smart someday they should allow the more affordable a/p used in experimentals.   After all they fly IFR, don't they?.

If you cannot fly hard IFR without an autopilot, you should not be flying IFR....

I agree with that statement however, I am happy that I have altitude hold as well as vertical guidance.  I love hand flying to altitude, but once there, I enjoy engaging the AP and monitoring everything.  

This was my first small airplane that had an AP with such capabilities and once having it I sure would hate to do without it.

• Like 3

Altitude hold is almost a must for trips over two hours. Specially when you need to go or have to look for stuff on the back of the plane. I have vertical guidance for ILS/LPV approaches on the Century 31 and it works right on. All I have to do is control the power during an approach. I have never flown a 201 or later Mooney that didn't have altitude hold.

José 

I have alt hold, but...

What do you do to climb and maintain a target altitude?

I thought that I could pay attention long enough to level out when the target came. Seemed reasonable enough.

The only thing that has worked for me is to put my hand in an uncomfortable location such as the glare shield. If it comes down, that is reminder enough to put it back until the target has been reached.

Getting more experienced hasn't help this situation at all...

Your thoughts?

Best regards,

-a-

F tho

I have alt hold, but... What do you do to climb and maintain a target altitude? I thought that I could pay attention long enough to level out when the target came. Seemed reasonable enough. The only thing that has worked for me is to put my hand in an uncomfortable location such as the glare shield. If it comes down, that is reminder enough to put it back until the target has been reached. Getting more experienced hasn't help this situation at all... Your thoughts? Best regards, -a-

Been there! For years I used one of those gizmos that you place on the altimeter and set your target altitude on it. When I moved over to the Aspen, there is a target altitude alert that you can set. The STEC in my plane has vertical speed control so it could be easy to set and forget and create an issue. I have done without altitude preselect, but it would have been nice to have to complement the VS.